[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBeM

Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz (Steven Biddle) (03/10/91)

Would it be possible for somebody to reply to this telling me where
IBeM is available from? I'd appreciate it a lot as it sounds like a
great program..Thanks..

  Steven Biddle - Wellington, New Zealand. Mail: Steven_Biddle@cavebbs.gen.nz

steve@wildcat.UUCP (Steve Holland) (03/11/91)

	Where can I get IBeM?
is it available on any mail-FTP sites?

----------->Steve Holland<-----------
Internet: wildcat!steve@alfalfa.com  | "I never let my schooling get in the
USENET:  ...!alphalpha!wildcat!steve | way of my education" -Mark Twain
<if alfalfa doesn't work, try alphalpha>

ahinds@hcunix.haverford.edu (Alexander Hinds) (03/28/91)

	Since I missed much of the previous discussion, I hoped that
someone could tell me what this program is, where I can ftp it (if its
pd), if it runs on a 2500/30, etc.  Thanks.

Alexander Hinds
A_HINDS@HVRFORD

sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu (04/11/91)

Could I please have any information regarding the IBeM emulator that I have
heard / read mention of in European magazines, and on the net?  It is my
understanding that this device is software only, is that correct?

                  			Doug
					SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr10.215136.157@mac.cc.macalstr.edu>, sdfusc@mac.cc.macalstr.edu writes:
> Could I please have any information regarding the IBeM emulator that I have
> heard / read mention of in European magazines, and on the net?  It is my
> understanding that this device is software only, is that correct?
>
>                   			Doug
> 					SDFUSC@MACALSTR.EDU

IBeM is a software only PC emulator, for Amiga's with 020/030/040
processors, and at least 2mb of fast-ram. As opposed to taking over
the machine (as transformer does) it gives you a PC running as a
separate task on it's own screen (it runs at priority -1 so as to
not slow down the rest of the system too much).

It emulates CGA (both text and graphics modes), supports reading/writing of
PC format 3.5" disks (via either the PD MSH drivers, or via the commercial
CrossdDos package - neither of these are included in the demo, it is up to the
user to supply them), the use of a PC partition on _any_ amiga hard-disk,
and gives you an emulated PC with a total of 704k of ram which norton's
SI rates at about 1.1x a 4.77mhz XT.

IBeM is shareware (US$30 to register), though there is a demo version
floating around various networks - the demo is a rather early version
(1.00) and has a few bugs that are fixed in the current release version,
plus it has a rather flaky mountlist parser (the newest registered version
no longer reads the mountlist direct, instead you use the DOS mount command
and IBeM reads the enviroment), and is limited to a 2mb emulated hard-disk
and a maximum run-time per session of 15minutes.

The registered version supports any-size hard-disk, plus has support for
parallel printers, and is generally cleaned up compared to the demo
(has decent error messages for a start). Hopefully Mark Tomlinson
(the author) will get around to releasing a newer demo soon....

Unfortunately Mark doesn't have direct usenet access at the moment (this
should be cured finally in the next week or so), but if you want to email
him he can be contacted at the following address:

    tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May11.130321.713@csc.canterbury.ac.nz>,
chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) writes...
<GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu> writes:

>> - IBeM - (I can't run on my A500...)
>
>the 68000 version of IBeM (which will work on ANY Amiga, with ANY amount
>of memory) is very nearly ready according to Mark Tomlinson (the author).
>I've actually seen it running - he's just trying to flush out the last
>few bugs now...

Well, since it looks like someone has some knowledge of the IBeM system, maybe
you can help me with a problem.  I have an A3000 and can't get the IBeM
emulator running on my configuration.  The thing I am perplexed about is that I
have 4 megs, 2 chip and 2 fast.  Once Kickstart is loaded I only have 1.5 fast
and real close to 2 megs of chip.  IBeM still does not seem to run, even on a
completely blank system (the initial CLI and nothing else).  Does IBeM require
2 megs of FAST ram free or just 2 megs of memory (ANY type) free?  Whenever I
try to run it and have the system disk in the drive, the screen goes black and
the drive light comes for small amount of time and then it just quits.  No
errors, no gurus, nothing.  Just comes back to what I was doing.  It doesn't
tell me anything.  This version is the Demo version from ab20.  Also, I am not
using MSH, rather I own CrossDOS and thought that would do just as well.
Should I get MSH and try it or is that a waste of time.  I do prefer CrossDOS
and would rather use it.

On the same subject, I have a comment about IBeM.  I still can't see why an IBM
emulator requires 2 megs of ANY TYPE of RAM to run a system that can't use any
more than 640k (other than paging).  It makes NO sense to me whatsoever.  I am
sorry to say, that if a demo version that is supposed to run on my system
doesn't I can't really see purchasing the full version as who knows if it will
even run.  If anyone can provide me with some insight to this problem, please
do.  I'd love to see this run on my 3000.

Does this new version of IBeM require less memory?

>| o  John Davis - CHEM194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz           o |
>| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
>| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

Brian Wright
wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu   or   wright@etsuvax2.bitnet
Standard Disclaimer... not my words and all that jazz.

gok0840a@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (KULP, GO) (05/14/91)

If you have crossdos/messydos working right, then the IBeM emulator is
working fine.  The black screen is its attempt to load MSDos...You have to have
an MSDos system diskette, and programs, to use IBeM.  What I do is stick in the
Dos diskette first, then run IBeM.  Works great.

I have no Idea about how much memory it takes.  I thought it took an even 1Meg,
just to make things easy on itself.  That is just my memory of the program
notes, however.

Geno, the Happy Camper.

ps.  If this actually reaches the net, please send me a message back.  I fear
that the messages I have been posting have not reached the net at all.  Thanks.

tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.005311.46707@vaxb.acs.unt.edu>, wright@etsuv2.etsu.edu (BRIAN WRIGHT) writes:

> Well, since it looks like someone has some knowledge of the IBeM system, maybe
> you can help me with a problem.  I have an A3000 and can't get the IBeM
> emulator running on my configuration.  The thing I am perplexed about is that I
> have 4 megs, 2 chip and 2 fast.  Once Kickstart is loaded I only have 1.5 fast
> and real close to 2 megs of chip.  IBeM still does not seem to run, even on a
> completely blank system (the initial CLI and nothing else).  Does IBeM require
> 2 megs of FAST ram free or just 2 megs of memory (ANY type) free?  Whenever I

IBeM requires one whole meg of contiguous free memory plus other small bits.
It does not require 2M of fast memory, and will actually run on an A3000 with
2M chip and only 1M fast.  The requirement of 2M was only to ensure that there
was 1M of contiguous memory.

> try to run it and have the system disk in the drive, the screen goes black and
> the drive light comes for small amount of time and then it just quits.  No

If the screen goes black, all memory has been allocated at this stage.  The
drive light going on is when IBeM tries to boot MS-DOS.  You must have a
bootable MS-DOS disk in the IBMA: drive at this point!  Some MS-DOS disks also
did not boot under the demo version.  These bugs have been fixed now and I hope
to get a new demo version out shortly.  I know that MS-DOS 3.2, 3.3 and 4.01
all work.  (Laptop DOS's had problems).

> errors, no gurus, nothing.  Just comes back to what I was doing.  It doesn't
> tell me anything.  This version is the Demo version from ab20.  Also, I am not
> using MSH, rather I own CrossDOS and thought that would do just as well.
> Should I get MSH and try it or is that a waste of time.  I do prefer CrossDOS
> and would rather use it.

CrossDOS does work fine.  I have tried it myself to prove that it would work.

> On the same subject, I have a comment about IBeM.  I still can't see why an IBM
> emulator requires 2 megs of ANY TYPE of RAM to run a system that can't use any
> more than 640k (other than paging).  It makes NO sense to me whatsoever.  I am

It only requires one complete meg of ram.  Since some bytes are always lost
before you start, you need more than one meg of memory in your machine before
you start.  Anyway, IBeM does actually give you 704K of memory (+ screen mem
and ROM BIOS).  If you like, you can write software to make use of the extra
segments of memory between the screen and the start of BIOS (if that makes you
feel better about not wasting memory).

> sorry to say, that if a demo version that is supposed to run on my system
> doesn't I can't really see purchasing the full version as who knows if it will
> even run.  If anyone can provide me with some insight to this problem, please
> do.  I'd love to see this run on my 3000.

It should run - its just that the demo was picky on DOS versions.  The new
version is much improved, and even includes error messages!

> Does this new version of IBeM require less memory?

The even newer version (avail RSN) will work with any amount of memory (you
tell it what size mem space you want).  I have seen it running on a 1M chip
only A500 (yes, this is the 68000 version).

> Brian Wright
> wright%etsuvax2@ricevm1.rice.edu   or   wright@etsuvax2.bitnet
> Standard Disclaimer... not my words and all that jazz.

 - Mark Tomlinson

Reply to: tomlinson@elec.canterbury.ac.nz

Disclaimer:  I only wrote the thing - I don't understand how it works!

ptavoly@cs.ruu.nl (Peter Tavoly) (06/25/91)

In <1991Jun25.081138.26254@unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:

>Running IBeM 030 version,
>SI (Norton System Information) gave
>      1.0 on a A3000/16 with 3 MB RAM
>      1.1 on a A2000 with A2630/25 Turbo-Card and 2 MB (32 Bit)
>      1.3 on a A3000/25 with 3 MB RAM
>      1.3 on a A2000 with A2630/33 Turbo-Card and 2 MB

With the GVP 50Mhz board this would mean.. err.. (50/33)*1.3 = 1.97 or
approximately the same speed as the Commodore XT bridgeboard. When
the '040 cards are available (or an A4000?) this could well jump again.

Just guesswork, followups (if any) directed to c.s.a.advocacy.

>Markus Illenseer, Computer Science , University of Bielefeld, Germany

 -Thomas.

This account expires on 01-Sep-91. No more VR, it's RL now! :)
Thomas Tavoly, Commercial Computer Science, HEAO Utrecht, NL.           / / /
ptavoly@praxis.cs.ruu.nl - Thomas speaking!  .sig v3.3               AMIGA /
 ICE - brain-blasting zombie-making voodoo electronics.         \ \ \/ / /