[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] HELP!

mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/19/91)

   I'm considering acquiring a 3000/16 (it seems to be a logical upgrade for
me), but I'm also going to need to use an Ethernet that will work in either a
Mac or IBM emulation mode.  The easiest way to go SEEMED to be with the XT
bridgeboard, which only takes up one slot (leaving one IBM slot open for the
ethernet board).  But I am not fully "up" on the limitations of bridgeboard.
For this I have some questions:

                   -Amiga drives do not work as 720K drives in IBM mode, right?
So could I use an internal 3.5" IBM drive and chuck it into the other internal
drive slot?  (Will the 3.5" drive work with an XT Bridgeboard?)

                   -Would it be possible to use an Amiga ethernet in AMAX and
just use Mac software to drive the ethernet board?

                   -Are there any other emulators available (other than
bridgeboards) that allow use of the IBM slots in IBM emulation?

                   -Would the file converter that comes with bridgeboards
allow one to convert files between partitions? (Amiga <-> MS-DOS)

sticht@edith.UUCP (Stefan Sticht) (05/20/91)

>In article <1991May18.210345.4918@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>                   -Amiga drives do not work as 720K drives in IBM mode, right?
You  can  use  CrossDOS  (commercial)  or MSH (Fish-Disks) to read and
write  720k  MS-DOS  disks  on  the Amiga side and use ARead/AWrite or
ATCopy   (Fish-Disks)   to   exchange  the  files  between  Amiga  and
Bridgeboard.   This  would  be cheaper than buying an additional drive
for the bridgeboard.

Stefan Sticht
Internet: cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!edith!sticht@rutgers.EDU
      or: IWSTICHT@ibm.rz.uni-passau.de
Fido-Net: Stefan Sticht (2:242/16:4)

mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (05/20/91)

In article <sticht.6340@edith.UUCP>,
sticht@edith.UUCP (Stefan Sticht) writes:
>>In article <1991May18.210345.4918@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>>                   -Amiga drives do not work as 720K drives in IBM mode, right?
> You  can  use  CrossDOS  (commercial)  or MSH (Fish-Disks) to read and
> write  720k  MS-DOS  disks  on  the Amiga side and use ARead/AWrite or
> ATCopy   (Fish-Disks)   to   exchange  the  files  between  Amiga  and
> Bridgeboard.   This  would  be cheaper than buying an additional drive
> for the bridgeboard.
>
> Stefan Sticht

    Yeah, but you'd have a 720K cap (couldn't copy files greater than 720K),
and you couldn't copy files directly to the hard drive.  You also couldn't
use the drives for hard drive backups that do non-DOS storage (like PC-Tools).
This could be a potential problem for manipulating large amounts of IBM data,
as in software installation of Word Perfect..

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.210345.4918@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>   I'm considering acquiring a 3000/16 (it seems to be a logical upgrade for
>me), but I'm also going to need to use an Ethernet that will work in either a
>Mac or IBM emulation mode.  The easiest way to go SEEMED to be with the XT
>bridgeboard, which only takes up one slot (leaving one IBM slot open for the
>ethernet board).  But I am not fully "up" on the limitations of bridgeboard.
>For this I have some questions:
>
>                   -Amiga drives do not work as 720K drives in IBM mode, right?
>So could I use an internal 3.5" IBM drive and chuck it into the other internal
>drive slot?  (Will the 3.5" drive work with an XT Bridgeboard?)

correct - the bridgeboard cannot directly access the amiga's 3.5" drive.
correct - you can attach another 3.5" PC drive to the bridgeboard and put it
in the 3000's other drive slot (make sure the eject button aligns with the
faceplate of the 3000).  the only hitch is that the janus software for the pc
side comes on 5.25" 360K floppies - you'll need a 5.25" drive to install
ms-dos and the janus software.  after that you can make the 3.5" drive the
"A:" drive and you're all set.  (well, the 2088's BIOS thinks all it's
floppies are 40 track - ms-dos is smart enough to know better, except when
you need format a disk.  then you need a DRIVPARM thing in your config.sys).

>                   -Would it be possible to use an Amiga ethernet in AMAX and
>just use Mac software to drive the ethernet board?

doesn't sound very likely, but i don't know much about amax.

>                   -Are there any other emulators available (other than
>bridgeboards) that allow use of the IBM slots in IBM emulation?

nope.  the atonce is available in a zorro II card form, but it doesn't
connect to the pc/at slots.

>                   -Would the file converter that comes with bridgeboards
>allow one to convert files between partitions? (Amiga <-> MS-DOS)

it allows you to move files back and forth between systems, and allows you
to do basic filtering on text files (cr/lf <-> lf, IBM font <-> amiga font).

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May18.210345.4918@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>me), but I'm also going to need to use an Ethernet that will work in either a
>Mac or IBM emulation mode.  The easiest way to go SEEMED to be with the XT

Do you need TCP/IP, ARC, DECNET?  These are all out in *native* mode
for the Amiga.  Same with AppleTalk.

No need to emulate, my friend.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
"The final twitch of "Political Correctness" grand peur has to do with the

In article <1991May18.210345.4918@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> mx8@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>   I'm considering acquiring a 3000/16 (it seems to be a logical upgrade for
>me), but I'm also going to need to use an Ethernet that will work in either a
>Mac or IBM emulation mode.  The easiest way to go SEEMED to be with the XT
>bridgeboard, which only takes up one slot (leaving one IBM slot open for the
>ethernet board).  But I am not fully "up" on the limitations of bridgeboard.
>For this I have some questions:
>
>                   -Amiga drives do not work as 720K drives in IBM mode, right?
>So could I use an internal 3.5" IBM drive and chuck it into the other internal
>drive slot?  (Will the 3.5" drive work with an XT Bridgeboard?)

Yes, but only with 720 KB.

>                   -Would it be possible to use an Amiga ethernet in AMAX and
>just use Mac software to drive the ethernet board?

No idea.

>                   -Are there any other emulators available (other than
>bridgeboards) that allow use of the IBM slots in IBM emulation?

Not that I know. But there are said to exist solutions to make a PC-side
card available to the Amiga bus under AmigaDOS.

>                   -Would the file converter that comes with bridgeboards
>allow one to convert files between partitions? (Amiga <-> MS-DOS)

Yes, that's what it's designed for.

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (05/21/91)

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
[bridgeboard facts deleted]

>nope.  the atonce is available in a zorro II card form, but it doesn't
>connect to the pc/at slots.

Does anyone know if  this ATonce , version in the ZorroII card form, would
work in the A3000? My understanding is that is to make it more compatible
with the A2000, and the A500 one is just plug in 68000, as in the ads.

>  --Scotty
>--
>Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
>Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
>		         PHONE - yes.
>"Have you hugged your hog today?"

David