[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] A2286 BridgeBoard woes..

jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) (06/13/91)

    Well, let's get right to it shall we.. I've got an Amiga 2500 about a
year old with a 286 bridgeboard installed which I don't use all that often
and lately I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't even boot on startup
(At the binddrivers command.. nice little Janus setup failure window, etc..)

    Anyway, I paid it no mind since I don't use it every day.  But now
(of course) that I want to use it, it won't boot at all..  Or if it does
boot, it only lasts for about 5 minutes.. that is, I am happily typing away
or running some program then everything just freezes.  No more keyboard
input accepted, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, even PCHard has no effect or it
just goes through the same stuff as when I cold booted.  Also, I notice that
occasionally when I'm not even thinking about the bridgeboard, it reboots
(or maybe boots for the first time) while I'm doing something on the Amiga
side..  Pretty bizarre??  That's what I say..

    So what do I want??  That's a good question.  Since it works occasionally
I can't assume that it's completely broken.  And it's only recently that it
has been acting like this.  Could it be the hot weather??  Maybe the recent
moving of my computer (though I just today opened it up and reseated the
board with no apparent effect)??  I'm perplexed..  Is it something I added
in my startup sequence?? If so, would it have to be something before the
binddrivers command??  Is it just time to get rid of it once and for all??
I ask and plead for some suggestions or solutions..  If none come then
does anyone have a use for some slightly used silicon??  Be Seeing You..

--
      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil
      Seeking the truth about lemon curry.          We Are Of The Sun

In article <1991Jun12.222114.9813@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) writes:

>    Well, let's get right to it shall we.. I've got an Amiga 2500 about a
>year old with a 286 bridgeboard installed which I don't use all that often
>
>    Anyway, I paid it no mind since I don't use it every day.  But now
>(of course) that I want to use it, it won't boot at all..  Or if it does
>boot, it only lasts for about 5 minutes.. that is, I am happily typing away
>or running some program then everything just freezes.  No more keyboard
>input accepted, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, even PCHard has no effect or it
>just goes through the same stuff as when I cold booted.  Also, I notice that
>occasionally when I'm not even thinking about the bridgeboard, it reboots
>(or maybe boots for the first time) while I'm doing something on the Amiga
>side..  Pretty bizarre??  That's what I say..

If a bridgeboard acts bizarre like this, you most certainly ran into
contact problems. Take the BB out, push every IC firmly back into its
socket (if one sits uncomfortably, take it out and insert it properly),
then push the whole board properly back into the A2000. Works wonders
sometimes.

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.222114.9813@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> jsibley@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James Sibley) writes:

>    Well, let's get right to it shall we.. I've got an Amiga 2500 about a
>year old with a 286 bridgeboard installed which I don't use all that often
>and lately I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't even boot on startup
>(At the binddrivers command.. nice little Janus setup failure window, etc..)

[tales of random behavior deleted]

it sounds like it needs its chips reseated.  take it out, and push firmly
on all the socketed parts.  the 2286 is notorious for chips walking out of
the sockets (even if the machine is kept on all the time).

>      James Sibley                                Nous Sommes Du Soleil

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (06/15/91)

What works for me is to power down the amiga, open the box, pull the
bridgeboard out of the backplane, and push it back in.  Some connection
is flaky.

		Craig