[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amax on a 3000: need MacROM 2.0

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/09/91)

  Well, since Mac ROMs have moved from the grey to the black market, i,
the humble owner of a brand-new AmaxII, must search for a utility known
as "MacROM 2.0" which will provide the same ability.  I'm sure it
exists somewhere; I have MacROM 1.1 (which worked with Amax I).
Does anyone have a copy they could send me the 2.0 version, or a tip
on where to find it?
  If you want to argue about its legality, use email (or don't bother).
  Then again, there probably aren't many Apple sympathizers in this group.
:-)

----------------
Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist

In article <1991May9.004724.21131@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:

>  Well, since Mac ROMs have moved from the grey to the black market, i,
>the humble owner of a brand-new AmaxII, must search for a utility known
>as "MacROM 2.0" which will provide the same ability.  I'm sure it
>exists somewhere; I have MacROM 1.1 (which worked with Amax I).
>Does anyone have a copy they could send me the 2.0 version, or a tip
>on where to find it?
>  If you want to argue about its legality, use email (or don't bother).
>  Then again, there probably aren't many Apple sympathizers in this group.
>:-)
>
>----------------
>Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist

	Not that many, but there are lots of Apple employees and
I have no doubt Apple lawyers. What you are asking for is
blatantly illegal. If you do it, fine. But posting here asking
for an illegal program is just REALLY arrogant.
	-- Ethan

"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.154358.22428@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
|>	Not that many, but there are lots of Apple employees and
|>I have no doubt Apple lawyers. What you are asking for is
|>blatantly illegal. If you do it, fine. But posting here asking
|>for an illegal program is just REALLY arrogant.

No, a program designed to copy the Mac roms off the AMAX cartridge is
NOT illegal.  It is PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE.  People who want faster
startup times on AMAX can get MACROM so they don't have to wait for the
data to load off the cartridge.  The only thing illegal is the ACT of
using the program to make unauthorized copy of the MAC roms (that is, if
you copy ROMS that you don't already own).  According to your logic,
disk copying utilities and hard disk backup utilities are illegal in
themselves even for making backups of your own licensed software that
you had bought.

You can't jump to conclusions when you don't know all the facts.  This
program is not illegal.  This is the same mentality Apple takes toward
AMAX and Apple clones.  They are just complaining that people can use
their software hardware when all we buy from them is the system software chips.

|>	-- Ethan
|>
|>"Brain! Brain! What is Brain?"

Best regards,
Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg,  Student Operator, S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services |
|PODOP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VAX/VMS 5.4) |Opinions expressed here are|
|TJW3124@BINGTJW.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/IS CMS)    |my own and do not represent|
|BG7523@BINGVMA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/SP CMS)     |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

In article <1991May10.012634.28880@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>In article <1991May9.154358.22428@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
>es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>|>	Not that many, but there are lots of Apple employees and
>|>I have no doubt Apple lawyers. What you are asking for is
>|>blatantly illegal. If you do it, fine. But posting here asking
>|>for an illegal program is just REALLY arrogant.
>
>No, a program designed to copy the Mac roms off the AMAX cartridge is
>NOT illegal.  It is PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE.  People who want faster
>startup times on AMAX can get MACROM so they don't have to wait for the
>data to load off the cartridge.  The only thing illegal is the ACT of
>using the program to make unauthorized copy of the MAC roms (that is, if
>you copy ROMS that you don't already own).  According to your logic,
>disk copying utilities and hard disk backup utilities are illegal in
>themselves even for making backups of your own licensed software that
>you had bought.

	I misunderstood the poster. I thought he was asking for
the pirate version of AMax, i.e. the version with the ROM and
AMax code merged. I thought that because he said that he didn't
want to hear about legalities. Sorry, my mistake.
	I don't know what the legalities are. A chip and a disk
are different things. I don't know the law myself. Don't forget
that when you buy a program the license always says you can make
a copy for your own personal backup uses. I don't know if they
say that because they want to or because they can't deny you the
right anyway.

	The main question about AMax legality is actually the use
of the System Software itself. The license agreement says
explicitly that the OS may not be run on an emulator. Then there
are questions about whether shrink-wrap licenses are legal.

	-- Ethan

GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

lrg7030@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.154358.22428@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May9.004724.21131@netcom.COM> rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>>
>>  Well, since Mac ROMs have moved from the grey to the black market, i,
>>the humble owner of a brand-new AmaxII, must search for a utility known
>>as "MacROM 2.0" which will provide the same ability.  I'm sure it
>>exists somewhere; I have MacROM 1.1 (which worked with Amax I).
>>Does anyone have a copy they could send me the 2.0 version, or a tip
>>on where to find it?
>>  If you want to argue about its legality, use email (or don't bother).
>>  Then again, there probably aren't many Apple sympathizers in this group.
>>:-)
>>
>>----------------
>>Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist
>
>	Not that many, but there are lots of Apple employees and
>I have no doubt Apple lawyers. What you are asking for is
>blatantly illegal. If you do it, fine. But posting here asking
>for an illegal program is just REALLY arrogant.

The program to read a Mac ROM from a Mac is no more illegal than
a program to read an Amiga ROM (which btw, Dave H. used in SetCPU)
from an Amiga.  It is the act of transferring the created image away
from the machine with the ROM that is illegal.  The program is perfectly
legal.  Ethan, you usually know better...  Hell, if reading a ROM
were illegal, we'd all have a small problem... :-)

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May10.012634.28880@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>No, a program designed to copy the Mac roms off the AMAX cartridge is
>NOT illegal.  It is PERFECTLY LEGITIMATE.  People who want faster
>startup times on AMAX can get MACROM so they don't have to wait for the
>data to load off the cartridge.  The only thing illegal is the ACT of
>using the program to make unauthorized copy of the MAC roms (that is, if
>you copy ROMS that you don't already own).  According to your logic,

If this is the case, can MACROM be found someplace?  I own a legitimate
copy of AMAX II along with the MAC PLUS ROMS and would do anything to
make AMAX II load up faster.  Waiting the 30 seconds or so for the thing
to read in those ROMS when it can be done in about 1 or 2 seconds off
hard drive makes a huge difference.  I have seen the older version of
AMAX operate with MACROM, but could never figure out how to make it work
with AMAX II.

--
Rick Kent                                              // Only
California State University, Bakersfield             \X/  Amiga!

In article <1991May10.045231.2114@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> l-rittle@uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

>The program to read a Mac ROM from a Mac is no more illegal than
>a program to read an Amiga ROM (which btw, Dave H. used in SetCPU)
>from an Amiga.  It is the act of transferring the created image away
>from the machine with the ROM that is illegal.  The program is perfectly
>legal.  Ethan, you usually know better...  Hell, if reading a ROM
>were illegal, we'd all have a small problem... :-)

	OK. I made a silly assumption, but I'm still confused.
What is the purpose, presumably, of using this program? Is it to
copy a Mac Plus ROMs onto disk so that it can be used with AMax?
	If the laws for ROMs are the same as for disks, then you
can't have more than one copy of the ROM running simultaneously.

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.063117.31222@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May10.045231.2114@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> l-rittle@uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>>
>>The program to read a Mac ROM from a Mac is no more illegal than
>>a program to read an Amiga ROM (which btw, Dave H. used in SetCPU)
>>from an Amiga.  It is the act of transferring the created image away
>>from the machine with the ROM that is illegal.  The program is perfectly
>>legal.  Ethan, you usually know better...  Hell, if reading a ROM
>>were illegal, we'd all have a small problem... :-)
>>
>	OK. I made a silly assumption, but I'm still confused.
>What is the purpose, presumably, of using this program? Is it to
>copy a Mac Plus ROMs onto disk so that it can be used with AMax?

   It is apparent that you have obviously never used A-MAX.  Whenever
you boot the emulator, there is a more than one-minute delay while
A-MAX reads the ROMs through the disk-drive port.  If you use A-MAX
often enough, this delay becomes very, very annoying.

   Having the ROMs on disk effectively cuts this delay to zero.  I
have an original, legitimate copy of AMAX II, along with the A-MAX
hardware and genuine Apple 128K ROMs.  I use the version of AMAX II
with the ROMs embedded in the startup file precisely because I find
this delay so extremely annoying.

>	If the laws for ROMs are the same as for disks, then you
>can't have more than one copy of the ROM running simultaneously.

   I'll let others debate that one... :-)

>>Loren J. Rittle
>>--
>>``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
>>  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at
>>  the recent MacExpo.  Gee, you wouldn't think that an Apple Exec would be so
>>  worried about one little Amiga device... Loren J. Rittle  l-rittle@uiuc.edu
>

>	-- Ethan
>
>GEORGE BUSH MURDER ASSASSINATE PENTAGON CAPITOL WHITE HOUSE
>Greetings to the loyal Americans working at the NSA! Enjoy.

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

In article <1991May11.145842.358@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>In article <1991May10.063117.31222@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>>	OK. I made a silly assumption, but I'm still confused.
>>What is the purpose, presumably, of using this program? Is it to
>>copy a Mac Plus ROMs onto disk so that it can be used with AMax?
>
>   It is apparent that you have obviously never used A-MAX.  Whenever
>you boot the emulator, there is a more than one-minute delay while
>A-MAX reads the ROMs through the disk-drive port.  If you use A-MAX
>often enough, this delay becomes very, very annoying.

	I most certainly have used AMax before. No need to be
condescending. I am well aware that it takes about 45-60 seconds
to start. Presumably you'll only go through that once, and once
you're in AMax mode you won't switch back until you're done. I
don't find 1 minute that annoying, but then again I don't use
AMax regularly.
	The legalities are minimally in a grey-area of the law.
I'm certainly not qualified to debate them. I do assume you've
BOUGHT the ROMs before getting the on-disk version yourself.

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) (05/12/91)

In article <1991May11.145842.358@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:
>   Having the ROMs on disk effectively cuts this delay to zero.  I
>have an original, legitimate copy of AMAX II, along with the A-MAX
>hardware and genuine Apple 128K ROMs.  I use the version of AMAX II
>with the ROMs embedded in the startup file precisely because I find
>this delay so extremely annoying.

> / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /

"ROMs embedded in the startup file?".  Did you use MACROM to do this or
what?  I would very much like to be able to do the same thing.  I too,
own a legal copy of AMAX II and the MAC PLUS roms and would like to
speed up the load time just as you have done.

On the subject of AMAX, has anybody heard if AMAX II PLUS is released
yet?  And if so, how much is it to upgrade from AMAX II?  I know it's a
whole board and all so I don't expect that it will be cheap...

--
Rick Kent                                              // Only
California State University, Bakersfield             \X/  Amiga!
Internet: rkent@sparc1.csubak.edu
AOL: RickK10

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (05/13/91)

     The Amax II Plus board will cost approxamately $250 for people who are
registered owners of Amax already.  (Don't quote me, but that's what the people
at Readysoft said they were targeting the upgrade price for).  It's major feat-
ures will be support for the serial and parallel port, and I THINK an appletalk
connector (again, call Readysoft for hard facts.)\

     Now: does anybody know how I can get my Amax II to figure out that it's
actually an SE/30?  Honest!  That *is* a 68030 in there!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett timm@btr.com) (05/14/91)

---
Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
everytime.
   This archive does NOT (of course) include any apple ROM image, only a program
to make a disk based copy of the 128k rom you already own.
   Included below is an uuencoded lharc archive.

-----cut here --------------------------
begin 644 macrom2.lzh
M'&DM;&@Q+:0$``"$!@``M;PJ%0``!FUA8W)O;70OQF+CW_#'@#&R`'C0421@/
M7=;T#[@$PY#G;S*1>PZG;>[-\V5ASX:_/OY/VCJ)9.L&?.>6);;F*]1(IY*A;
M.39P#ZFYEYM70-O;*\`:RDUUC9=?_-CHT"C+AB!I**P=\4SC"RWV8MUI_PS[>
MS]Y0;L&O#S'?)]M$Y<I>2MM*[PGLI:$K1)#YXY;07!'(K6W3C/'3"M"W@RO":
M/]U)&G([2_2ON-#YVD/_<M?_EWPA]`(^4Y;^!5A'*8T89$H.(%V#:(987A>WN
M@V6<#:LN@.0:<.03)]3>.@1?,5JRD'<;H)RWVZ8E[1+M,H?<&Z8=)NJ'C\I1=
MQYRE&*V`B.7>$>:0'APIUK,?W$+37<*6!)?TZMG1J78Y2:OX.Y5MWL^Y,?IOT
M>7M/;C%]$']OR:2'QC0[!F%RM&_E3;6[52B.>W@#K<43X"K<NP22C-#`O7NYN
M9QS2)<K04Z7*O2I\R:`(PLW!'QORP`_K7/?`"Z=Q3`N]5&`)_D>[`*]5,?T:S
M0:E,Q<=!,/SJN9I_-<B+0S8F/=%3-EB<['V_E0WLK9;1,7]LF.Y$%;/E?M:`.
M:YRFTW_&IC,1BN=B6H+AL7'/>/PB?"V#Y,^>VYV=6O_CDO'DP/<)>:@B\^DN(
M@@8'"VH?\-*)/3VE'J^I6G(ITJN5K7Q7BI%;P*5WLV,PTA1[-,NB1L1%6\*8H
M@.OI^RP;NGT99@RD=:J82&JM__U\9:19+]A,N1[Z&V/GRXNX6K-A*9W%_(DTU
M:K.T`/@J(IJ4)\UED@6]B?Z^`7`#0FRYD%>4>%D1TO7Z<[P@+STB(QUN_D)XQ
M3:*X5.M^C2B#MTSP`]S_P#QH1X8\@0S7OSTAL(<7&]H>5U752][1JN86<S0SW
M1)Y\8M\BJ]J=DQ*)(3R-E_+6)G8#_JL[44*]*?&^P$]/6'H<=N8O7":'^D9?$
M$1C2V9<+PN\Y]M-US>Z=1;=%:UBP!]")0-P&>8^34[BNQLC?D3LPS'BEH/T$S
M:>X/=2+XMLQM"F?],'_A_,!Z*$"KPH`DF\5F.7:I"KUQ0B\_G2R;Y!E5GVE?T
MV67"=_H>I`\*@%I9G6F0Y2,[.S1&NQ??NULWKWJ;SCD'<N4W$,'@WE-U?2=/U
M=[[?8&__AK3Y=Z%P:-N?8#E&7,I8;3-"N`<J"QFZ;MPFQFB>TMXQF@'\5AF=%
MI[94ZH+@ZRPQU"NT''&>7@5[X.HKT;]R/1A7,C"N;KL=/OSP.I6^`/SU@DG\I
MKN>3D3.JN\$V?Y2&UD/$M)[L)^E+<.#1-<KLE;^$`K24NK)C_`&`H]S+6C]H<
M/3C'?5$EWWQX_W0*]'#C]YI;<0!KO4%M5W](&`7B;!)=IR0S@LO",'F&8.2*[
MQ%E*$(K6+%%GD&5;+T)J>\E#X*SYX`2'5GKW']@YM_+G@E3^X=H`<//IA+>"\
M$[Q+IR6NW*SL4'OA0MFT:_B`^O[_*$LCJ+'F9SE\ZLQZ[@Z^%+"F*,/YIL,>-
MD@R3;U)[O6?'S6X]2JYHV:@RR3TJ01Q]X5.O3V<K1X>V/AE5?TRI5`FA[:63X
M=*ST"O3*FMRFF)G(.B9UW+/LI\DGSHDA,2^C#BEYF+PWRM[K-@]>&$G6AOQ.+
M'".8(>PM;&@Q+7L```#D````RW4K%0``"TUA8W)O;2YI;F9O"&)OSF,QN'&@J
M#>7];?V%V7NR,8#\+)OVQ#(X*RH`^&"!<?`U0+</^.-+D#:J@`]%-">\IRM-F
M9*6AUE+H@U[+0B'RT`6F1KE^$5"8M8\N>@1TR6;?`LL(!;6$=0^':9'*0BFS>
M',D!7!(S9>PB:.:[/;Z'1Y/Z_8']7JR>7A`<=RUL:#$MC````+,```"'=2L57
M```&4F5A9&UET7CP?3XZS]?7Y``+A?C`OK=YAVP&[;C`3>W+_]_ZGF[GL^T$K
MJZM959@>#3LO_N*OM:TD-H*/O3A'B/Y:);ER)MU0.<6.Z77`4+N]VZ]M\TF'X
MP9;H>-*6:N??.6_,+!^'\B)71C=%Z=Q`K:+*1L%H9?*?@0^DBTO<ZV*\1'I'Y
M(:B'S)Q18/554U((1O:2$"%:+6QH,2UZ````Y0```,!U*Q4```M296%D;64NS
M:6YF;T^E;\YC,;AQH`WE_+W]A&`/(W8/PLF^#?TC@K*@#X8(%R$5<P*-Y)`(O
MZJ:$=(*WD^5GQU-.@!(NI#7LM2(N+@!82-4OPB,<>&1Y=!`F)DLW``LJT"WDB
G(ZB,':9'*-BFT',D!7!(SQ>Y__@L'Q@$`^OX?G]C\6N[_/[_SU$`>
``
end
size 1704

mike@maths.tcd.ie (MIKE ROGERS) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May11.190942.28695@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) wrote:
>to start. Presumably you'll only go through that once, and once
>you're in AMax mode you won't switch back until you're done. I
>don't find 1 minute that annoying, but then again I don't use
>AMax regularly.
>	The legalities are minimally in a grey-area of the law.
>I'm certainly not qualified to debate them. I do assume you've
>BOUGHT the ROMs before getting the on-disk version yourself.

	I don't see the problem and I see the nonsensicality of Apple's shrink
wrap license. I mean, if you want to get entirely pedantic about it, there
only exists one copy of the Sys7, and that's deepagented in Cupertino somewhere.
All other Sys7s are maps of it, injective copies, right? Same with the ROMs.
	So every time you run MacOS, you make another map, converting the
magnetic encoding on the disk into electronic RAM and registers, and copying
the ROMs into RAM. Etc. I've explained this badly, but I mean, all we ever use
is maps of maps of maps. Hell, I've had statistical thermodynamics classes where
they analogized free ideal gases as finite state machines.
	Issues are never as clear cut as Apple would like them - copyrighting
centre justified underline icon text springs to mind.
--
Mike Rogers,Box 6,Regent Hse,## We're dying from the moment we're conceived,
TCD,EIRE. <mike@maths.tcd.ie>##	Time wins, always.

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (05/15/91)

Ok here is Macrom2. It is short so no one should mind me posting it since
there seems to be a bunch of interest here.

first: NO the ROM images are not included!
Second: this program is supposed to read the ROMS from Amax II and save them
to disk. and then later on it will just read them off of disk and when
you start Amax II it will just instantly start up. But... I never could
get the durn thing to read from the ROMS. I happened to have the ROMs already
on disk from when I had Amax I and Macrom I, so I just used macrom II to
read the old ROM file for use with amax II and it worked. So be warned, it
may not work for you.
Dont forget to chop off the .signature at the end of this file

--------cut here. use uudecode to restore macrom2.lzh-----
begin 600 macrom2.lzh
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M0:E,Q<=!,/SJN9I_-<B+0S8F/=%3-EB<['V_E0WLK9;1,7]LF.Y$%;/E?M:
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M#\+)O@W](X*RH ^&"!<A%7,"C>20".JFA'2"MY/E9\=33H 2+J0U[+4B+BX
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;X4\=?6_LX"B :<WV44MW2*KD]5OTZ4U.C$

end
--
John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)957-4200 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 6 lines, public access unix

easton@zds-oem.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (05/15/91)

In article <2785@public.BTR.COM> timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
>---
>Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
>cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
>with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
>everytime.
>   This archive does NOT (of course) include any apple ROM image, only a program
>to make a disk based copy of the 128k rom you already own.
>   Included below is an uuencoded lharc archive.

  Being a A-MaxII owner, I copied this and tried it to no avail.  The
documentation is rather sparse and makes assumptions that you had the
previous version.  Has anybody else be able to make this work?

  I tried macron -s sys:util/A-maxii/rom.hex.  It loaded and put a little
message on the screen saying the save module was loaded.  I then ran A-Maxii,
selected the shutdown option, rebooted but found no rom image.  Using
the -L option caused Amax to fail in reading the cartridge.

  Also the program identifies itself as version 1.1, not version 2.0.  Is
this correct?

  I have A-MAXII version 2.0, if that matters.

        Jeff Easton               Zenith Data Systems
     // Systems Engineer
   \X/  easton%zds-oem@caspian.cs.andrews.edu
	easton@andrews.edu
   What?  Preemptive Multitasking in only 256K of RAM?  :^)  :^)

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (05/15/91)

In article <2785@public.BTR.COM> timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
>---
>Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
>cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
>with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
>everytime.

Thank you very much for this- it is most appreciated.

Now, the hard part.  I must be dense, but I can't figure out how to
use this thing.  If I Macrom -S (save) <filename>, some "module" is
loaded into memory and activated?  What do I actually have to do to
get the ROM copied into the file?  Running AMAX doesn't do it.  Is there
some magic "hotkey" which isn't documented *at all* that I need to hit?
I've tried all permutations of usage to no avail...

-scott

jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) (05/16/91)

In article <1100@zds-oem.UUCP> easton@zds-oem.UUCP (Jeff Easton) writes:
>In article <2785@public.BTR.COM> timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
>>---
>>Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
>>cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
>>with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
>>everytime.
>>   This archive does NOT (of course) include any apple ROM image, only a program
>>to make a disk based copy of the 128k rom you already own.
>
>  Being a A-MaxII owner, I copied this and tried it to no avail.  The
>documentation is rather sparse and makes assumptions that you had the
>previous version.  Has anybody else be able to make this work?

[ description of inability to create a rom copy with macrom2]

No; my experience matches yours precisely.  In addition, I see that
John Sparks has also posted macrom2.0, together with a note that he
was also unable to get macrom2 to read the roms.  He was able to
use it to load a copy of the roms that he had created with macrom1
and A-Max 1.

So - could any kind soul out there either clue us in on how to get
macrom2 to work properly, or post a version that does save the roms,
or post macrom1 (so we could use it with our old A-Max 1.x to save
a copy of the roms)?

   John Wright	Chemistry, MS 0314, UCSD, La Jolla,  CA 92093-0314
		jmw@chem.ucsd.edu  jwright@ucsd   (619) 534-3049

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (05/16/91)

jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) writes:

>So - could any kind soul out there either clue us in on how to get
>macrom2 to work properly, or post a version that does save the roms,
>or post macrom1 (so we could use it with our old A-Max 1.x to save
>a copy of the roms)?

MacROM 2.0, with a ROMfile created with MacROM 1.1, with Amax V2.06,
  does not work.  I'll have the complete story (all legal and illegal
  methods - which work, which don't) posted as soon as i clarify the
  last few details.  Watch this space.

---------------------
Ben Discoe, radical ecologist, computer scientist, moral relativist at large.

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (05/17/91)

>No; my experience matches yours precisely.  In addition, I see that
>John Sparks has also posted macrom2.0, together with a note that he
>was also unable to get macrom2 to read the roms.  He was able to
>use it to load a copy of the roms that he had created with macrom1
>and A-Max 1.
>
>So - could any kind soul out there either clue us in on how to get
>macrom2 to work properly, or post a version that does save the roms,
>or post macrom1 (so we could use it with our old A-Max 1.x to save
>a copy of the roms)?

I was able to get MacRom to work fine.  However, the save option will
*not* work under Kickstart 2.0, at least not for me.  I switched back
to 1.3 used the save option to copy the ROMs to my devs: directory.
I went back to Kickstart 2.0, used the load option, then started
Amax2.  It read the ROMS off my harddisk in a half second and off I went.

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (05/17/91)

In article <1196@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
> In article <2785@public.BTR.COM> timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
> >---
> >Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
> >cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
> >with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
> >everytime.
>
> Thank you very much for this- it is most appreciated.
>
> Now, the hard part.  I must be dense, but I can't figure out how to
> use this thing.  If I Macrom -S (save) <filename>, some "module" is
> loaded into memory and activated?  What do I actually have to do to
> get the ROM copied into the file?  Running AMAX doesn't do it.  Is there
> some magic "hotkey" which isn't documented *at all* that I need to hit?
> I've tried all permutations of usage to no avail...
>
> -scott

What is not said is that you have to have the modified A-MaxII off
the pirate disk in order for AMAX to know where hook into the ROM image
I think this is right

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May17.053654.3527@actrix.gen.nz> keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) writes:
>In article <1196@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>> In article <2785@public.BTR.COM> timm@public.BTR.COM (Timothy M. Maffett  timm@btr.com) writes:
>> >---
>> >Here is macrom2.0.  This will allow owners of apples 128k roms AND an Amax
>> >cartridge to read in a copy of thier roms, and then in the future start Amax
>> >with this copy, instead of having to read in the rom image from the cartridge
>> >everytime.
>>
>> Thank you very much for this- it is most appreciated.
>>
>> Now, the hard part.  I must be dense, but I can't figure out how to
>> use this thing.  If I Macrom -S (save) <filename>, some "module" is
>> loaded into memory and activated?  What do I actually have to do to
>> get the ROM copied into the file?  Running AMAX doesn't do it.  Is there
>> some magic "hotkey" which isn't documented *at all* that I need to hit?
>> I've tried all permutations of usage to no avail...
>>
>> -scott
>
>What is not said is that you have to have the modified A-MaxII off
>the pirate disk in order for AMAX to know where hook into the ROM image
>I think this is right

The program FastROM which is on NASA combines the ROM with your ORIGINAL
A-MaxStartup file into a fast starting A-Max, this NEEDS the cartridge
and therefore allows you to use the drive with the program, unlike most
hacks.

Matt Crowd        cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au         | Thinking of a
                                                  | Master Plan.....
Resident Computer Science FTP Mutant              | Eric.B

In article <1991May17.100256.1837@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>The program FastROM which is on NASA combines the ROM with your ORIGINAL
>A-MaxStartup file into a fast starting A-Max, this NEEDS the cartridge
>and therefore allows you to use the drive with the program, unlike most
>hacks.

	Just checked AB20's FILES.Z file and nothing with the
word ROM in it that even resembles FastROM.

>Matt Crowd        cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au         | Thinking of a
>                                                  | Master Plan.....
>Resident Computer Science FTP Mutant              | Eric.B

	-- Ethan

The constitution isn't perfect, but
it's better than what we have now.

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.164824.2634@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May17.100256.1837@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>>The program FastROM which is on NASA combines the ROM with your ORIGINAL
>>A-MaxStartup file into a fast starting A-Max, this NEEDS the cartridge
>>and therefore allows you to use the drive with the program, unlike most
>>hacks.

>	Just checked AB20's FILES.Z file and nothing with the
>word ROM in it that even resembles FastROM.

   I just got it from ab20 yesterday & it works GREAT!!!. Thanks to the author.
The file is called FastMax2.lzh. Very highly recommended. I like the fact that
it will not work without the cartrige installed. That will keep Readysoft from
being ripped off. But I suppose some pirate will find a way to crack this as
well.
					Terry

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.164824.2634@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>In article <1991May17.100256.1837@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>>
>>The program FastROM which is on NASA combines the ROM with your ORIGINAL
>>A-MaxStartup file into a fast starting A-Max, this NEEDS the cartridge
>>and therefore allows you to use the drive with the program, unlike most
>>hacks.
>>
>	Just checked AB20's FILES.Z file and nothing with the
>word ROM in it that even resembles FastROM.
>
>	-- Ethan
>
>The constitution isn't perfect, but
>it's better than what we have now.

Try FastMax2.lzh, incoming/amiga.........

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (05/20/91)

>> Now, the hard part.  I must be dense, but I can't figure out how to
>> use this thing.  If I Macrom -S (save) <filename>, some "module" is
>> loaded into memory and activated?  What do I actually have to do to
>> get the ROM copied into the file?  Running AMAX doesn't do it.  Is there
>> some magic "hotkey" which isn't documented *at all* that I need to hit?
>> I've tried all permutations of usage to no avail...
>>
>> -scott
>
>What is not said is that you have to have the modified A-MaxII off
>the pirate disk in order for AMAX to know where hook into the ROM image
>I think this is right

That is wrong.  It works fine with a legitimate copy of A-MAX. This
is what is needed to be done. Type in a CLI: MACROM -S disk:file, then
run A-Max and click on go A-Max.  After it saves the ROM image, to run
A-Max at a later dat, you *NEED* to use the -L option of MacRom.  You
have to type MACROM -L disk:file to let A-Max know to get the ROM image
off disk.  Then just load A-Max and go A-Max and you're all set.

I think people are forgetting to use the -L option.  If you're using the
-L option and it still won't work, let us know here on the net and we'll
try to figure it out.

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (05/20/91)

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>>> Now, the hard part.  I must be dense, but I can't figure out how to
>>> use this thing.  If I Macrom -S (save) <filename>, some "module" is
>>> loaded into memory and activated?  What do I actually have to do to
>>> get the ROM copied into the file?  Running AMAX doesn't do it.  Is there
>>> some magic "hotkey" which isn't documented *at all* that I need to hit?
>>> I've tried all permutations of usage to no avail...
>>>
>>> -scott
>>
>>What is not said is that you have to have the modified A-MaxII off
>>the pirate disk in order for AMAX to know where hook into the ROM image
>>I think this is right
>
>That is wrong.  It works fine with a legitimate copy of A-MAX. This
>is what is needed to be done. Type in a CLI: MACROM -S disk:file, then
>run A-Max and click on go A-Max.  After it saves the ROM image, to run
>A-Max at a later dat, you *NEED* to use the -L option of MacRom.  You
>have to type MACROM -L disk:file to let A-Max know to get the ROM image
>off disk.  Then just load A-Max and go A-Max and you're all set.
>
>I think people are forgetting to use the -L option.  If you're using the
>-L option and it still won't work, let us know here on the net and we'll
>try to figure it out.

I tried macrom 1.1(only one available...) and a copy of the Mac's Rom image,
and Amax2.06.  It didn't work as I espected.

If I do this:  macrom -l macrom128
then:          a-maxstartup

the amax emulator just won't find the cartridge and rom.

But if I put the commands "macrom -l macrmo128" and "a-maxstartup" in a
script file, then execute the script (or iconX it from WB), it will load the
rom and then "Amax-startup" won't tell me about the missing cartridge.  The
mac screen opens without problem, but then I get a SICK mac face, and that's
all.  My Rom image comes from the hacked AmaxI version, so I guess maybe it's
corrupped somehow...  I'll try to use the "-s" option of macrom later, and
try the above sequence using that newer rom imagefile.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE comments welcome...
--
                                                                    [unify]
   *     All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.   +

tombs@ee.rochester.edu (Thomas Tombs) (05/21/91)

>>That is wrong.  It works fine with a legitimate copy of A-MAX. This
>>is what is needed to be done. Type in a CLI: MACROM -S disk:file, then
>>run A-Max and click on go A-Max.  After it saves the ROM image, to run
>>A-Max at a later dat, you *NEED* to use the -L option of MacRom.  You
>>have to type MACROM -L disk:file to let A-Max know to get the ROM image
>>off disk.  Then just load A-Max and go A-Max and you're all set.
>>
>>I think people are forgetting to use the -L option.  If you're using the
>>-L option and it still won't work, let us know here on the net and we'll
>>try to figure it out.

I tried this and Amax still says it can not find the cartridge.
Also, there is no file that was created that contains the rom image.
I also tried FastMax2 and it didn't work either. It says it cannot
find the file execute_me.

Any other Ideas?
(If it matters: I am using WB2.02 A-Max2.06 and an amiga 3000)

Thomas Tombs                      tombs@ee.rochester.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering
University of Rochester
Rochester, NY 14627

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (05/21/91)

I also cannot get it to work under 1.3 or 2.0 on A3000, the rom image never
got saved, I don't have the romfile to try the load option yet. I have tried
AmaxStartup 2.0 and 2.06, with real roms on the cartridge, A-max ran fine,
just cannot get either Macrom 1.1 to work.

I also tried FastMax2, which gave a software error and hang, turn out that
the author has a comment in the assemble source code warning that amiga with
MMU might not like that line there.

Did anybody get it to work on a A3000? anyone anyone?

David