[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] IBMeM

r3med@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Mark E Daniel) (06/19/91)

Greetings all.  Recently I read in this newsgroup about IBMeM, which is
supposed to be a Shareware IBM emulator.  I am interested in obtaining a
copy.  From where can it be FTPd?  And how well does it emulate an IBM and
in what modes?

--
"To Study is to survive..." -Me (Now if I could only grasp that..)

"Somewhere...There's Someone Who Cares....With a Heart of GOLD to Have and to
Hold" - Depeche Mode.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-(Now for the real stuff)=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Mark E Daniel  (Strugling student at The Universaty of Akron) **Music fan***
r3med@vax1.cc.uakron.edu
BBS:216\825-2747

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.043827.26669@kcbbs.gen.nz> Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (Chris Gin) writes:
>[IBeM] runs about 2.5 times as fast as Transformer, and it allows you to
>multitask as well (so you can run Amiga stuff in another window!)

And, if you have the memory, you can run two copies of IBeM: the
closest thing to multitasking that MS-DOS has ever come ;-)
	Norton Utilities SI (v4.x I think) gives a rating of 1.3 on my
32 MHz 68030 -- that's the 68000 version, because the 68020 version
has problems with my GVP board.  A rating of 1.3 indicates performance
equivalent to a 6 MHz XT.
	Incidentally, I ran it on a stock A500.  SI gave 0.1 and I
laughed my head off watching it run ... no, crawl ... Good software,
but you need something more than a 7 MHz 68000 to get something out
of it.

 ._.  Udo Schuermann	   "Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter
 ( )  walrus@wam.umd.edu    with the promise of the brave new world unfurled
 Seeking virtual memory     beneath the clear blue sky?" -- Pink Floyd

Chris_Gin@kcbbs.gen.nz (Chris Gin) (06/21/91)

IBeM was written by a guy in NZ (I think). The address of the author
is as follows:   Mark Tomlinson,
                 30 Kirner St,
                 Christchurch 9,
                 New Zealand/

Hope that helps. I haven't run it myself yet, because you need eithe
rCrossDos or MSH to turn your drive into an IBM one, but apparently
it runs about 2.5 times as fast as Transformer, and it allows you to
multitask as well (so you can run Amiga stuff in another window!)

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun20.214315.19252@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
>	Incidentally, I ran it on a stock A500.  SI gave 0.1 and I
>laughed my head off watching it run ... no, crawl ... Good software,
>but you need something more than a 7 MHz 68000 to get something out
>of it.

Anybody know how fast it runs on a 16 MHz A3000?

--
  *  From the disk of:	|  jms@vanth.uucp		 |  "Let's become
  Jim Shaffer, Jr.	|  amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms  |   alive again."

markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) (06/25/91)

In article <jms.4655@vanth.UUCP>, jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun20.214315.19252@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
|> >	Incidentally, I ran it on a stock A500.  SI gave 0.1 and I
|> >laughed my head off watching it run ... no, crawl ... Good software,
|> >but you need something more than a 7 MHz 68000 to get something out
|> >of it.
|>
|> Anybody know how fast it runs on a 16 MHz A3000?
Running IBeM 030 version,
SI (Norton System Information) gave
      1.0 on a A3000/16 with 3 MB RAM
      1.1 on a A2000 with A2630/25 Turbo-Card and 2 MB (32 Bit)
      1.3 on a A3000/25 with 3 MB RAM
      1.3 on a A2000 with A2630/33 Turbo-Card and 2 MB

BTW. The RAM-Access is VERY fast , about 1000% faster than XT/4.77.
     The RAM-Register or Register-RAM is VERY SLOW. About 0.3 of XT/4.77
     (due to the emulation, of course..)

|> --
|>   *  From the disk of:	|  jms@vanth.uucp		 |  "Let's become
|>   Jim Shaffer, Jr.	|  amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms  |   alive again."
|>   37 Brook Street	|  uunet!cbmvax!amix!vanth!jms	 |
|>   Montgomery, PA 17752	|  72750.2335@compuserve.com	 |	   --Yes

--
CU, Markus

Markus Illenseer, Computer Science , University of Bielefeld, Germany
I read the news today, oh boys ... about a lucky man who made the grade ...

cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Todd Masco) (06/25/91)

Random piece of information:

IBeM runs MS-Dos V5.0 fine, except that I've had some problems with
directories.

I register RSN.
--
Todd L. Masco - CMU Physics   | "Free speech is the right to shout
cactus@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu |   'theatre' in a crowded fire."

smp@myamiga.UUCP (Steven M. Palm) (06/27/91)

In <1991Jun25.081138.26254@unibi.uni-bielefeld.de> markus@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de (Markus Illenseer) writes:

>Running IBeM 030 version,
>SI (Norton System Information) gave
>      1.0 on a A3000/16 with 3 MB RAM
>      1.1 on a A2000 with A2630/25 Turbo-Card and 2 MB (32 Bit)
>      1.3 on a A3000/25 with 3 MB RAM
>      1.3 on a A2000 with A2630/33 Turbo-Card and 2 MB

On my 2088-XT BridgeBoard I get a SI rating of 2.7 using the speedup programs
distributed here.  Not bad, eh?  I also have the V20 installed, and I now
find the system quite useable.  Heck, my Turbo IBM clone only gets around
2.5 or so, I think... :-)

--
| smp@myamiga.UUCP |  myamiga!smp@fps.mcw.edu |  rutgers!uwm!fps!myamiga!smp |