[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] looking for an IBM 3270 emulator

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (01/12/91)

In article <jms.2244@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>A friend of mine is looking for an IBM 3270 terminal emulator to enable him
>to use his work machine from his Amiga.  Does such a thing exist?
     Tougher question than he knows, and one for which I don't have a good
answer, but I do have some more questions that, if answered, might _lead_ to
an answer.
     Q1: How is he going to communicate with his work machine? They aren't
running some kind of custom line, are they? If they are (or if they're just
sending the IBM control characters over a modem line, which implies a far,
far smarter picture of the 3270 series than I've ever seen) then he'll need
something that does EBCDIC... if they aren't, and they're going over something
resembling a standard modem, then... well, I'm not sure what to do with that,
UNLESS:
     Q2: Does he need a "3270" emulator, or an emulator which recognizes one
of the several protocals supported by the new smart IBM async terminal
controllers? This, too, is a Big Difference. Most of the async term controllers
recognize VT100s, in which case several are available; I use VT100 V2.6 (NOT!
V2.9x, which is broken and will _not_ work with the controller - calls to line
24 end up on line 23) myself, and it works just fine.
                                                        - R'ykandar.
--
          R'ykandar Korra'ti | Editor, LOW ORBIT Science and Fiction
             "I hate you, you timepiece from Hades." - Plucky Duck

lron@easy.hiam (Dwight Hubbard) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.191930.26603@ms.uky.edu>, R'ykandar Korra'ti writes:

> In article <jms.2244@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
> >A friend of mine is looking for an IBM 3270 terminal emulator to enable him
> >to use his work machine from his Amiga.  Does such a thing exist?
>      Tougher question than he knows, and one for which I don't have a good
> answer, but I do have some more questions that, if answered, might _lead_ to
> an answer.
>      Q1: How is he going to communicate with his work machine? They aren't
> running some kind of custom line, are they? If they are (or if they're just
> sending the IBM control characters over a modem line, which implies a far,
> far smarter picture of the 3270 series than I've ever seen) then he'll need
> something that does EBCDIC... if they aren't, and they're going over something
> resembling a standard modem, then... well, I'm not sure what to do with that,

The IBM 3270 terminals not only handle the display differntly than other
terminals, like the VT100, they also normally use either BySync or SDLC
serial comunications which don't work because they both use Synchrouns
serial comunications, the amiga serial port is Ansync only and will not
talk to it.  You would need something like an IBM SDLC adapter for a PC,
or a Novel PCox board (also for the PC) depending on whether it needs to
be connected on a SDLC link or as a control unit terminal off of a cluster
controler.  Problem is there isn't either a SDLC or a CUT board available
for the Amiga, however it might be possible to put one in the PC side of an
Amiga with a bridgeboard.

Is the interface a 25 pin like the Amiga serial port or is it a twisted pair
or coax cable?

> UNLESS:
>      Q2: Does he need a "3270" emulator, or an emulator which recognizes one
> of the several protocals supported by the new smart IBM async terminal
> controllers? This, too, is a Big Difference. Most of the async term controllers
> recognize VT100s, in which case several are available; I use VT100 V2.6 (NOT!
> V2.9x, which is broken and will _not_ work with the controller - calls to line
> 24 end up on line 23) myself, and it works just fine.

Some of the new cluster controllers do have ansync converter options and I
believe there is a program on a Fish disk to use one of these.  However,
the ansync conversion is an OPTION so it's worth a try but...

CDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDBDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3 Dwight Hubbard                     3 USENET  : uunet!easy!lron             3
3 Kaneohe, Hawaii                    3 GT-Power: 029/004              (lron) 3
3                                    3 CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard) 3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

stx@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (01/12/91)

In article <26266@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
> In article <jms.2244@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>>A friend of mine is looking for an IBM 3270 terminal emulator to enable him
>>to use his work machine from his Amiga.  Does such a thing exist?
>>

> Sure does.  I've got it on my BBS (see number in .sig) and I'm pretty
> sure I got it from a Fred Fish disk, since it's a .ZOO archive...
> --
> John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the seven-year plan!     ///
> Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
> "We'll always be together, together in electric dreams" Moroder & Oakey \\V//
> Sysop of The Beachside.   FIDOnet 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305  (Florida)  \X/

Could you share the name of the program with us? :)

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (01/12/91)

In article <jms.2244@vanth.UUCP>, Jim Shaffer writes:

> A friend of mine is looking for an IBM 3270 terminal emulator to enable him
> to use his work machine from his Amiga.  Does such a thing exist?

If you are looking for a board to hook up the coax from a 3274 controller,
than your friend is out of luck. I know of no board that does this.

Your only hope would be to use a bridge board, and have a Irma or Forte
board installed on the PC side. You would have to use the Forte software
(my nomination for the worse written software in history) on the
PC side of the amiga.

However, if he is looking for a program that interfaces to SIM/3270
(a VTAM application that lets ascii dialins emulate 3270's), then he
IS in luck.

I have a copy of a program called ami3270. It is basically a VT100
program that has mapped the PF keys and such to the Amiga's PF keys.

Drop me a line if you would like a copy of this program.

Dave

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan11.191930.26603@ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
>In article <jms.2244@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>>A friend of mine is looking for an IBM 3270 terminal emulator to enable him
>>to use his work machine from his Amiga.  Does such a thing exist?
>     Tougher question than he knows, and one for which I don't have a good
>answer, but I do have some more questions that, if answered, might _lead_ to
>an answer.

[questions omitted]

Well, I only see this guy about once a month at the user group meetings, so
I'll have to print out your article and show it to him.  When he initially
asked me a few months ago, before I was on the net, I was aware that 3270
was pretty strange but I didn't know any details.  He didn't provide me
with any at the time either.

--
  From the disk of:   | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "Glittering prizes and
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | endless compromises

lron@easy.hiam (Dwight Hubbard) (01/15/91)

In article <jms.2324@vanth.UUCP>, Jim Shaffer writes:

[old junk deleted]

> I believe he wanted to call in.  That must mean that they have an async
> converter in their system.  I asked him if he could just VT100 or something
> and he said probably not.  He didn't really seem to know.  I don't know
> anything about 3270 myself (other than it seems like an unnecessary load of
> junk, why not just async, eh?) so I'll have to wait 'til I see him again to
> attempt to get any more details.

Don't count on it being Async, we are using AT&T Sync modems for our remotes
(no converter, but a normal modem on the Amiga serial port wouldn't work)

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (01/15/91)

In article <jms.2324@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>In article <1882266c.ARN09c8@easy.hiam> lron@easy.hiam (Dwight Hubbard) writes:
>>
>>The IBM 3270 terminals not only handle the display differntly than other
>>terminals, like the VT100, they also normally use either BySync or SDLC

>I believe he wanted to call in.  That must mean that they have an async
>converter in their system.  I asked him if he could just VT100 or something
>and he said probably not.  He didn't really seem to know.  I don't know

I would guess that he (I forgot who the original poster was) wants to
use his Amiga to connect with IBMLink, IBM's  free developer
support network.  I use it for OS/2 information, and am forced to use
the 3270 emulator they provide for the PC.  I haven't found anyway to
get an equivalent emulator for the Amiga.  I have tried ami3270.