[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] JRCOMM on an Amiga 1000 WB 1.2

n8735053@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Iain Davidson) (01/10/91)

I'm having some trouble running JRCOMM 1.01 (?) on my
    Amiga 1000 under workbench/kickstart 1.2 with 2.5 megs of RAM.

Someone is trying to convince me to switch over to JRComm from Vt100
    terminal emulation program. If it is half as good as he says it
    is I'll more than glad send the "registration" fee.

Everytime I logon to the local VAX/VMS 5.2 with auto-answer back
   terminal setting, the COMPUTER hangs on the point which the mainframe
   ask for the terminal type. (through escape codes)  Arrrggggghhhh!!

I was currently using Vt100 v2.8 and it was working fine.

Any help would be appriecated, go ahead and post to the group or email.
Thanks! !-iain

--
I.Davidson, A)BITS@wwu.edu B)uw-beaver!wwu.edu!IAIN C)n8735053@unicorn.wwu.edu
"Gadzooks," he said lazily as he jumped into his convertible lemon

n8735053@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Iain Davidson)
in <1991Jan10.010106.6526@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> writes:

	[...]
	Everytime I logon to the local VAX/VMS 5.2 with auto-answer back
	terminal setting, the COMPUTER hangs on the point which the mainframe
	ask for the terminal type. (through escape codes)  Arrrggggghhhh!!

Suggest you examine your LOGIN.COM file in your login directory on the VMS
box and REMOVE or comment-out the line which looks like:

	$ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE

You could also change that line to be (works for me):

	$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE=VT100    (or VT102)

You could also inform your site administrator to dump 5.2 since it's quite
buggy and move up to VMS 5.3, VMS 5.3-1, VMS 5.4, or, better yet, UNIX!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (01/10/91)

In article <37818@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>n8735053@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Iain Davidson)
>in <1991Jan10.010106.6526@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu> writes:
>>Everytime I logon to the local VAX/VMS 5.2 with auto-answer back
>>terminal setting, the COMPUTER hangs on the point which the mainframe
>>ask for the terminal type. (through escape codes)  Arrrggggghhhh!!
>
>Suggest you examine your LOGIN.COM file in your login directory on the VMS
>box and REMOVE or comment-out the line which looks like:
>
>	$ SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE

This shouldn't cause the VMS system to hang.  The command eventually
times out (after 10 seconds or so,) last I checked, at least.  Are you
sure it isn't JR-Comm that's hanging when qeried?

Also, many (if not most) VMS systems do this in the system-wide
LOGIN.COM, which an average user won't be able to change.  If other
users are on this system, and they aren't having a problem, the system
manger probably won't be very receptive to changing it either!

>You could also change that line to be (works for me):
>
>	$ SET TERMINAL/DEVICE=VT100    (or VT102)

That would work, and would override whatever /INQIURE decided, but it
wouldn't be too hot if Iain uses a VT200 or VT300 when at work.

The DA (Device Attributes) response is, in my opinion, pretty basic
VT100 functionality.  I'd expect that even the most braindead emulator
would respond as some type of VT100 if asked.  Didn't we just go through
a discussion in the old c.s.a where Jack Radigan (sp?) told us that
JR-Comm passed "most of" the validation suite?  Perhaps Iain needs to
upgrade.  Jack, comments?

>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (01/11/91)

In article <2260@shodha.enet.dec.com>, ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) writes:
 [...]
>The DA (Device Attributes) response is, in my opinion, pretty basic
>VT100 functionality.  I'd expect that even the most braindead emulator
>would respond as some type of VT100 if asked.  Didn't we just go through
>a discussion in the old c.s.a where Jack Radigan (sp?) told us that
>JR-Comm passed "most of" the validation suite?  Perhaps Iain needs to
>upgrade.  Jack, comments?
>
>-hans
>  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
>  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
>  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

We are running VMS 5.4 and I have JrComm 1.01.  I just tried SET TERM/INQUIRE
and had no problem with it in either VT100 or VT102 modes.  I believe in the
C.S.A. discussion it was brought to light that JrComm 1.01 emulates everything
except 132 column mode.
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \	SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish
| \  | \  |   /		    table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.
|  \ |  \ |--<
|   \|   \|___\____/	Michael E. Cerrato -- University of Florida

Internet: sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
UUCP:	  ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet

jiihoo@niksula.hut.fi (Jari Pekka Hasu) (01/11/91)

n8735053@unicorn.cc.wwu.edu (Iain Davidson) writes:
   I'm having some trouble running JRCOMM 1.01 (?) on my
       Amiga 1000 under workbench/kickstart 1.2 with 2.5 megs of RAM.
   Any help would be appriecated, go ahead and post to the group or email.
   Thanks! !-iain

I don't know if your problem has anything to do with Workbench/Kickstart 1.2,
but I'd suggest you switch to 1.3.  A dealer or another A1000 user should
be able to provide you with the necessary 2 (well 3, if you count the Extras-
disk) disks.
     I have been using JRCOMM 1.01 in my A1000 for a couple of weeks now.  I
haven't yet decided whether I like it or not.  By the way, the newest version
of VT100 is V2.9A.  It supports zmodem transfers, which the previous version
didn't.  You might want to give it a try.

--
*                              Jari Pekka Hasu                               *
*    jiihoo@niksula.hut.fi or jiihoo@clinet.fi or jiihoo@otax.tky.hut.fi     *

wally@pallas.athenanet.com (Wally Hartshorn) (01/13/91)

In article <JIIHOO.91Jan11002840@superman.hut.fi> jiihoo@niksula.hut.fi (Jari Pekka Hasu) writes:
>     I have been using JRCOMM 1.01 in my A1000 for a couple of weeks now.  I
>haven't yet decided whether I like it or not.

If you haven't already done so, be sure you print out the manual for
JRComm and read it.  JRComm has LOTS of features, but the price for that
power is a the need to read the manual (or at least study the menus and
requestors rather thoroughly).  I've heard many people say things like,
"I don't like JRComm because it has/doesn't have XYZ", where "XYZ" is
some option which they could turn off/on, if they only knew about it.
--
Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)

"Signature needed.  Apply within."