[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] MAC System 7.0

hjalmar@cbmswe.UUCP (Peter Hjalmarsson) (05/25/91)

In article <17202@chopin.udel.edu> don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>     What everyone seems to be overlooking in this discussion is that the
>system 7.0 license agreement specifically forbids running it on an
>emulator!  It will be _illegal_ for emulator-makers to promote products as
>7.0 compatible, and it will be illegal to run it even if they are.
>This will likely cause problems for not just ReadySoft and the makers of the
>ST-based Mac emulators, but also for Nutek with its Mac ROM clones...

I dont know about the US, but in Sweden the only license agreement is the
stupid "dont-break-the-seal-unless-you-want-us-to-control-your-complete-
destiny-in-the-future" kind, which is completely useless here. So, unless
Apple changes anything I will be able to _buy_ sys7 from my Apple dealer and
use it, legally, on my A-max.

Just to give you some insight from other markets than the US.

Peter Hjalmarsson, Amiga Support, Commdore Sweden
...uunet!cbmvax!cbmehq!cbmswe!hjalmar
[speaking for myself and not for my company]

xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (05/27/91)

   Has anyone bothered to check to see whether or not MAC System 7.0 works
on any of the MAC emulators for the Atari ST?  If 7.0 works on the ST
emulators but not on A-Max, then it means that the incompatibilities
between 7.0 and A-Max are due mainly to quirks with A-Max, and would thus
be easy to correct.  If, however, 7.0 also does not work on the MAC
emulators for the ST, then Apple must have implemented some code to
specifically detect whether or not it is running on a genuine MAC.  If
this latter is the case, then the code could be so tightly woven into
7.0 that getting 7.0 to work on anything other than a genuine MAC could
be difficult.

   It would be nice if someone who has access to an ST with a MAC
emulator could overcome their misgivings about the machine long enough to
check to see whether or not 7.0 runs on it.  The results could yield
some light into the question of how easy it will be to get 7.0 running
on the Amiga under A-Max.

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
 \       Who wants to Blow Up the Moon                   /

don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (05/27/91)

--
  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D

cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) (05/28/91)

In article <17202@chopin.udel.edu> don@chopin.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

>     What everyone seems to be overlooking in this discussion is that the
>system 7.0 license agreement specifically forbids running it on an
>emulator!  It will be _illegal_ for emulator-makers to promote products as
>7.0 compatible, and it will be illegal to run it even if they are.
>This will likely cause problems for not just ReadySoft and the makers of the
>ST-based Mac emulators, but also for Nutek with its Mac ROM clones...

While that may be true, Apple will be hard pressed to make that part of their
license agreement hold up in court.  It's the same thing as if Sony came out
with a license agreement for the music on their new CD's that said, these
CD's can only be played on a Sony CD player.  The courts are NOT going to go
for that!  Atari tried somethin like that back in the late 70's with their
2600 game player, they tried to say that THEY were the only ones that could
make software to run on THEIR game machine, so they sued Activision....they
lost!

Tim

--
  Internet:   Cython@irie.ais.org
  Compuserve: 76217,1372

heavy@zip.eecs.umich.edu (Richard Scott Hall) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.074112.13293@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@isuvax.iastate.edu writes:

>   It would be nice if someone who has access to an ST with a MAC
>emulator could overcome their misgivings about the machine long enough to
>check to see whether or not 7.0 runs on it.  The results could yield
>some light into the question of how easy it will be to get 7.0 running
>on the Amiga under A-Max.

Why do you assume an ST user has misgivings about their machine?

>  -------------------------------------------------------------
> / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
>/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
>\  ISU : The Home of the Goon                             /
>  -------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't own a Mac emulator...

Richard Hall
University of Michigan
--

Standard disclaimer:  I am not me, I am who you think you are...
                      so don't blame me.

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (05/28/91)

In article <#6PCXP#@irie.ais.org> cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) writes:
>While that may be true, Apple will be hard pressed to make that part of their
>license agreement hold up in court.  It's the same thing as if Sony came out
>with a license agreement for the music on their new CD's that said, these

>CD's can only be played on a Sony CD player.  The courts are NOT going to go
	Not quite. In this case it is an OPERATING SYSTEM which they
COMPLETELY OWN, and have EVERY right to restrict, that is in question. They
most certainly COULD restrict it from being used in "emulators" successfully,
since there is no "legal" way for people to buy it WITHOUT agreeing to
the liscensing restrictions. As it is, I don't really see how AMax or any
other Mac emulator is legal. Even if you have the ROMs (which is only part
of the system, much like KickStart on the Amiga), there is MUCH other
software required to use the system that is NOT on the ROMs (the system file,
finder, icons, etc.) that is needed to run Mac software. I seriously doubt that
people using AMax (even WITH the ROMs) actually PAID to buy the Mac OS.
This is exactly the same situation as someone who is using an IBM emulator
or clone (which has to have some kind of ROM BIOS) using a pirated copy of
MS-DOS. Even if Apple is too late to restrict the ROMs (there may be so many
out there, and of course there will always be a grey market), they can
certainly impose restrictions on the OS itself.
>for that!  Atari tried somethin like that back in the late 70's with their
>2600 game player, they tried to say that THEY were the only ones that could
>make software to run on THEIR game machine, so they sued Activision....they
>lost!
	If you keep up with current events you would know that you CAN get away
with this. Look at the Nintendo world. EVERY cartridge out there is directly
liscensed from Ninetendo itself. In fact, the NES actually contains a system
that REQUIRES that cartridges contain a certain chip, which can only be
obtained from Nintendo. You can't just whip up an EPROM like you could for
the 2600. Now, they have been taken to court over this, but as far as I
know, no verdict has been reached. So would YOU stake your companies
future on producing something that may or may not be ruled illagal, when the
outcome is unknown, and the penalties severe if you lose?

				Dave

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.220109.1165@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>... I seriously doubt that
>people using AMax (even WITH the ROMs) actually PAID to buy the Mac OS.

The MAC OS is available for downloading on Compuserve.  No special requirements
to get except a lot of download patience.  I've never had a problem simply
walking into an Apple dealer and just making a copy of the system disks.  I've
even offered to pay, but no one wants my money...

-scott

uunix@triton.unm.edu (05/28/91)

In article <1991May27.220109.1165@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>	If you keep up with current events you would know that you CAN get away
>with this. Look at the Nintendo world. EVERY cartridge out there is directly
>liscensed from Ninetendo itself. In fact, the NES actually contains a system
>that REQUIRES that cartridges contain a certain chip, which can only be
>obtained from Nintendo. You can't just whip up an EPROM like you could for
>the 2600. Now, they have been taken to court over this, but as far as I
>know, no verdict has been reached. So would YOU stake your companies
>future on producing something that may or may not be ruled illagal, when the
>outcome is unknown, and the penalties severe if you lose?
>

>				Dave

I am not sure if it was this very case, but I saw in the news this weekend
that Atari won a case with Nintendo concerining emulation.  It was TV news
and no details were given.  But it said something about being able to play
Nintendo games on an Atari.  I am sure of that.

                                   NCW

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (05/29/91)

In article <1203@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

>The MAC OS is available for downloading on Compuserve.  No special requirements
>to get except a lot of download patience.  I've never had a problem simply
>walking into an Apple dealer and just making a copy of the system disks.  I've
>even offered to pay, but no one wants my money...

There are appropriate directions to read the licensing agreement included in
every system I know that is liscensed to distribute the software.  While your
dealers may not want to charge you for copying the disks, they will, I'm sure,
accept your order for the OS with docs.

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (05/29/91)

In article <49577@ut-emx.uucp> awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels)
writes:
> >The MAC OS is available for downloading on Compuserve.  No special
requirements

       System 7.0 is available by anounymous FTP at ftp.apple.com, as
simple as that ! (-:.

       If 7.0 has some sort of test to know if it's running on an
emulator, the next version of these emulators will do something so the
test is bypassed. Even if they won't be able to advertise it, they _will_
make the emulators run with sys 7.0 ! And you can be sure that there will
be people running 7.0 on emulators, there's no way Apple can do anything
about that. It will be 'illegal', but most of the people won't even know
they're breaking the law (who ever reads all these boring and depressing
texts in small prints before trying this brand new and exiting  piece of
software you've been waiting for ?).

       JNM

---
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

JNM: jnmoyne@lbl.gov           - The postmaster allways pings twice (soon
in your mailbox!)

zuckerma@aludra.usc.edu (David Zuckerman) (05/30/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.emulations
Subject: Re: MAC System 7.0
In article <1991May28.065027.24134@ariel.unm.edu> uunix@triton.unm.edu writes:
>In article <1991May27.220109.1165@NCoast.ORG> davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) writes:
>>	If you keep up with current events you would know that you CAN get away
>>with this. Look at the Nintendo world. EVERY cartridge out there is directly
>>liscensed from Ninetendo itself. In fact, the NES actually contains a system
>>that REQUIRES that cartridges contain a certain chip, which can only be
>>obtained from Nintendo. You can't just whip up an EPROM like you could for
>>the 2600. Now, they have been taken to court over this, but as far as I
>>know, no verdict has been reached. So would YOU stake your companies
>>future on producing something that may or may not be ruled illagal, when the
>>outcome is unknown, and the penalties severe if you lose?
>>

>>				Dave
>
>I am not sure if it was this very case, but I saw in the news this weekend
>that Atari won a case with Nintendo concerining emulation.  It was TV news
>and no details were given.  But it said something about being able to play
>Nintendo games on an Atari.  I am sure of that.
>

>                                   NCW

Yes, Atari did win a suit against Nintendo over Nintendo's "monopoly" of
licensing on the NES.  Atari's video-cartridge division, Tengen, was
producing cartridges for the NES that were not officially sanctioned
(i.e. they didn't have that "seal of approval" on other cartridges).
Nintendo got upset, and the lawsuit resulted.  I have a feeling this won't
be the last word on the subject, but as of now, Atari/Tengen can produce
cartridges without Nintendo's blessing.

-Dave

--
David Zuckerman          | "There's nothing wrong with my sense | Exercise   //
zuckerma@aludra.usc.edu  |  of reality.  I have it thoroughly   | good   \\ //

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/04/91)

writes:

|>     What everyone seems to be overlooking in this discussion is that the
|>system 7.0 license agreement specifically forbids running it on an
|>emulator!  It will be _illegal_ for emulator-makers to promote products as
|>7.0 compatible, and it will be illegal to run it even if they are.
|>This will likely cause problems for not just ReadySoft and the makers of the
|>ST-based Mac emulators, but also for Nutek with its Mac ROM clones...

Where do they see the legality in there?  There is no reason why this
would be the case.  Nothing is being copied illegally.  Look at IBM
clones, for instance.  Apple always has a legal thing (sort of like
being the little kid who likes to beat up bigger ones) against its
competitors, simply because they are insecure about their inferior products.

I don't see anything illegal about running 7.0 on an emulator, as long
as you bought the chips and secured a legal copy of the 7.0 upgrade.
Apple seems to be stretching its licensing power a bit too far on this one.

|>--
|>  Gibberish   May the        Publications Editor, AmigaNetwork
|>  is spoken   fork() be      Amiga Student On-Campus Consultant, U of D
|>    here.     with you.      DISCLAIMER:  It's all YOUR fault.

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
|CONSP03@BINGVMB.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU                |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

Wright) writes:
|>In article <#6PCXP#@irie.ais.org> cython@ais.org (Tim Devlin) writes:
|>[...] I seriously doubt that
|>people using AMax (even WITH the ROMs) actually PAID to buy the Mac OS.
|>This is exactly the same situation as someone who is using an IBM emulator
|>or clone (which has to have some kind of ROM BIOS) using a pirated copy of
|>MS-DOS. Even if Apple is too late to restrict the ROMs (there may be so many
|>out there, and of course there will always be a grey market), they can
|>certainly impose restrictions on the OS itself.

You're extrapolating too much.  You have no knowledge that all, or even
most, AMAX users pirate the system.  In the best-case scenario (which
all computer makers develop for) in which people get everything through
the legal channels, the emulator is LEGAL.

By your logic I can say that a Macintosh user who bought a used Mac with
no hard disk copies a system folder from a friend, or we can look at the
regular Mac user who illegal updates his system and finder versions from
friends or even the computer center at school.

Also, you are saying (in non-computer terms) that SONY tape players
should only be allowed to play SONY brand tapes, which is ludicrous.
You can also see this happening with the Nintendo licensing program,
where you cannot produce a Nintendo cartridge without securing a license
from Nintendo (of course, Nintendo recently lifted this restriction).

|>				Dave

Best,

Kris

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.183732.3135@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

|> I don't see anything illegal about running 7.0 on an emulator, as long
|> as you bought the chips and secured a legal copy of the 7.0 upgrade.

	The liscence for System 7.0 FORBADES use on a non-Apple
product, so, you cannot legally run it on any machine except an Apple.
This is a cheap shot, and probably won't be enforced, but use of System
7.0 on an emulator would be illegal.

Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)  | This post does not reflect the intent
Distributed High Performance Computing | or actions of my employer, and their
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | actions don't reflect mine either.:)
"And there's no more toliet paper - It's gone just like the trees.
 Do you like the taste of honey - Isn't it best without the bees?
 Be careful what you're doing - you're messing up my life,
 And if the world's a cake - then you cut too big a slice!" -P.I.L.

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.064325.11852@watson.ibm.com>, sck@watson.ibm.com
(Scott C. Kennedy) writes:

|>	The liscence for System 7.0 FORBADES use on a non-Apple
|>product, so, you cannot legally run it on any machine except an Apple.
|>This is a cheap shot, and probably won't be enforced, but use of System
|>7.0 on an emulator would be illegal.

I must say that the money you pay for the emulator should be permission
enough to use the system software.  Apple won't get anywhere with this.
They're paranoid and sound like they are ashamed of their own products.
Remember, they can't emulate the Amiga or ST, and do a bullish job of
emulating the PC.

sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.205151.1058@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

|> I must say that the money you pay for the emulator should be permission
|> enough to use the system software.  Apple won't get anywhere with this.
|> They're paranoid and sound like they are ashamed of their own products.
|> Remember, they can't emulate the Amiga or ST, and do a bullish job of
|> emulating the PC.

Kris,
   Buying an emulator of a product does not give your any rights to the original
product. If you own a clone of Lotus 1-2-3, then you should have permission
to use Lotus. (I don't think so.) And yes, Apple is paranoid about their products.
That is one of the reason we don't  see Macintosh clones. When Nutek releases
their ROMs for the Macintosh, we should have a fun price-war for Macintoshes.
And we can watch Apple's profit share plummet .

dingebre@imp.sim.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.154510.19316@watson.ibm.com>, sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) writes:
> In article <1991Jun4.205151.1058@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:

> |> I must say that the money you pay for the emulator should be permission
> |> enough to use the system software.  Apple won't get anywhere with this.
> |> They're paranoid and sound like they are ashamed of their own products.
> |> Remember, they can't emulate the Amiga or ST, and do a bullish job of
> |> emulating the PC.
> |>

> Kris,
>    Buying an emulator of a product does not give your any rights to the original
> product. If you own a clone of Lotus 1-2-3, then you should have permission
> to use Lotus. (I don't think so.) And yes, Apple is paranoid about their products.
> That is one of the reason we don't  see Macintosh clones. When Nutek releases
> their ROMs for the Macintosh, we should have a fun price-war for Macintoshes.
> And we can watch Apple's profit share plummet .
> --
> Scott C. Kennedy (sck@watson.ibm.com)  | This post does not reflect the intent
> Distributed High Performance Computing | or actions of my employer, and their
> IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Facility | actions don't reflect mine either.:)
> "And there's no more toliet paper - It's gone just like the trees.
>  Do you like the taste of honey - Isn't it best without the bees?
>  Be careful what you're doing - you're messing up my life,
>  And if the world's a cake - then you cut too big a slice!" -P.I.L.

It's more like if I have a clone of Lotus 1-2-3, then I should be able to buy
and use Lotus macro packages and transfer data files.

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/06/91)

(Scott C. Kennedy) writes:
|>In article <1991Jun4.205151.1058@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>,
consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
|>   Buying an emulator of a product does not give your any rights to
the original

I am talking about buying the official Apple system software.  Read my
message carefully.  I said that when you buy the original system
software from Apple, THEN you have full rights to use that system
software as you wish.  Note that the emulated product is mostly original
code that you buy, legally, yourself.  Re-read my message.

|>product. If you own a clone of Lotus 1-2-3, then you should have permission
|>to use Lotus. (I don't think so.) And yes, Apple is paranoid about
their products.

I didn't say a 'clone of the system software', I said buying the REAL
system software and REAL ROMS from Apple.  In that way, everything is
legal.  Re-read my message.  In this way you secure the rights to use
the software privately in any way you choose.  You can even reverse
engineer the product for your own uses.  Note the word 'privately'.  If
you give it out, you are in violation of the contract.

|>That is one of the reason we don't  see Macintosh clones. When Nutek releases
|>their ROMs for the Macintosh, we should have a fun price-war for Macintoshes.
|>And we can watch Apple's profit share plummet .

Of course.  But I know good hardware when I see it - and that's why I
have an Amiga and emulating a Mac.

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun4.064325.11852@watson.ibm.com> sck@watson.ibm.com (Scott C. Kennedy) writes:
|In article <1991Jun3.183732.3135@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
||>
||> I don't see anything illegal about running 7.0 on an emulator, as long
||> as you bought the chips and secured a legal copy of the 7.0 upgrade.
||>

|	The liscence for System 7.0 FORBADES use on a non-Apple
|product, so, you cannot legally run it on any machine except an Apple.
|This is a cheap shot, and probably won't be enforced, but use of System
|7.0 on an emulator would be illegal.

	Just because a licence asserts some use
	restriction does not in and of itself
	constitute illegality. It serves mostly
	as a warning that the legal staff of the
	licensor may attempt to harrass those
	who do not agree. This may in some cases
	lead to a court action in which legality
	may be determined.

	Note that the licensor doesn't always win:
	"shrink-wrap" clauses have been adjudged to
	be without force in several jurisdictions,
	for example...

--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/09/91)

In article <107298@becker.UUCP> bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) writes:
>[...]
>	Just because a licence asserts some use
>	restriction does not in and of itself
>	constitute illegality. It serves mostly
>[...]

Precisely.

For example, I used my (developer) CD-ROM copy of MacOS 7.0 as a hub-shim on my
neighbor's son's tricycle, and he's now the Pride And Joy of the neighborhood
with his trike rainbow-glistening in the sun!  Who said CD-ROMs were good
"only" for music and/or computer data?  :-)

That copy was MINE to use how-so-ever I saw fit, and that tricycle was most
definitely not made by "Apple".  BTW, can that Cupertino company still use the
name "Apple" and/or did they buy-out The Beatles?  Not much word about the
lawsuit recently in the press.