[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] How do I get MSH to work on my A500?

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) (05/25/91)

I'm trying to get MSH to work on my A500 running AMIGADOS 1.3. I have had
limited success getting the mount function to accept the example Mountlist
file with some minor modifications. When I enter

  >mount msh: from Mountlist

my Amiga responds with

 "Reserved not assigned".

Here is the mountlist entry that I'm using:

/* Messy file system on messy blocks: */
MSH:	FileSystem = ram:MessyFileSystem
	Device = ram:messydisk.device
	Unit = 1
	Flags = 0
	LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
	Surfaces = 2
	BlocksPerTrack = 9
	Buffers = 5
	BufMemType = 1	/* messydisk needs no chip mem */
	BootPri = 0
	Stacksize = 4096
	Priority = 5
	GlobVec  = -1
#

I have all the MSH files on the ram: drive as stated in the above file entry.
When I put an MS-DOS formatted disk into drive 1, I get the standard "Bad
Disk" icon and cannot access the disk using any amigados commands.

What do I need to do next?

Thanks for the help.

-wally

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (05/27/91)

 AThe error message gives the reason why its not working, but its fairly
obscure.  A parameter "Reserved" should be in the mountlist.  So it should
look like this:

msh: FileSystem = ram:MessyFileSystem
 Device = messydisk.device
 Unit = 1
 Flags = 0
 LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
 Reserved = 0  /* IMPORANT */
 Surfaces = 2
 BlocksPerTrack = 9
 Buffers = 5
 BuffMemType = 1
 BootPri = 0
 StackSize = 4096
 Priority = 5
 GlobVec = -1
#
--
Apple II Forever |       6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu      | IBMs get the job done
Parik Rao       |      Amiga - for the creative mind     |        Class of 1994

gereon@shadow.ish.de (Gereon Ziegelowski) (05/27/91)

In article <4206@polari.UUCP>, walter santarelli writes:

> I'm trying to get MSH to work on my A500 running AMIGADOS 1.3. I have had
> limited success getting the mount function to accept the example Mountlist
> file with some minor modifications. When I enter

Try the following configuration.

snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip-----snip

/*
 *  This Mountlist is just an example. Edit the locations of
 *  messydisk.device and MessyFileSystem appropriately.
 */
/* Messy file system on messy blocks: */
MSH:    FileSystem = L:MessyFileSystem /* or messydos:l/MessyFileSystem */
        Device = messydisk.device      /* or messydos:devs/messydisk.device */
        Unit = 1
        Flags = 0
        LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
        Reserved = 0
        Surfaces = 2
        BlocksPerTrack = 9
        Buffers = 5
        BufMemType = 1  /* messydisk needs no chip mem */
        BootPri = 0
        Stacksize = 4096
        Priority = 5
        GlobVec  = -1
#
MS2:    FileSystem = L:MessyFileSystem /* or messydos:l/MessyFileSystem */
        Device = messydisk.device      /* or messydos:devs/messydisk.device */
        Unit = 2
        Flags = 0
        LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
        Reserved = 0
        Surfaces = 2
        BlocksPerTrack = 9
        Buffers = 5
        BufMemType = 1  /* messydisk needs no chip mem */
        BootPri = 0
        Stacksize = 4096
        Priority = 5
        GlobVec  = -1
#
/* Example: Messy blocks mapped to a flat file: */
RDF:    FileSystem = messydos:l/RDF-Handler
        Device = messydisk.device      /* or messydos:devs/messydisk.device */
        Unit = 1
        Flags = 0
        Stacksize = 4096
        Priority = 4
        GlobVec  = -1
#
/* Weird example: Amiga Old filing system on messy blocks: */
MF1:    Device = messydisk.device      /* or messydos:devs/messydisk.device */
        Unit = 1
        Flags = 0
        Priority = 4
        LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
        Reserved = 2
        Surfaces = 2
        BlocksPerTrack = 9
        Buffers = 5
        BufMemType = 1
        BootPri = 0
#
/* Weird example: Messy file system on Amiga blocks: */
DS1:    FileSystem = L:MessyFileSystem /* or messydos:l/MessyFileSystem */
        Device = trackdisk.device
        Unit = 1
        Flags = 0
        LowCyl = 0 ; HighCyl = 79
        Reserved = 0
        Surfaces = 2
        BlocksPerTrack = 11
        Buffers = 5
        BufMemType = 3  /* trackdisk needs CHIP mem */
        BootPri = 0
        Stacksize = 4096
        Priority = 5
        GlobVec  = -1
#
/*
[...]

Gereon Ziegelowski - Internet: gereon@shadow.ish.de -- gereon@shadow.sub.org
Moltkestr.5 - D-4156 Willich 1 - FRG | Voice +49 2154 2273 /\ FIDO: 2:242/21

aites@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Jim Aites) (05/27/91)

re: mounting Msh into ram:

First remember to do your assigns to include the following

MSH:   FileSystem = L:MessyFileSystem
       Device = DEVS:messydisk.device.

The assigns sould be in this format:
assign l: ram:l

As I recall, the devs and Lassigns MUST be done...but I could be wrong.
(no sig.) Jim 8')s