[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Bridgeboard and the Parallel Port

cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (06/08/91)

	Question:  Is it possible to allow the Bridgboards to use the Amiga
parallel port as a COM port instead of having to buy a card with parallel
ports?  If so, how?
	Thanx in advance!
----
Cesi DiBenedetto
ai622@cleveland.freenet.edu

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/09/91)

In article <5384.285035a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>,
cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

|>	Question:  Is it possible to allow the Bridgboards to use the Amiga
|>parallel port as a COM port instead of having to buy a card with parallel
|>ports?  If so, how?
|>	Thanx in advance!

Yup.  You run the program called "lpt1" which comes on the original
release disks for the bridgeboards.  You just click on the icon and a
window opens up telling you that the bridgeboard now owns the parallel
port.  When you're done, you just close the window and the parallel port
is returned to the Amiga.

|>Cesi DiBenedetto
|>ai622@cleveland.freenet.edu

Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
|consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
|                                                 |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

In article <5384.285035a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

>	Question:  Is it possible to allow the Bridgboards to use the Amiga
>parallel port as a COM port instead of having to buy a card with parallel
>ports?  If so, how?

Sorry, can't imagine such a thing, at least not in a compatible way
with existing software that accesses a serial port.

In article <1323@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:
>In article <5384.285035a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu> cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:
>>
>>	Question:  Is it possible to allow the Bridgboards to use the Amiga
>>parallel port as a COM port instead of having to buy a card with parallel
>>ports?  If so, how?
>
>Sorry, can't imagine such a thing, at least not in a compatible way
>with existing software that accesses a serial port.

Sorry again. I fear I misunderstood you on first attempt. I thought
you were asking about a SERIAL port handled via the parallel port
of the Amiga side. If you just meant the parallel port, then yes,
this is possible as already another poster mentioned. But be aware,
this works only for well-behaved programs that use the official DOS
interrupt to access the port. If they bang directly on the hardware,
they may fail. So, if you want to stay on the safe side, you perhaps
better purchase such an interface card, it's only a few cents these
days.

dingebre@imp.es.com (David Ingebretsen) (06/11/91)

In article <5384.285035a6@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu>, cdibenedetto@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu writes:

> 	Question:  Is it possible to allow the Bridgboards to use the Amiga
> parallel port as a COM port instead of having to buy a card with parallel
> ports?  If so, how?
> 	Thanx in advance!
> ----
> Cesi DiBenedetto
> ai622@cleveland.freenet.edu

In the PC drawer there is a utility called LPT1. Double click on it and
you are set. When you are done, double click on it again and the Amiga
side owns it again.

David

David Ingebretsen
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corporation
600 Komas Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
(801) 582-5847 x3758

dingebre@es.com