[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Bridgeboard ABoot & MakeAB

cac5961@rouge.usl.edu (Castor Christian A) (06/15/91)

   What is the purpose of the MakeAB command?   From the
only documentation (a vague readme file) that came with
my Janus upgrade and from a little experimentation, it
seems that it creates a huge file refered as a 'fake'
drive.  What do you do with this big monster?  :-)
Any clue, hint, suggestion, or comment will be greatly
appreciated.   * Thanx * .

           -  Chris

  Christian Castor - cac5961@usl.edu or chris@usl.edu -  CIS: 73030,2734
  Plink: ChrisC - (318)232-2045 - Snail: PO Box 43402,Lafayette LA 70504

Craig_Everhart@transarc.com (06/18/91)

Why, you use this big file (presumably on an Amiga hard drive) as a
simulated [``fake''] hard drive on the PC.  If you don't have a separate
hard drive for the PC side, it saves a lot of trouble in loading
floppies all the time.

		Craig

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/19/91)

In article <32988@rouge.usl.edu>, cac5961@rouge.usl.edu (Castor
Christian A) writes:
|>   What is the purpose of the MakeAB command?   From the
|>only documentation (a vague readme file) that came with
|>my Janus upgrade and from a little experimentation, it
|>seems that it creates a huge file refered as a 'fake'
|>drive.  What do you do with this big monster?  :-)
|>Any clue, hint, suggestion, or comment will be greatly
|>appreciated.   * Thanx * .

What it does it create a 'virtual' disk drive that you can use as a boot
device.
In the PC drawer (somewhere) there is a small file that contains the AmigaDOS
pathname for this file, and when the Janus software boots itself up it looks in
this file, links itself to it and uses it as the "C:" drive.  You'll
recall that
C: is usually a hard disk on MSDOS systems, so you get a 'virtual' hard disk!

Works wonders for those of us who couldn't get our XT hard drives to
work on the
IBM side.

|>  Christian Castor - cac5961@usl.edu or chris@usl.edu -  CIS: 73030,2734

-Kris

| Kriston J. Rehberg,  Consultant,  SUNY-Binghamton Computer Services |
| <consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu>  or  <consp03@BINGVAXA.BITnet> |
| #include <stddiscl.h>        "Hackito ergo sum" - old Latin proverb |
+-------------------------------------------------------------- ;-b --+

eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize Oosting) (06/21/91)

In article <32988@rouge.usl.edu> cac5961@rouge.usl.edu (Castor Christian A) writes:

>   What is the purpose of the MakeAB command?   From the
>only documentation (a vague readme file) that came with
>my Janus upgrade and from a little experimentation, it
>seems that it creates a huge file refered as a 'fake'
>drive.  What do you do with this big monster?  :-)
>Any clue, hint, suggestion, or comment will be greatly
>appreciated.   * Thanx * .

It creates a fake harddrive for the BridgeBoard. The name of the file should
be in the file SYS:Pc/ABoot.CTRL and when you start the BridgeBoard, that
one will think it has a hard drive. (Don't forget to RUN PcDisk on the Amiga).

I don't know what happenes if you already have a real harddisk hanging on the
BB, and I also have no succeeded to make to virtual harddrives at the same time
(one as C and one as D). I want to do this to create a new virtual drive without
having to backup the old one. (Anyone suggestions??).

  /\__________/\   /\___________________________________________________/\
 /              \ /                                                       \
|   Letteren-    |  Marvin Minsky once defined Artificial Intelligence as: |
|   Faculteit    |   '... the science of making machines do things that    |
| R.U. Groningen |   would require intelligence if done by men'.           |
| The Netherlands|                                                         |
|                |  Does this include adding a device to the Mountlist?    |
| eoo@let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |
 \  __________  / \  ___________________________________________________  /
  \/          \/   \/                                                   \/

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.142514.15005@let.rug.nl>, eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize
Oosting) writes:
|>I don't know what happenes if you already have a real harddisk hanging on the
|>BB, and I also have no succeeded to make to virtual harddrives at the
same time
|>(one as C and one as D). I want to do this to create a new virtual
drive without
|>having to backup the old one. (Anyone suggestions??).

If you already have a C: drive on the BB side, the virtual drive will
show up as D: (at least, in theory and the sparse documentation seem to
infer this).

If you want another virtual drive, use the JLINK utility.  That's in the
original docs.  The MakeAB wasn't really in the regular docs on my
BridgeBoard.  The idea is, you have the automatic auto-boot C: drive
from MAkeAB, and then you JLINK another drive after that (can be an
existing one).  Don't forget to add the stuff in the CONFIG.SYS file
that JLINK wants - I forget the name (never use it) but it's in the book.

Good luck.

|>| eoo@let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.164935.29617@newserve.cc.binghamton.edu> consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.142514.15005@let.rug.nl>, eoo@let.rug.nl (Eize
>Oosting) writes:
>|>I don't know what happenes if you already have a real harddisk hanging on the
>|>BB, and I also have no succeeded to make to virtual harddrives at the
>same time
>|>(one as C and one as D). I want to do this to create a new virtual
>drive without
>|>having to backup the old one. (Anyone suggestions??).
>
>If you already have a C: drive on the BB side, the virtual drive will
>show up as D: (at least, in theory and the sparse documentation seem to
>infer this).
>
>|>| eoo@let.rug.nl |                                           Eize Oosting  |
>

>-Kris

        While we're on the topic, can anyone explain this behaviour : When
I boot my BB, it will usually boot normally from its _OWN_ 30 MB harddrive
partitioned 24 IBM 6 Amiga (or something close).  The Amiga drive isn't
even mounted as of yet and when I get my BB working reliably (due to other
problems, NOT the one I'm describing) I may use it as an independent
UUSPOOL: partition to increase UUCP throughput by separating the drives.
Anyways, if I reboot (CTL-ALT-DEL) the PC with PCDIsk running, the BB will
print

Can't find file SYS:PC/System/ABoot.CTL

        or whatever the file is.  I have NEVER attempted to make this
partition so the BB has NO reason to look for this.  When I create it and
leave it blank - the same thing.  This wouldn't bother me if it printed it
once and got on with it's life.  Would the Commodore 2088 BB do this?
NOOOOO.  It insists on printing it 15 gazillon (about 50) times every time
any sort of I/O access is done.  Sometimes the access isn't even to a drive
(it just randomly prints it).  This is printed regardless of whether there
is a graphics screen currently displayed by some IBM program or not.

        Why does it do this?  How can I stop it (short of removing PCDisk
every time I reboot)?  Does anyone have a clue or an inkling as to what's
going on here?

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000 UUCPv1.13D.
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca | Please Mail any binaries

burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de (Klaus Burkert) (06/24/91)

In article <clemon.4902@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>        While we're on the topic, can anyone explain this behaviour : When
>I boot my BB, it will usually boot normally from its _OWN_ 30 MB harddrive
>partitioned 24 IBM 6 Amiga (or something close).  The Amiga drive isn't
>even mounted as of yet and when I get my BB working reliably (due to other
>problems, NOT the one I'm describing) I may use it as an independent
>UUSPOOL: partition to increase UUCP throughput by separating the drives.
>Anyways, if I reboot (CTL-ALT-DEL) the PC with PCDIsk running, the BB will
>print
>
>Can't find file SYS:PC/System/ABoot.CTL

Sounds very weird!
I think I need more details on Your configuration:
 - Which KS/WB-Version?
 - Contents of Your SYS:PC/Systems - directory
 - Contents of SYS:PC/System/ABoot.CTRL (if existing)
 - What is mounted (Janus-Stuff)
 - Which Janus-Services are active (if any)
 - Which Emulator-BIOS-Version
 - Which Janus-Version (Janus-Library and PC-Handler)
 - Contents of CONFIG.SYS and  AUTOEXEC.BAT
 - Type of PC-HD
 - Type of BB (XT/AT? if AT which CMOS-Setup?)
 - Which FDISK-Setup (active Partition?)

I hope I can help, when I get the infos.

Klaus.

Klaus Burkert        email: burkert1@platon.fmi.uni-passau.de
Brandweg 11          voice: +49-851/83993
D-W-8390 Passau   /  Federal Republic of Germany