[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] How to create a ram disk on AMAX II?

MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ji Ma) (06/15/91)

There is a option on AMAX II startup screen that allow you to reserve ram for
a ram disk.  I create a ram disk on amiga side and rename it as AMAX and start
the AMAXII.  The AMAX do find this ram disk and reformated.  But no icon for
it, so I can not use it inside AMAX II.  Can any body tell me what is wrong
with my method or AMAX II?

Maji

James_Hastings-Trew@tptbbs.UUCP (James Hastings-Trew) (06/15/91)

In a message dated Sat 15 Jun 91 04:46, Maji@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu (ji M
wrote:

 MM> There is a option on AMAX II startup screen that allow you to reserve
 MM> ram for
 MM> a ram disk.  I create a ram disk on amiga side and rename it as AMAX
 MM> and start
 MM> the AMAXII.  The AMAX do find this ram disk and reformated.  But no
 MM> icon for
 MM> it, so I can not use it inside AMAX II.  Can any body tell me what is
 MM> wrong
 MM> with my method or AMAX II?

The Amax RAM disk has nothing to do with the Amiga's RAM disk.

If you set aside some memory for the Amax RAM disk on the Amax startup
screen, then when you run Amax, press the F1 key to create that RAM disk. If
it is not formatted then it will want to do that. If the format takes a very
short amount of time, and no ICON appears, then you have not got enough
memory set aside to actually create a working RAM disk.

On my system I set aside 2 megs for a RAM disk, and that seems to be good. I
do most of my work in the RAM disk and only put finished stuff on the HD.
Faster than a real MAC that way. Before Amax II's HD support, I used to copy
the Mac system disk into the RAM disk and restart the Amax system. A simple
hit of the F1 key is all you need to "insert" the RAM disk, and BLAM, the
system re-boots in seconds and is scads faster than running off floppies. Now
that I have HD support I don't do that any more.

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/16/91)

Did you hit the F1 key?

--
John  M.  Adams   --****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu            Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

coxc0032@ucselx.sdsu.edu (David Tse) (06/19/91)

MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ji Ma) writes:
>There is a option on AMAX II startup screen that allow you to reserve ram for
>a ram disk.  I create a ram disk on amiga side and rename it as AMAX and start
>the AMAXII.  The AMAX do find this ram disk and reformated.  But no icon for
>it, so I can not use it inside AMAX II.  Can any body tell me what is wrong
>with my method or AMAX II?

>Maji

Amiga ramdisk and Mac ramdisk are oranges and apples (don't you know there
is a kind of apple called Mcintosh ? :) You have to allocate the size on
the Startup screen. Please follow the instruction on the manual. There is
nothing wrong in AmaxII about the ramdisk, it works. Again, READ THE
MANUAL, I BEG YOU.

David

jsurace@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Jason A. Surace) (06/25/91)

  Its actually easy to create a ram disk under AMAX II.
The startup screen with all the gadgets allows you to
adjust the available system memory. All that you remove
is allocated to the ram disk. After starting AMAX, hit
"F1" and you will be prompted to format the RAM Disk.

                                     Jason Surace
                                    jsurace@iago.caltech.edu
                                      A3000