[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Help! MSDOS 5.0

ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) (06/12/91)

Hello Everyone:

      Help! I have another problem with MSDOS product. I heard that
Microsoft sales release new version of MSDOS 5.0. Someone told me that
it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.

      I have ATonce emulator for my Amiga from Vortex gmH in Germany.
Its package do not come with MSDOS package and tell me to find *FULL*
version of MSDOS package in order to work with ATonce hardware.

      Microsoft Sales told me that Vortex must have responsible for that.
Its policy require Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce package.
But I *DON'T* like Microsoft policy for MSDOS pakages. Do not purchase
ATonce package unless Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce hardware.
So I complain seriously aganist its policy.

      Where can I find full version of MSDOS 5.0? No upgrade products,
please!

-- Tim Stark

--
Timothy Stark              Internet: ak698@cleveland.freenet.edu
5 West Glebe Rd, Apt B8    Work: (202) 377-9606 TDD/TTY only Prodigy: XRFR50A

coxc0032@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/13/91)

ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) writes:
>Hello Everyone:
>      Help! I have another problem with MSDOS product. I heard that
>Microsoft sales release new version of MSDOS 5.0. Someone told me that
>it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
>retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
>I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.

I don't know your definition of full version, but I read the 5.0 box,
saying you need 2.11 or later installed, so may be it's not a full version.

>      I have ATonce emulator for my Amiga from Vortex gmH in Germany.
>Its package do not come with MSDOS package and tell me to find *FULL*
>version of MSDOS package in order to work with ATonce hardware.

You can always buy any versions you want, currently avail. in store should
be 3.3 and 4.01 , just go check out clone dealers, or buy a used version.

>      Microsoft Sales told me that Vortex must have responsible for that.
>Its policy require Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce package.

If according to grammar rules, you mean 'Its' = 'Vortex'. Whose policy do
you mean actually? I'm confused. I mean, who requires Vortex to include
MS-DOS? Vortex themselves? Microsoft? Neither makes sense anyway.

>But I *DON'T* like Microsoft policy for MSDOS pakages. Do not purchase
>ATonce package unless Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce hardware.
>So I complain seriously aganist its policy.

So I think you actually mean Microsoft's policy here, but do you mean
the same 'policy' as above, or this is a seperate issue? If you insist
on having the package come with MS-DOS, you can buy the PC Powerboard,
which is only 8088, but comes with MS-DOS, memory, etc. I just don't
see why you suggest not buying it just because it doesn't come with
MS-DOS. I don't think it's so hard to find, or expensive to buy, to
make it a important criteria.

Just hypothetical, if MS-DOS 3.3 costs $50 in the street, and ATonce changes
their policy, and now comes with MS-DOS 3.3, but also increases the price
up $75, which choice you still prefer? I'm trying to say that is, the company
which makes ATonce tries to sell it at lower cost, thus not including MS-DOS,
because some people might already own it. They just think you can always buy
one if you want, and it's so widely available. Do you know that a lot of
clone dealers don't even provide MS-DOS with a clone? and that's extra?

***Flame on: I'll be equally surprise if my friend complains about some
cereal box not coming with a plastic spoon.  Flame off***

>      Where can I find full version of MSDOS 5.0? No upgrade products,
>please!

Just get any MS-DOS from 2.11, and also 5.0  . The thing is 3.3 and 4.01
are not obsolete to the point that you can't even find it.

>-- Tim Stark

>--
>Timothy Stark              Internet: ak698@cleveland.freenet.edu
>5 West Glebe Rd, Apt B8    Work: (202) 377-9606 TDD/TTY only Prodigy: XRFR50A
>Alexandria, Va. 22305      Home: (703) 684-6031 TDD/TTY only BIX:     tstark
>"Gallaudet University is the world's only university for the deaf."

I'm sorry if I'm hard on you, but I think the Microsoft salesman poisoned
you. You should question them why you need 2.11? may be there is a reason.

David

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.000444.18189@ucselx.sdsu.edu> coxc0032@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:
>ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) writes:

>>it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
>>retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
>>I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.
>
>I don't know your definition of full version, but I read the 5.0 box,
>saying you need 2.11 or later installed, so may be it's not a full version.

The Upgrade version of DOS5.0 can be had for cheaper than the Full
version.  The Upgrade version has no boot disk, which means that you
have to have some older version of DOS in order to install it.  At
least, this is how I understand it.

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/13/91)

|>The Upgrade version of DOS5.0 can be had for cheaper than the Full
|>version.  The Upgrade version has no boot disk, which means that you
|>have to have some older version of DOS in order to install it.  At
|>least, this is how I understand it.

The full version of MSDOS5.0 is available for $99.95.  It is complete,
and has an install program.  Found an ad in the Tuesday NY Times, along
with a review of the product.  MSDOS is still klunky but at least it
works with expansion memory to give us more workspace.

-Kris

| Kriston J. Rehberg,  Consultant,  SUNY-Binghamton Computer Services |
| <consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>  or  <consp03@BINGVAXA.BITnet> |
| #include <stddiscl.h>        "Hackito ergo sum" - old Latin proverb |