[comp.sys.amiga.emulations] Hiding the Amax icon under Workbench

rajah@con.Berkeley.EDU (Raja S Kushalnagar) (06/24/91)

I remember reading a while ago on this newsgroup that it was possible
not to have the Amax icon pop up on the Workbench screen. It had
something to do with making the amax partition non-automounting,
but I didn't get it ... if it is not mounted, how can Amax recognize
it while it is started from under workbench? Or does Amax just scan
the hard disk for any partition named Amax* and attempt to start from
it through loading hddisk.device to memory and abandoning AmigaDOS?

I have a A2090A/Rodime ST506 40 MB and AmaxII in my stock A2000HD.
(Kudos to ReadySoft for getting Amax to work with a NON scsi hard
disk. How did they do that, I wonder? I know the A2090A is both a
ST506 and SCSI controller, but ....) BTW, does the 2091 (or the one
on the A3000 anyway) have ST506 capability?

I'd also like to prevent the icons for my boot: and RAM DISK: showing
up, since I rarely use them through workbench. With boot:, I can just
delete the Disk.icon, but for RAM:, where does it copy its stuff from?
How can I prevent the icon for RAM: showing up?

Sorry for putting all questions in one post, but I don't post often.... :)

	Raja.
Disclaimer: No statement can ever be more accurate than h bar over 2 pi.
(Isn't pseudo-goedel logic wonderful?)

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/25/91)

The secret is making your Amax WB Icon run a script
via IconX which first mounts your AMAX partition and
then run the Amax program...
--
John  M.  Adams   --*****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu             Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/26/91)

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:

>The secret is making your Amax WB Icon run a script
>via IconX which first mounts your AMAX partition and
>then run the Amax program...

My 3000 automounts the hard drive that contains my AMAX partition.
How can I get all the information to fill a mountlist entry for
this partition???

-Beej

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) (06/26/91)

>jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>
>My 3000 automounts the hard drive that contains my AMAX partition.
>How can I get all the information to fill a mountlist entry for
>this partition???

If all you're trying to do is make the Icon for your Amax partition
invisible, then go into HDTOOLBOX and change the file system that the
partition is using.  Select "reserved" for the file system and voila -
Under workbench 2.0, no icon will appear, and AMAX will continue to
use the partition just as usual.

--
Rick Kent                                              // Only
California State University, Bakersfield             \X/  Amiga!

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/28/91)

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) writes:

>>jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>>
>>My 3000 automounts the hard drive that contains my AMAX partition.
>>How can I get all the information to fill a mountlist entry for
>>this partition???

I believe the above statement came from me (excluding the possibility of
a major coincidence :)  You shouldn't blame Mr. Adams for these silly
questions anyway :)

>If all you're trying to do is make the Icon for your Amax partition
>invisible, then go into HDTOOLBOX and change the file system that the
>partition is using.  Select "reserved" for the file system and voila -
>Under workbench 2.0, no icon will appear, and AMAX will continue to
>use the partition just as usual.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Are you absolutely sure??? Because when I go to save the afforementioned
change, HDToolbox warns of impending doom for all the data on my AMax
partition:

Warning!  This operation will destroy the data in the following partitions:
AMAX:

I have no balls so I hit cancel.  Unless someone says otherwise, I'm going to
back up before I try this one.

-Beej (a spineless wimp at large :)

--

gpotts@oregon.uoregon.edu (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.185405.8885@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:
> rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) writes:
>
>>>jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>>>
>>>My 3000 automounts the hard drive that contains my AMAX partition.
>>>How can I get all the information to fill a mountlist entry for
>>>this partition???
>
> I believe the above statement came from me (excluding the possibility of
> a major coincidence :)  You shouldn't blame Mr. Adams for these silly
> questions anyway :)
>
>>If all you're trying to do is make the Icon for your Amax partition
>>invisible, then go into HDTOOLBOX and change the file system that the
>>partition is using.  Select "reserved" for the file system and voila -
>>Under workbench 2.0, no icon will appear, and AMAX will continue to
>>use the partition just as usual.
>                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Are you absolutely sure??? Because when I go to save the afforementioned
> change, HDToolbox warns of impending doom for all the data on my AMax
> partition:
>
> Warning!  This operation will destroy the data in the following partitions:
> AMAX:
>
> I have no balls so I hit cancel.  Unless someone says otherwise, I'm going to
> back up before I try this one.
>
> -Beej (a spineless wimp at large :)
>
> --
> I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
> I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
> I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
> mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

That alert made me nervous as well but as I had little on my A-Max partition
at the time, I went ahead with the opperation fully expecting to have to
reformat the partition under A-Max and reinstall my software. Imagine my
surprize when, next time I started A-Max, it booted right up off the partition
and all data was there intact. It worked for me -- son't lnow why, just that
it did. Good luck.

--geoff

atiya@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Atiya Y. Hakeem) (06/28/91)

I tried changing the file system type to reserved on my AMAX partition
yesterday.  Despite HDToolbox's warning no data was lost on the
partition, the AMAX icon does not appear on the Workbench, and
AMAX works as usual.

                                      Atiya Hakeem
                                      atiya@iago.caltech.edu
                                      A3000

stephane@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Stephane Guillard) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.185405.8885@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:
>rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) writes:
>
>>>jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>>>
>>If all you're trying to do is make the Icon for your Amax partition
>>invisible, then go into HDTOOLBOX and change the file system that the
>>partition is using.  Select "reserved" for the file system and voila -
>>Under workbench 2.0, no icon will appear, and AMAX will continue to
>>use the partition just as usual.
>                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Are you absolutely sure??? Because when I go to save the afforementioned
>change, HDToolbox warns of impending doom for all the data on my AMax
>partition:
>
>Warning!  This operation will destroy the data in the following partitions:
>AMAX:
>
>I have no balls so I hit cancel.  Unless someone says otherwise, I'm going to
>back up before I try this one.

    I have tried this for both the AMAX partition and the IBeM partition and
    IT DOES WORK : no loss of data.

>-Beej (a spineless wimp at large :)
>
>--
>I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
>I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
>I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
>mail: bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

--
 \\\  Only Amiga    | Stephane GUILLARD - GRASP INSA Lyon FRANCE
  \\\   makes it    | Tel: +33 72438383 poste 5546

dfisk@level10.UUCP (David Fisk) (07/01/91)

In article <21217.2869e66b@oregon.uoregon.edu>, gpotts@oregon.uoregon.edu writes:

> That alert made me nervous as well but as I had little on my A-Max partition
> at the time, I went ahead with the opperation fully expecting to have to
> reformat the partition under A-Max and reinstall my software. Imagine my
> surprize when, next time I started A-Max, it booted right up off the partition
> and all data was there intact. It worked for me -- son't lnow why, just that
> it did. Good luck.
>
> --geoff

HDToolbox was reporting that to you because you were changing a partition
that it thought was FastFileSystem to Reserved. If there actually were
AmigaDOS information on that partition, then it would have indeed trashed
the data on it (only if you actually wrote to it in that state). Now since
A-Max has it's own concept of what should be on the partition, and it
ignores the chosen filesystem, you don't have a problem.

Dave...
  David Fisk - level10%dfisk@merk.com          ...uunet!merk!level10!dfisk