[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program to work?

jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) (05/31/91)

Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program posted eariler to work?
I have a 2000HD with 2 internal drives and 3 Meg 'o Mem.
AMAX1 and 2.0 upgrade and 128K ROMS.

The steps I've tried:
   1) run macrom2 -s hddev:filename
      result: "...Save module installed..." etc.
   2) run A-MAXStartup
   3) click on GO AMAX

   4) After roms are loaded message - press return or escape (tried both)
      result: Looked for rom file (filename) on device (hddev) and
              couldn't find a new file ANYWHERE....

I can't seem to get Macrom2 to read/save the ROMS.  I ran SnoopDos
before I start Macrom -s hddev:filename and SnoopDos doesn't "see"
any files accessed at any point in the 4 steps I've listed...

(NOTE: SnoopDos is a program that watches calls to open files, etc
       to help you debug configuration problems. Great Program!)

I have also gone ahead, in complete desperation, and tried to load the
none existant rom file just to see what happens.

   1) run macrom -l hddev:filename
      result: "...Load Module installed..."
   2) run A-MAXStartup
   3) click on GO AMAX
   4) Message about *attempt* to load ROMS.
      Result:  Cart. not found error - reboot and try again message.

If anybody has any help I'd appreciate it.  Even posting Macrom1 might
help... (I have both Amax 1 and 2).

Might the problem be that the Macrom2 program "expects" the ROM cart.
at a certain device number.  Like in the df1: position (since I have 2
internal drives it would be like df3:) Just a guess?

Many thanks for any help you can provide.  You can email me if you like.
Thanks Again,

Jeff

--
Its not important whether you win or lose, its only important that *I* win ...

Jeff Mosher                  UUCP:     uunet!sparky!jeff
Sterling Software IMD        INTERNET: jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM

scotte@applix.com (Scott Evernden) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.155009.8549@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:

>Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program posted eariler to work?
>The steps I've tried:

Give up.  It's a cruel joke, and doesn't work.  I'm certain whoever
released that thing never really actually tried to use it.

There's some other thing call Fastmax2 or such, but I haven't come
across it yet...

-scott

leekil@athena.mit.edu (Lee 'S' Kilpatrick) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.155009.8549@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:

>Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program posted eariler to work?
>I have a 2000HD with 2 internal drives and 3 Meg 'o Mem.
>AMAX1 and 2.0 upgrade and 128K ROMS.

The MacRom program that was posted was NOT MacRom 2, it was Macrom 1.1.  When
you just type "MacRom" with no arguments it gives you the instructions for
use, and says "MacRom 1.1".  Perhaps this is the reason it does not work as
it is supposed to with Amax II.

Does anybody have MacRom 2 that they can post?

	Lee

mueller@pooh.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (06/02/91)

In article <1207@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <1991May31.155009.8549@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>
>   jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:
>>Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program posted eariler to work?
>Give up.  It's a cruel joke, and doesn't work.  I'm certain whoever
>released that thing never really actually tried to use it.
>There's some other thing call Fastmax2 or such, but I haven't come
>across it yet...

I've downloaded and used FastMax3.  It seems to work fine.  One
slight problem I had required me to change my goamax script to
cd to the amax directory (where the ROM file is) before running
A-MaxStartup.

Another possible problem may have happened when I clicked on the
close box after the ROMs were loaded; the machine locked up.
Pressing ESC instead seemed to work fine.

If you have Amax, I highly recommend this program.  It makes the
ROMs load in two seconds (or so, depending on your hard drive)
instead of 30 seconds through the floppy port.

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (06/04/91)

In article <1207@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

>Give up.  It's a cruel joke, and doesn't work.  I'm certain whoever
>released that thing (referring to MacRom 2) never really actually tried
>to use it.

>There's some other thing call Fastmax2 or such, but I haven't come
>across it yet...

   FastMax2 has been on ab20 for several weeks, and has been making the rounds
of the BBS's as well. It works fine unless you have Amax II version 2.06. The
author just last week released FasMax3 which does handle version 2.06. It is
on ab20, Plink, (and probably a number of BBS's by this time). Forget MacRom.
Use FastMax. It does the job and does it very well. More congrats to the
author are in order here. He has done a great service for the Amiga
community!
						Terry

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/04/91)

mueller@pooh.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>In article <1207@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

>I've downloaded and used FastMax3.  It seems to work fine.  One
[...deleted...]
>-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

From where???

-Beej
--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/05/91)

I finally got MacROM 1.1 and also FastMax3 to work on my A-MaxII 2.06.
It is working under 2.0 on my A3000.
MacROM 1.1 only loads if you have the ROM file, but not saves.
FastMax3 still doesn't get the script right on the IconX, and also he
put Xicon on the tools. But it works under CLI. But Mymenu doesn't load
the ROM if I tried to launch it with Mymenu. I think I need to cd to the
right directory.

Again, FastMax3 works. and MacROM works halfway, and also creates a window
that cannot be cancelled (if you cancel AMax after you launch it).

BTW, both won't work without the A-Max cartridge (I think the ROM is also
needed), so it is protected in some way.

David

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) (06/05/91)

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) writes:

>I finally got MacROM 1.1 and also FastMax3 to work on my A-MaxII 2.06.
> It is working under 2.0 on my 3000.

This can't be.  I know for a fact that MacROM 1.1 does NOT work with
2.0 and AMax 2.06.  MacROM 2.0 might, but only with a hacked version of
Amax-Startup.

>MacROM 1.1 only loads if you have the ROM file, but not saves.

MacROM 1.1 saves and loads, MacROM 2.0 only loads.

>FastMax3 still doesn't get the script right on the IconX, and also he
>put Xicon on the tools. But it works under CLI. But Mymenu doesn't load
>the ROM if I tried to launch it with Mymenu. I think I need to cd to the
>right directory.

I think you're right here.  However, I have no ftp access so I've been
unable to get FastMax3.  Could someone send me a copy?

>BTW, both won't work without the A-Max cartridge (I think the ROM is also
>needed), so it is protected in some way.

MacROM 1.1 didn't require the cartridge, although 2.0 may.  However, there
is a pirate pre-built FastROM2 executable available (192K) that
  1. has the ROMs imbedded in it
  2. doesn't require the cartridge
  3. doesn't support printer output or a "real" mac drive on a 3000

>David

-----------------
Ben, radical ecologist, computer scientist, loony at large.

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/07/91)

rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>This can't be.  I know for a fact that MacROM 1.1 does NOT work with
>2.0 and AMax 2.06.  MacROM 2.0 might, but only with a hacked version of
>Amax-Startup.
>MacROM 1.1 saves and loads, MacROM 2.0 only loads.
>MacROM 1.1 didn't require the cartridge, although 2.0 may.  However, there
>is a pirate pre-built FastROM2 executable available (192K) that
>  1. has the ROMs imbedded in it
>  2. doesn't require the cartridge
>  3. doesn't support printer output or a "real" mac drive on a 3000

>>David

>-----------------
>Ben, radical ecologist, computer scientist, loony at large.

My MacROM says MacROM2.lzh, but the message after execution is MacROM 1.1

So may be I have MacROM 2.0, do you get message saying MacROM 2.0?

David Tse

mikeh@touch.touch.com (Mike Haas) (06/07/91)

In article <1207@applix.com> scotte@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:
>In article <1991May31.155009.8549@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone gotten the MacRom2 program posted eariler to work?
>Give up.  It's a cruel joke, and doesn't work.  I'm certain whoever
>released that thing never really actually tried to use it.

I got it to work...honest...on my 3000.
load up the 1.3 kickstart.
it only worked when I booted the 3000 from the original AMAXII workbench,
not any other!  no idea why.

disassembled the macrom2 pgm...whole thing.  noticed that it
loads "disk.resource"...maybe it's special on the readysoft
workbench disk.

anyway...it did work...flaky as hell in getting it to, though.
took all night to stumble on the right combo.

even failed on my 1000...created the rom file, but the first few
bytes were corrupt...didn't match with the romfile my 3000
created (which works fine).

I identify with your frustration...knowing what it's supposed to
do...not being able to get it to do it.  real flaky.

jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) (06/07/91)

>rodent@netcom.COM (Ben Discoe) writes:
>>This can't be.  I know for a fact that MacROM 1.1 does NOT work with
>>2.0 and AMax 2.06.  MacROM 2.0 might, but only with a hacked version of
>>Amax-Startup.
>>MacROM 1.1 saves and loads, MacROM 2.0 only loads.
>>MacROM 1.1 didn't require the cartridge, although 2.0 may.  However, there
>>is a pirate pre-built FastROM2 executable available (192K) that
>>  1. has the ROMs imbedded in it
>>  2. doesn't require the cartridge
>>  3. doesn't support printer output or a "real" mac drive on a 3000

>>>David

>>-----------------
>>Ben, radical ecologist, computer scientist, loony at large.

>My MacROM says MacROM2.lzh, but the message after execution is MacROM 1.1

>So may be I have MacROM 2.0, do you get message saying MacROM 2.0?

>David Tse

My MacROM says MacROM2.lzh also, and the message after execution is also
MacROM 1.1.

I've gotten some responses saying they've gotten it to work but none
of the responders elaborated on what they did EXACTLY to get it to
work...   Can anybody be a little more specific on what WE can do to get
it to work? Thanks in advance, your information is very appreciated!

Jeff

--
Its not important whether you win or lose, its only important that *I* win ...

Jeff Mosher                  UUCP:     uunet!sparky!jeff
Sterling Software IMD        INTERNET: jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362

maxc1503@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/08/91)

jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:
>My MacROM says MacROM2.lzh also, and the message after execution is also
>MacROM 1.1.

>I've gotten some responses saying they've gotten it to work but none
>of the responders elaborated on what they did EXACTLY to get it to
>work...   Can anybody be a little more specific on what WE can do to get
>it to work? Thanks in advance, your information is very appreciated!

At first I cannot save the ROM on disk with MacROM 1.1, and FastMax2 crashed,
so I don't have any ROM image on file to start the load part. However, I copied
the ROM file from a friend (I have real roms, but just can't get to save), and
tried it successfully. I put MacROM 1.1, the rom file and AMaxII all under
the same directory, then I execute the following sequence on a shell, just
like you were told on the readme file:

MacROM -L rom_file
A-MaxStartup

I hit go AMax on the set-up screen, the next screen appeared, the ROMs got
loaded from the hard disk in a second. I hit return, and the Mac screen is
booted from my AMAX hard disk partition.

Several days later, someone posted (the author I think) that FastMax3.lzh
is up in the ftp sites; so I downloaded it to give it a try; this time
it works fine on the Shell, but the IconX is still screwed up, he put
XIcon instead, and the script file is wrong. I did the following:

FastMax A-MaxStartup    (if you just type FastMax, it looks for A-Max Startup
with a space in between as default).
then it prompts you for a return and etc. It reads the ROM from my cartridge,
saved under a name called "Mac ROMs", and patches the A-MaxStartup, and copy
the old one as "Original A-MaxStartup" (rename it).

I then execute this A-MaxStartup (double click), it loaded the ROM file it
created very fast during the loading time, and A-Max is booted correctly.
This is better, since I don't have to run a script, and MacROM 1.1 will
leave a non-closable window if you escape A-Max boot/setup screen.

Conclusion: FastMax3 can replace MacROM 1.1, it's cleaner and easier.
MacROM 1.1 won't save, only loads.

David Tse

orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.145834.21886@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:

>I've gotten some responses saying they've gotten it to work but none
>of the responders elaborated on what they did EXACTLY to get it to
>work...   Can anybody be a little more specific on what WE can do to get
>it to work? Thanks in advance, your information is very appreciated!
>
>Jeff

ith Macrom v1.1, A-MaxII v2.0, and a Mac ROM image built with
A-MaxI and  Macrom v1.

Put the A-max statup file, mac ROM image and Macrom into a single
directory (c:)  write a little script that says:
cd c:
macrom -L [mac ROM filename]
A-Max_Startup

create an icon for the aforementioned script, with iconx as the
default tool, and you are all set, bingo, presto, shazam...
Hey, it works for me.

--
"One man's 'harsh and bitter truth' is another man's 'foolish and uninformed
fiction'" -d.haynie

jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) (06/13/91)

In article <20349@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> orovner@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Oleg Rovner) writes:
>In article <1991Jun7.145834.21886@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM> jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Jeff Mosher) writes:
>

>>I've gotten some responses saying they've gotten it to work but none
>>of the responders elaborated on what they did EXACTLY to get it to
>>work...   Can anybody be a little more specific on what WE can do to get
>>it to work? Thanks in advance, your information is very appreciated!
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>ith Macrom v1.1, A-MaxII v2.0, and a Mac ROM image built with
>A-MaxI and  Macrom v1.
>
>Put the A-max statup file, mac ROM image and Macrom into a single
>directory (c:)  write a little script that says:
>cd c:
>macrom -L [mac ROM filename]
>A-Max_Startup
>

>create an icon for the aforementioned script, with iconx as the
>default tool, and you are all set, bingo, presto, shazam...
>Hey, it works for me.
>

>--
>"One man's 'harsh and bitter truth' is another man's 'foolish and uninformed
>fiction'" -d.haynie

I get the impression you were able to save the ROM image using macrom
version 1.   This is not the same as version 1.1 from my understanding...
Would you mind posting or emailing me a copy of macrom version 1 so I can
try what you have described?  I would really appreciate it. Thanks for the
info.   (I have macrom2 (macrom1.1) and have been unable to save a ROM image)
I don't expect to have any problem loading the ROM image, I just am unable
to save one to load! Of course, I've been mistaken before....

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

--
Its not important whether you win or lose, its only important that *I* win ...

Jeff Mosher                  UUCP:     uunet!sparky!jeff
Sterling Software IMD        INTERNET: jeff@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM

jwolf@world.std.com (Jon S Wolf) (06/17/91)

Does AMAX II work with System 7?