[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Amax

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/10/91)

  I have AMAX 2, system/finder 6.1, and am missing a few vital files,
including the multifinder and the DA mover/adder. I have Zterm .8 and
stuffit 1.5.1. Is anyone able to help me gain these files? I would be glad
to pay phone calls for a modem hookup. ZTerm and Stuffit are the only PD
programs I have so far, but I also just got access to a local Mac BBS in
Long Island. Oh, I also have the NEXT windows for the control panel. I would
also be glad to do a mail trade. I am in New York, area code 516. Thanks.

David

Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (Chris Gin) (06/17/91)

Another question for anyone who can help: Will there be a version of
Amax that allows Amiga - > Mac transfers? At the moment, I use Amax
for my assignments at Uni, but after doing them on my Amiga I need to
retype them on the Macs. There must be an easier way!!?? (other than
buying a Mac!)

Chris.

Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (06/17/91)

In article <1991Jun16.213703.12799@kcbbs.gen.nz>, Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (Chris Gin) writes:
>Another question for anyone who can help: Will there be a version of
>Amax that allows Amiga - > Mac transfers? At the moment, I use Amax
>for my assignments at Uni, but after doing them on my Amiga I need to
>retype them on the Macs. There must be an easier way!!?? (other than
>buying a Mac!)

   There is.  One of the first things I bought after getting A-Max was
a MAC drive.  I found a third-party MAC drive for $200, and it has been
worth every penny.  The drive makes transferring files between MACs
and my system (running A-Max) a real breeze.

>Chris.
>
>Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz

 / Marc Barrett  -MB- | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET        /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU   /
\        The great thing about standards is that          /
 \       there are so many of them to choose from.       /

Raman_Anand@mindlink.bc.ca (Raman Anand) (06/18/91)

> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
> In article <1991Jun17.104127.29505@news.iastate.edu> taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu
> writes:
> >   There is.  One of the first things I bought after getting A-Max was
> >a MAC drive.  I found a third-party MAC drive for $200, and it has been
> >worth every penny.  The drive makes transferring files between MACs
> >and my system (running A-Max) a real breeze.
>
> 200 DOLLARS !!!!!!!  You can buy HIGH DENSITY Super Floppy Drives for $99!!!
> If you don't believe me, call these two places:
>
> Damark        800-721-9000   Laser   B-472-173664
> MacWarehouse  800-255-6227   Fujitsu DRI-0186
>
> Not only are these units High Density and less expensive, BUT they also
> require
> LESS power to operate and run QUIETER!
> William "Art" Warner                 //\
> CBM Amiga Student Rep.             \X/--\miga makes it happen..........
> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu          IBM, Apple, Sun, & Next make it expensive!

Do these High Density "HD" (1.44MB) drives work with AMAXII?

Raman

* "I believe in a God which doesn't need heavy financing.", Fletch *
* Raman Anand                                                      *
* CIS: 73767,2161                                                  *
* USENET: 73767.2161@compuserve.com or Raman_Anand@mindlink.UUCP   *
*               VANCOUVER, BEAUTIFUL BRITISH COLUMBIA              *
*           (604) 591-5344 (Home) - (604) 522-1137 (Work)          *

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/18/91)

In a message dated Mon 17 Jun 91 13:18, Chris_gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (chris Gin)
wrote:

 CG> Another question for anyone who can help: Will there be a version of
 CG> Amax that allows Amiga - > Mac transfers? At the moment, I use Amax
 CG> for my assignments at Uni, but after doing them on my Amiga I need to
 CG>
 CG> retype them on the Macs. There must be an easier way!!?? (other than
 CG> buying a Mac!)

Three ways to kill this particular bird:

1> use a modem to transfer files from your Amiga to your Mac. I use host
sofware on the Amiga (our very own DLG Professional... coming to a BBS near
you!) and I can ring my system up from work and transfer files that way. One
of the features of DLG is that it allows the sysop to call from remote and
"Drop to DOS" where you can prowl around your HD and transfer files to
yourself through a shell. Weird experience typing AmigaDOS commands into a
shell that is actually a terminal screen on the Mac...

2> get CrossDOS (commercial) or MSH (ShareWare) to put the Amiga files on an
MSDOS compatible disk and use Apple File Exchange to read that disk onto the
Mac. Apple File Exchange comes free with the Mac OS, and any Mac with a HD
floppy can read/write MSDOS disks with that utility.

3> get AMax and a Mac compatible drive. Use the File Transfer under Amax to
read the Amiga stuff off the Amiga disk, and then copy that file onto a Mac
disk in the Mac drive.

Of the three options, #2 is the cheapest, and the one I used for quite a
while, until I put DLG up on my Amiga.

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) (06/18/91)

--

coxc0032@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/19/91)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Art Warner) writes:

>200 DOLLARS !!!!!!!  You can buy HIGH DENSITY Super Floppy Drives for $99!!!

What do you mean by HIGH DENSITY? By Macintosh standard, high density floppy
drive is 1.44 MB format, is that what you're talking about? Again, SuperDrive
is used by Apple Macintosh to identify 1.44 MB drive, is that what you mean?

>If you don't believe me, call these two places:

I believe you in the price, actually MacDirect also sells the Fujitsu for
$99, I bought mine at school here for $150 before I knew it.

>Damark        800-721-9000   Laser   B-472-173664
>MacWarehouse  800-255-6227   Fujitsu DRI-0186

>Not only are these units High Density and less expensive, BUT they also require
>LESS power to operate and run QUIETER!

But I don't believe your claim (twice), that those drive to be High Density.
less power and quieter compare to what? Yes to the original Mac drive maybe,
but the one you are countering talked about a compatible model, without
stating which, how do you compare? You can say it takes little power and
is very quiet, but what you said is not completed without stating the
counter subject.

>--
>William "Art" Warner                 //\
>CBM Amiga Student Rep.             \X/--\miga makes it happen..........
>wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu          IBM, Apple, Sun, & Next make it expensive!

Student Rep.? at Purdue? whaooo, forgive me, may be I should not say all
the above, to make it such a big deal.

Disclaimer: I'm not a Marc Barrett sympathizer, I'd do the same if Marc
made this error.

David

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/19/91)

taab5@isuvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   There is.  One of the first things I bought after getting A-Max was
>a MAC drive.  I found a third-party MAC drive for $200, and it has been
>worth every penny.  The drive makes transferring files between MACs
>and my system (running A-Max) a real breeze.

The cool thing is... the third party drives can be found for $100 easily
these days :)

-Beej

PS- I got one from Mac Direct and although the drive is very slim line,
    it is "off-tan" color of the old Mac+ (yuch!).

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (Chris Gin) (06/21/91)

Yes, method 2 (using CrossDos) sounds good.  The only problem MIGHT
be the Apple File Exchange program you mentioned. You said it comes
with the OS?? I'm not familiar with this....but if I get that sussed
out, it sounds like my problem could be solved nicely! Thanks!

Chris.