[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] 286 bridgeboard problem

kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) (06/05/91)

     A friend of mine has an Amiga 2000, with a 105 meg quantum hd, and
a 286 bridgeboard.  He has a 45 meg pc file that he created with makeab
and his access time once inside the pc is pathetically dog slow.  Has
anyone else had this problem? or any solutions to this problem?  any
help at all would be greatly appreciated.
--

Internet: Kelson@ais.org

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (06/05/91)

In article <97XCJ-=@irie.ais.org> kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:

>     A friend of mine has an Amiga 2000, with a 105 meg quantum hd, and
>a 286 bridgeboard.  He has a 45 meg pc file that he created with makeab
>and his access time once inside the pc is pathetically dog slow.  Has
>anyone else had this problem? or any solutions to this problem?  any
>help at all would be greatly appreciated.

there are two things to do.  one is a hardware change which will void
the bridgeboard's warranty and give up to 4 times more fake pc partition
performance.  the other is to use ADDBUFFERS (use a large number, such
as 400, for 45 meg), or similar hard disk cache software.

the hardware change for the A2286 is as follows:

1) lift pin 6 of U72 out of the socket.
2) attach one end of a wire to the pin, and the other end of the wire
   to J17A pin 30.

** NOTE THAT THE ABOVE CHANGE VOIDS YOUR BRIDGEBOARD'S WARRANTY. **
** NEITHER MYSELF NOR COMMODORE CAN ASSUME LIABILITY IF YOU DAMAGE **
** THE BRIDGEBOARD OR THE AMIGA **

>Internet: Kelson@ais.org

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp (Brian Yamanaka) (06/05/91)

Please remember that all communication between Amiga and BB's are down
through a dual port RAM of 128K.  Since the directory has to be read
before each access and then the file has to be accessed this can
create some real slow response times.

One easy solution that has worked for me is to give the partition that
has the PC file a large buffer area.  Use addbuffers with something
like >250.  This has given me more respectable response times.  Of
course if you are working with very large files this will nothelp too
much.

  Brian YAMANAKA (aka The VISCA dude)    |"I knew I should have made that
  Sony Corporation, Personal Video Group | left turn at Albuquerque."
  Email: yamanaka@cv.sony.co.jp          |                      -Bugs Bunny
  Phone: +81-3-5488-6160                 |
    FAX: +81-3-5488-6469                 |Hawaii,Illinois,Japan...what's next?

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:

>In article <97XCJ-=@irie.ais.org> kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:
>>
>>     A friend of mine has an Amiga 2000, with a 105 meg quantum hd, and
>>a 286 bridgeboard.  He has a 45 meg pc file that he created with makeab
>>and his access time once inside the pc is pathetically dog slow.  Has
>>anyone else had this problem? or any solutions to this problem?  any
>>help at all would be greatly appreciated.

>there are two things to do.  one is a hardware change which will void
>the bridgeboard's warranty and give up to 4 times more fake pc partition
>performance.  the other is to use ADDBUFFERS (use a large number, such
>as 400, for 45 meg), or similar hard disk cache software.

>the hardware change for the A2286 is as follows:

>1) lift pin 6 of U72 out of the socket.
>2) attach one end of a wire to the pin, and the other end of the wire
>   to J17A pin 30.

>** NOTE THAT THE ABOVE CHANGE VOIDS YOUR BRIDGEBOARD'S WARRANTY. **
>** NEITHER MYSELF NOR COMMODORE CAN ASSUME LIABILITY IF YOU DAMAGE **
>** THE BRIDGEBOARD OR THE AMIGA **

>>Internet: Kelson@ais.org

>  --Scotty

  Ok.. thanks a BUNCH! we will give that a try...

--

Internet: Kelson@ais.org

burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de (Klaus Burkert) (06/05/91)

In article <22167@cbmvax.commodore.com> drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
>In article <97XCJ-=@irie.ais.org> kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:
>>
>>     A friend of mine has an Amiga 2000, with a 105 meg quantum hd, and
>>a 286 bridgeboard.  He has a 45 meg pc file that he created with makeab
>>and his access time once inside the pc is pathetically dog slow.  Has
>>anyone else had this problem? or any solutions to this problem?  any
>>help at all would be greatly appreciated.
>
>there are two things to do.  one is a hardware change which will void
>the bridgeboard's warranty and give up to 4 times more fake pc partition
>performance.  the other is to use ADDBUFFERS (use a large number, such
>as 400, for 45 meg), or similar hard disk cache software.
>
>the hardware change for the A2286 is as follows:
>
>1) lift pin 6 of U72 out of the socket.
>2) attach one end of a wire to the pin, and the other end of the wire
>   to J17A pin 30.
>
>** NOTE THAT THE ABOVE CHANGE VOIDS YOUR BRIDGEBOARD'S WARRANTY. **
>** NEITHER MYSELF NOR COMMODORE CAN ASSUME LIABILITY IF YOU DAMAGE **
>** THE BRIDGEBOARD OR THE AMIGA **

I've had similar problems with  my A2088 and a 15MB-File on a GVP I.
There is one easy solution without voiding warranty:
 simply throw in an additional HD for the PC-side!
After switching to an A2286 I did it with an IDE ST-1102A and it runs like
hell:

  CORETEST -> transfer about 1009KB/s , access-time < 19ms.

Of course you have to patch the BIOS, because there is no appropriate entry
for this drive (1024cyl, 10 head, 17 sec) and user-type is not supported.

Scott,
this hardware modification sounds interesting, I'm going to overlook and try
it with my 12MHz-boosted BB.

Ciao, Klaus

>>Internet: Kelson@ais.org
>
>  --Scotty
>--
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
>Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
>		         PHONE - yes.
>"Have you hugged your hog today?"
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Klaus Burkert        email: burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de
Brandweg 11          voice: +49-851/83993
D-W-8390 Passau   /  Federal Republic of Germany

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (06/05/91)

In article <97XCJ-=@irie.ais.org> kelson@ais.org (David Lewis) writes:

>     A friend of mine has an Amiga 2000, with a 105 meg quantum hd, and
>a 286 bridgeboard.  He has a 45 meg pc file that he created with makeab
>and his access time once inside the pc is pathetically dog slow.  Has
>anyone else had this problem? or any solutions to this problem?  any
>help at all would be greatly appreciated.
>--

Well don't expect it to fly along like it does on the Amiga side but if he
has enough memory, tell him to try addbuffers <hard drive's name w/pc file> 400
or something like that.  It does help a bit...

--
 guy@nsco.network.com                                     //
 Guy Dandrea                                          \\ //

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (06/06/91)

>the hardware change for the A2286 is as follows:
>
>1) lift pin 6 of U72 out of the socket.
>2) attach one end of a wire to the pin, and the other end of the wire
>   to J17A pin 30.
>
>** NOTE THAT THE ABOVE CHANGE VOIDS YOUR BRIDGEBOARD'S WARRANTY. **
>** NEITHER MYSELF NOR COMMODORE CAN ASSUME LIABILITY IF YOU DAMAGE **
>** THE BRIDGEBOARD OR THE AMIGA **

Is there a similar fix for the 2088?

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (06/06/91)

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:
>there are two things to do.  one is a hardware change which will void
>the bridgeboard's warranty and give up to 4 times more fake pc partition
>performance.

Is there a similar hack for the XT bridgeboard?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/07/91)

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) writes:

>there are two things to do.  one is a hardware change which will void
>the bridgeboard's warranty and give up to 4 times more fake pc partition

Just curious, what does this hardware modification do???

-Beej
--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu