[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBeM 68000, first impressions.....

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (05/22/91)

Here are some first impressions of the IBeM 68k emulator.

The program was quite easy to get up and running with just one
mount command needed, I had the MessyFileSystem already installed,
put in a 3.5" IBM Bootable DOS disk and up it came.

The first program I tried was PC Tools ver(?), remembering that the
Transformer gave a speed rating, relative to the original PC ie.
4.77 MHz, of 10%, I was keen to see how this performed with the
colour emulation and multitasking capabilities. The rating was exactly
the same 10%.

The first problem I encountered was that if your boot disk has no
AUTOEXEC.BAT file, when it prompts for the date upon bootup and hangs.

I also managed to crash the emulator with PC Tools, after testing the
speed with Info, I hit ESCape to exit and it went back to AmigaDOS and
said "INVALID INSTRUCTION ENCOUNTED AT 1a44:1777". I've sent this to
Mark for him to investigate.

Overall the emulator is fun for the 68000 user and definately not for
running any serious software due to the lack of speed.

My system is a 2000HD (Quantum 52) + 3meg, AmigaDOS 1.3.

Matt Crowd        cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au         | Thinking of a
                                                  | Master Plan.....
Resident Computer Science FTP Mutant              | Eric.B

wild@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Markus Wild) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.084913.4925@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:
>The first program I tried was PC Tools ver(?), remembering that the
>Transformer gave a speed rating, relative to the original PC ie.
>4.77 MHz, of 10%, I was keen to see how this performed with the
>colour emulation and multitasking capabilities. The rating was exactly
>the same 10%.

I tried this too, and I got some 70%. I'm using a A3000/25. However, I also
tried 'si', and this gave 1.2, so what about a third speedometer;-)

>I also managed to crash the emulator with PC Tools, after testing the

Yep, this happened to me too, I was using PCTools4.2 if that matters (I'm using
quite an old MSDOS boot disk I once organized to test transformer;-))

What I really liked in this version is that the flickering scrolling of the
former release is fixed, I'd say scrolling speed is now comparable to the
2088 bridgeboard (in a 4plane display, unfortunately hardly anyone uses 4,
2 are usually enough, and with 3 planes you can run 95% of all programs, at
quite a noticeable speed increase).

--
Markus M. Wild    - mwild@iiic.ethz.ch  |  wild@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch
--

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (05/23/91)

wild@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch (Markus Wild) writes:

>I tried this too, and I got some 70%. I'm using a A3000/25. However, I also
>tried 'si', and this gave 1.2, so what about a third speedometer;-)

You were probably using SI v4.5.  Try v5.0 - it is supposed to be much
more accurate.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu