[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] What is VIDEOTEX software??

eecwdc@cc.newcastle.edu.au (01/19/91)

	I have seen a few places that advertise that if you have VIDEOTEX
software you can access online information (such as on-line banking etc).
What is VIDEOTEX software?  I have seen it advertised for PCs (yuk) but I would
like to know if I can use a normal terminal program such as JR-Comm, etc.

(Stolen) Disclaimer:   IBM???  Is that Amiga Compatible??
	Calvin Close
	Department of Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
	University of Newcastle,  NSW,
	AUSTRALIA

	eecwdc@cc.newcastle.edu.au

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan20.004806.11155@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>
xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> [Does anyone know if the French Minitel uses the VIDEOTEX standard?]
>
> One of the joys of having different TV standards in various parts of the
> world is that you get to have different standards for everything about
> TV, too.
>
> The result is that the North American version of VIDEOTEX is a
> completely incompatible standard called NAPLPS (North American
> Presentation Level Protocol Syntax, believe it or not), which does
> exactly the same job.
>
> I can't speak for VIDEOTEX, but I have a draft of the NAPLPS standard,
> and it it so intensely arcane that it is no wonder it has been widely
> ignored and infrequently implemented; it is rife with ASCII code table
> switching commands and similar trash. There's such a thing as being
> _too_ compatible with prior work.
>
> [While I'm asking, does anybody know if Prodigy uses NAPLPS?]
>
> Kent, the man from xanth.
> <xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>
> --
> Former national graphics standards committee member.

       All right, let's talk about VIDEOTEX so ...

      As Kent said, VIDEOTEX (VTX) is a standard for doing graphics
oriented applications across telephone lines. Believe it or not, but VTX
is a huge success, with millions of people using VTX terminals. Because it
is the standard used by the French minitel ! (for those who don't know,
the minitel is a small terminal with a V.23 modem (1200/75 bauds, 7 bits),
it has been used in France for the last 10 years and used to be given free
to anybody that asked for one by the French PTT, there are now 5 millions
of minitels in France, you use these minitels to connect to the national
X.25 network using value added telephone numbers (like the 1-900 numbers
here), and you can then access thousands of services). Since the French
PTT are trying to export this technology, the rest of the world is now
earing about VIDEOTEX.

     First, let me get  it straight: there are allready VDTX emulators for
the Amiga. Second: use them, don't try to write your own software (and I
know what I'm talking about). This standard is awfull !!! It is 40
collumns based, using the 8 standard colors, with a very special char set
(normal characters, with all the accents, plus one semi-graphic char set,
and a second version of this graphic set). And it doesn't use any of the
escape codes you'd find in VT100 for example. (if you want to know more
about it, write to me).

    If you need, VTX emulation, you can buy very good emulation programs
in France (write to me if you want adresses), the only problem is that
these software do only VTX emulation, and that they are designed to work
with a minitel as modem. Yes ... these programs emulate a minitel, but are
designed to work if you have a minitel, and a small cable to have a link
between your minitel and your computer. Weird isn't it ? Wellcome to the
world of the VTX ! All that means that if you want to use these programs
with a modem, you'll have to use some tricks, and you'd better have a V.23
modem. You can't understand why unless you see and use a minitel, and
remember that in France, if V.23 modems are free, the state monopoly over
telephone equipments makes the modems cost at least twice the price you'd
pay for them in the States.

     There are also file-transfer protocols for the minitel (in fact for
V.23 modems in 7 bits). They are as specific as VTX...

    Well, I hope you've understand some of this posting ((-:), and if you
have any questions, feel free to send mail to jnmoyne@lbl.gov

       JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)