[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] How is the directory preserved when I am using the zoo archive

rcs91900@zach.fit.edu ( Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) (01/18/91)

Examples :

I have this directory called X and want to archive it:

files       : a b
directories : X C

        X/a
        X/b
        X/C/a

How would I go about archiving directory X so that file <a> will be in directory
C when I unarchive it

Thanks a lot Chuck Stockman

Ps. I am still looking for the BNF of the C++ language

hammond@cs.albany.edu (William F Hammond) (01/19/91)

In article <1859@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu
(Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
>I have this directory called X and want to archive it:
>        X/a
>        X/b
>        X/C/a
>
>How would I go about archiving directory X so that file <a> will be in
>directory C when I unarchive it

Tomas Rokicki, the author of AmigaTeX, wrote a very nice little utility
called "Tree", which can be found on Fish Disk 306.  "Tree" simply
lists the pathnames, relative to the current directory, of all files
in the directory tree below the current directory.  So if "X" is set
up the way you want it to be, make "X" the current directory and
then enter the commands

tree > T:x-treelist
zoo  < T:x-treelist  aI  not-in-x:xarchive.zoo

To reconstruct the the directory from the zoo archive, set your current
directory to an empty directory "Y" somewhere and enter the command

zoo x// not-in-x:xarchive.zoo

"Tree" can also be used this way with the archiver "lharc" and the
CRC-based file integrity checker "brik".

There is also a utility called "ls" that can be used instead of "tree"
for this purpose.

William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

bleys@tronsbox.xei.com (Bill Cavanaugh) (01/19/91)

In article <291@karp.albany.edu> hammond@cs.albany.edu (William F Hammond) writes:
>In article <1859@winnie.fit.edu> rcs91900@zach.fit.edu
>(Charles Stockman /ADVISOR-Clutterham) writes:
>>I have this directory called X and want to archive it:

[wants to recursively collect the directory]

>Tomas Rokicki, the author of AmigaTeX, wrote a very nice little utility
>called "Tree", which can be found on Fish Disk 306.  "Tree" simply
>lists the pathnames, relative to the current directory, of all files
>in the directory tree below the current directory.  So if "X" is set
>up the way you want it to be, make "X" the current directory and
>then enter the commands
>
>tree > T:x-treelist
>zoo  < T:x-treelist  aI  not-in-x:xarchive.zoo
>
>To reconstruct the the directory from the zoo archive, set your current
>directory to an empty directory "Y" somewhere and enter the command
>
>zoo x// not-in-x:xarchive.zoo
>
>"Tree" can also be used this way with the archiver "lharc" and the
>CRC-based file integrity checker "brik".
>
>There is also a utility called "ls" that can be used instead of "tree"
>for this purpose.

You could also use lharc.  You would then type
	lharc -r a xarchive x/#?

>William F. Hammond                   Dept. of Mathematics & Statistics
>518-442-4625                         SUNYA, Albany, NY 12222
>hammond@leah.albany.edu              wfh58@albnyvms.bitnet

 *         Bill Cavanaugh       uunet!tronsbox!bleys            *