[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBeM and speed.....

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (05/28/91)

Howdy from Texas....

      I have successfully gotten IBeM to work on my 16 mhz A3000.  It works
great except for some speed weirdness.  Let me explain.  In the supplied
documentation Mark Tomlinson states the that the 030 version is optimized to
work with the 030 and *SHOULD* run faster.  Let me explain a case where this
ISN'T true...

My 3000 has 4 megs, 2 chip and 2 fast (80ns SCRAM).  The 030 version of IBeM
looks for 1 contiguous MEG of mem.  With my OS and all loaded I only usually
have about 600k left of FAST (remembering that KS takes up 512k of FAST mem and
that leaves me with 1.5 megs of fast anyway).  With that in mind and since
IBeM030 looks for 1 meg, IBeM030 goes for CHIP mem (which is all I have in that
amount).  We *ALL* know how slow CHIP mem can be.  Anyway, if I run the IBeM000
version, I notice it grabs memory from where ever it can.  This means, some
from FAST and some from CHIP.  Since it uses fast memory (probably for it's own
code) it actually runs quite a BIT faster than the 030 version.  Even though SI
4.0 may be inacurate I got these figures on my 16 mhz machine.  With the 030
version it was .3 the speed of an XT.  With the 000 version (using BURST mem),
I got .5-.6 the speed (using other things in the background too).  I actually
got it up to .7 the speed once (using the 000 version).  Now I'd like to see
the 030 version running in the SCRAM FAST mem in BURST.  I'll bet it really
blazes.

Oh, and it DOES work with CrossDos just fine.

Brian Wright
wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu   or   wright@etsuvax2.bitnet
Standard Disclaimer... not my words and all that jazz.

ottmar@ajberl.UUCP (Ottmar Roehrig) (06/01/91)

>In article <1991May28.083848.47113@vaxb.acs.unt.edu> wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) writes:
>Howdy from Texas....
>
>      I have successfully gotten IBeM to work on my 16 mhz A3000.  It works
>great except for some speed weirdness.  Let me explain.  In the supplied
>documentation Mark Tomlinson states the that the 030 version is optimized to
>work with the 030 and *SHOULD* run faster.  Let me explain a case where this
>ISN'T true...

Could someone please tell me where I can get IBeM? (I just came to the
net again after a pause of 3 months...)

Thanx in advance,

Ottmar
=
AtelierRoehrig, Ottmar Roehrig, Hamburg, Germany
  UUCP: ...!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmger!ajberl!ottmar

  "Free your mind and your body will follow..."
     (Common sentence at Tekknozid-Parties)