[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Apple II emulation?

murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (06/14/91)

Does anyone know whether the Amiga will emulate Apple IIs?
I don't want to, but I have an associate that would find it quite
useful.  On a related not, do the Bridgeboard and AMAX fit into an
A3000?  This associate is doing work with MAC, IBM, and Apple II for
the purposes of running educational software.  I know that Amiga has
a pretty good selection of Educational software, I am just wondering
if it can run everyone elses software as well.
Thanks,
Bill Murphy
murphy@physics.purdue.edu

West Lafayette, IN:  Where progress takes a back seat to tradition.

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (06/14/91)

In article <5265@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
>Does anyone know whether the Amiga will emulate Apple IIs?
>I don't want to, but I have an associate that would find it quite
>useful.  On a related not, do the Bridgeboard and AMAX fit into an
>A3000?  This associate is doing work with MAC, IBM, and Apple II for
>the purposes of running educational software.  I know that Amiga has
>a pretty good selection of Educational software, I am just wondering
>if it can run everyone elses software as well.

There are one or two public-domain/distributable software Apple II emulators
for the Amiga.  Try look in the anonymous FTP site ab20.larc.nasa.gov.
They all require that you own an Apple II and download the ROM.

AMAX runs fine on the A3000 (I run AMAXII on my A3000-25.) Bridgeboards
also run fine on the A3000 if you do a small trick to prevent caching the
Bridgeboard's shared memory.  In your Startup-Sequence can either:
	1)  Disable all caching permanently before running binddrivers, or
	2)  Use a late-model version of the developer's utility Enforcer to
	    disable caching only on the Bridgeboard's shared memory.

With that small fix, you can run Apple II, Macintosh, and IBM software (and
more) on an A3000.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions are those of the user, and not of this machine.

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (06/15/91)

In article <5265@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:

>Does anyone know whether the Amiga will emulate Apple IIs?

   Check out ab20.larc.nasa.gov. The source code for an Apple II emulator is
there. I have not tried it so I don't know how good it is. I believe it was
the author's first pass at the emulation.

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|