[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] C-RObots

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (05/16/91)

[]
Does C-RObots have graphics?  As I recall the graphics and development/test
environment of RobotWar was far far better than C-Robots.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.173626.3111@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>Does C-RObots have graphics?  As I recall the graphics and development/test
>environment of RobotWar was far far better than C-Robots.

XTank, which is a much improved, souped up, turbocharged C-Robots has
graphics, and quite a bit more.  But above and beyond that, the source
has these funny little IFDEF AMIGA's spread throughout it.  Someone with
more time than I might want to find the source and take a look at it.

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May15.173626.3111@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>Does C-RObots have graphics?  As I recall the graphics and development/test
>environment of RobotWar was far far better than C-Robots.
	Yes, the last two versions of C-Robots have had real color graphics,
although the debug mode is still lacking the "slow run" mode of RobotWar.
Perhaps you liked the integrated environment of RobotWar, but many people
(myself included) did not, and would rather have used our own editors
(I modified my copy of RobotWar to use an external text editor, and wrote up
a program that could convert "normal" ASCII file robots into the RobotWar
format and back again, just to get around using it). I actually find that
using the C-Robots debugger is MORE usefull than what was available in
RobotWar, but the "test bench" is not quite as good.

				Dave

(Oh, this comes up quite a bit. Almost at the time the Amiga 1000 came out
there was a text-only port of C-Robots done by someone with an Asian
sounding name. My version of C-Robots was not based on his, but rather was a
completely new port of the MS-DOS/Unix version of C-Robots, to which I added
many new features, improved the compiler, added graphics, etc. My version has
very little in common with his (or the MS-DOS/Unix) version of C-Robots
except that it is backwards compatible with robots written for them.
(Although you can't take "compiled" robots from my version and use them in
the other version, you can take the "source" to the robots and use them
with the MS-DOS/Unix versions, as long as you don't make use of the improved
features of my compiler).