[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Uncompress for Amiga

glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matt Crowd) (01/25/91)

If someone has the Amiga version of Unix's uncompress could they please
direct me to the ftp site, or encode and email. I already have compress.

Matt Crowd, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au.

Walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Walt Sullivan) (01/28/91)

From the man page for compress (Dillon's UUCP 1.06D):

     NAME
	  compress, uncompress, zcat - compress and expand data

	  14compress		     - 14 bit version of compress,
				       takes less memory.

	  NOTE: 'uncompress' and 'zcat' are the exact same executable
	  as 'compress', just renamed.  These 16 bit versions can also
	  uncompress files compressed with 14compress

     SYYNOPSIS
	  compress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ -V ] [ -bits ] [ name ... ]
	  uncompress [ -f ] [ -v ] [ -c ] [ -V ] [ name ... ]
	  zcat [ -V ] [ name ... ]

     DESCRIPTION
	  * SPECIAL NOTE, for UUCP distributions which do not contain
	    '14compress' but which do contain 'compress', the
	    'compress' is actually the 14 bit version, not the 16
	    bit version.

--

    Walt Sullivan           walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca
                            Fido 1:163/109.4

rob@spirits.ka.sub.org (Roland Bless) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan25.100817.1639@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, Matt Crowd writes:

> If someone has the Amiga version of Unix's uncompress could they please
> direct me to the ftp site, or encode and email. I already have compress.

With compress you have uncompress, too!
Try to make a copy of "compress" named "uncompress" or use
"compress -d <filename>" to uncompress.

Roland

--
R o l a n d   B l e s s |UUCP/Internet: rob@spirits.ka.sub.org              |
Kriegsstrasse 129       |BITNET: UKG5@DKAUNI2.BITNET      FAX: +49211623818 |

mack@wizard.ruhr.de (Jochen Erwied) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan25.100817.1639@marlin.jcu.edu.au>, Matt Crowd writes:

>If someone has the Amiga version of Unix's uncompress could they please
>direct me to the ftp site, or encode and email. I already have compress.
>
>Matt Crowd, glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au.

Normally copying compress to another file named uncompress should be
sufficient. Works fine for the compress I'm using!

Jochen Erwied          | (inside Germany) mack@wizard.ruhr.de
Emil-Figge-Str. 3/005  | erwied%wastl@laura.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
W-4600 Dortmund 1, FRG | +49-231-750331 (data) +49-231-756081 (voice)
-----------------------+ "I'm not a number, I'm a FREE man" - "hahaha..."