[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] SMSH still not working & Thanks for the help!

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) (05/28/91)

Thanks for the reponses on the last post, but I'm still experiencing trouble
with MSH. I fixed the "reserved not assigned" problem, but I still get no
reponse from MS-DOS disks. I understood from the man files accompanying the
programs that MSH should enable one to use Messy-DOS disks pretty much the way
one uses amiga disks. Is this false? I cannot even get a simple directory of
any MS-DOS disks. (When I type "dir MSH:", the disk spins and LED comes
on hanging up the drive until I reboot. I know the disks are okay, I just
checked them on an another machine.

Are in-depth instructions for the use of MSH available? If so I'd appreciate
someone mailing them to me at

  wally@polari.uucp.

Thanks in advance.

-wally

1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.OZ.AU (05/28/91)

In article <4258@polari.UUCP> wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:

[.... Stuff deleted ....]

>any MS-DOS disks. (When I type "dir MSH:", the disk spins and LED comes
>on hanging up the drive until I reboot. I know the disks are okay, I just
>checked them on an another machine.

This sounds like a blown INDEX signal on your floppy drive. I had exactly
the same problem on my A500. The same configuration worked perfectly on
my A2500. The internal drive in the A500 had the INDEX line busted. The
external drives wouldn't work either, because the internal drive affected
the whole Shuggart bus. (That's the kind of interface that your Ami uses
to talk to the disk drives.)
         One easy way of finding out if your disk drive is stuffed up ie.
FUBAR, is to run Xcopy (Commercial product by Cachet) version 2 or above,
and switch it to nibble mode, SYNC on INDX. Then trying to copy a disk using
the internal drive (or any others that you might have.) If it comes up with
an error message down at the bottom of the screen saying something like NO
INDEX PULSE then you know that your drive is blown. My suggestion is to get
it fixed. Chances are that you will need a new drive mechanism, but it could
be the CIA's that are at fault.

	As I said I had the same problem with exactly the same symptoms, but
there could be other reasons for the lock ups, although that seems unlikely
to me.
			Good Luck with it,
						Peter Urbanec.

				s1013734@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au
				 1013734@hydra.maths.unsw.oz.au

		---- The only sin is stupidity. ----

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (05/28/91)

wally@polari.UUCP (walter santarelli) writes:

>Thanks for the reponses on the last post, but I'm still experiencing trouble
>with MSH. I fixed the "reserved not assigned" problem, but I still get no
>reponse from MS-DOS disks. I understood from the man files accompanying the
>programs that MSH should enable one to use Messy-DOS disks pretty much the way
>one uses amiga disks. Is this false? I cannot even get a simple directory of
>any MS-DOS disks. (When I type "dir MSH:", the disk spins and LED comes
>on hanging up the drive until I reboot. I know the disks are okay, I just
>checked them on an another machine.

>Are in-depth instructions for the use of MSH available? If so I'd appreciate
>someone mailing them to me at

  I assume you are using 720K discs in DF0: If so, make sure the entry in
the mountlist called 'unit' is set to 0. ie.
   Unit = 0
Otherwise, it won't work. This is what I do on a 2Mb single floppy A500.
(And it has worked on a 512K and a 1Mb and a 1.5Mb, cause I've had all
those configurations as well :-)

>  wally@polari.uucp.

>Thanks in advance.

thatsok.

>-wally
| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |      This side for lease...        |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        | (No disclaimer, can't afford it:-) |