[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Amiga UUCP Plus sysfile

mack@wizard.ruhr.de (Jochen Erwied) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan26.165347.27341@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, Mike Charlton writes:

>Has anyone found this problem?  Is there a way around it?  I need to
>feed my neighbors only certain newsgroups (or else they will get mad).
>        Thanks for any help,
>                Mike
>P.S.  some typical entries in my sys file would look like this:
>
># This works, but will batch all my groups (like things in rec)
>fun;comp,alt.test/all;F;

This should work (tried it with no problems)

># This doesn't batch anything
>fun2;comp,alt.test;F;
>
># This doesn't either
>fun3;comp,alt.test/all,!rec;F;

Perhaps fun3;comp,alt.test,!rec/all;F; would be better

># And neither does this
>fun4;comp,alt.test/comp,alt.test;F;

Should work if you enter comp or alt.test as distribution.
If everything fails, try the following:

fun5;!all,comp,alt.test/all;F;

First all groups are excluded, than the groups to be batched are included.

Jochen Erwied          | (inside Germany) mack@wizard.ruhr.de
Emil-Figge-Str. 3/005  | erwied%wastl@laura.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
W-4600 Dortmund 1, FRG | +49-231-750331 (data) +49-231-756081 (voice)
-----------------------+ "I'm not a number, I'm a FREE man" - "hahaha..."

rob@spirits.ka.sub.org (Roland Bless) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan26.165347.27341@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, Mike Charlton writes:

> we have and it described the format for the sysfile it uses.  The one
> in //\\miga UUCP Plus seems to be similar (except using ; instead of :
> for the field serparators).  Anyway, I'm having trouble with the
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right.

> distribution field.  The system won't batch any messages unless I put
> "all" in the distribution field (and if I just leave out the distribution
> field in hopes of it using the receive field, it still won't batch
> anything).  So I tried doing things like putting all,!comp in the
> distribution field and it completely ignores anything except the all.
> Has anyone found this problem?  Is there a way around it?  I need to

Yes, me too. It seems to be a bug.
My suggestion: Don't use the distribution-fields! Write BNews style sys-file
entries.
There is something wrong with the distribution fields, it doesn't work
the way like CNews does.

test;all,!local,world,comp,alt,control,to.test;F;

This will spool all articles except article with distribution "local".

testsite;local,!comp,sub,to.testsite;F;

This will spool all articles with distribution "local", but none articles
from the comp groups.

> # This works, but will batch all my groups (like things in rec)
> fun;comp,alt.test/all;F;

/all seems to be dangerous...(not for CNews, but in this buggy version..:-(()

> # This works, but will batch all my groups (like things in rec)
> fun;comp,alt.test/all;F;
>

> # This doesn't batch anything
> fun2;comp,alt.test;F;

try instead:
fun2;world,comp,alt.test;F;

> # This doesn't either
> fun3;comp,alt.test/all,!rec;F;

did you try this one?:
fun;comp,!rec,alt.test/all;F;

> # And neither does this
> fun4;comp,alt.test/comp,alt.test;F;

test;sub;F;

Batches articles in groups sub with distribution sub. Articles with no
distribution in "sub"-groups are not batched. They are batched if you
insert the "world" distribution:

test;world,sub;F;
     ^^^^^

Sorry, but you must try all possible combinations until it works...:-(((
One version should work under all circumstances:
all,!comp,!rec,!local,...

Exclude after "all" all newsgroups which should not be spooled.

I hope this'll help a little bit...

Roland
--
R o l a n d   B l e s s |UUCP/Internet: rob@spirits.ka.sub.org              |