[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT oddity?

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (01/29/91)

I've been doing some experimenting with VLT's ARexx port and have found
something curious.  The commands EMIT (which displays a string on VLT's
window) and SEND (which sends a string to whoever VLT is connected to),
only seem to recognize the first word of the string sent.  For example:

----
/*A test of VLT's ARexx command 'SEND'*/

address vlt

"send ls -l News*N"
----

results in only 'ls' being sent to the host.  Does anybody know if this is
a bug, or if it is intentional?  If it is intentional, any recommendations
on sending an entire line of text aside from using multiple 'send' commands
or doing an ASCII file transfer?  I'm using version 4.846, BTW.  Thanks.

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscf.ucsc.edu

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/29/91)

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:

>/*A test of VLT's ARexx command 'SEND'*/

>address vlt

>"send ls -l News*N"
>----

>results in only 'ls' being sent to the host.  Does anybody know if this is
>a bug, or if it is intentional?  If it is intentional, any recommendations

try

send 'ls -l News*N'
or if that don't work

send "'ls -l News*N'"

Watch out for "UPPERCASING"

C-ya
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (01/30/91)

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:

>I've been doing some experimenting with VLT's ARexx port and have found
>something curious.  The commands EMIT (which displays a string on VLT's
>window) and SEND (which sends a string to whoever VLT is connected to),
>only seem to recognize the first word of the string sent.  For example:

>/*A test of VLT's ARexx command 'SEND'*/
>address vlt
>"send ls -l News*N"
>results in only 'ls' being sent to the host.  Does anybody know if this is

Try this:

 /* ob cmt */

  address VLT
  'send "ls -l News*N"'

--
Dan Griffin               | A "critic" is a man who creates nothing and
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu | thereby feels qualified to judge the works of
                          | creative men.  There is logic in this; he is
"Crritic!" -- Estragon    | unbiased -- he hates all creative people equally.

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (01/30/91)

In article <yorkw.665162359@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:

[...]
>>"send ls -l News*N"
>>----

>>results in only 'ls' being sent to the host.  Does anybody know if this is
>>a bug, or if it is intentional?  If it is intentional, any recommendations

>try

>send 'ls -l News*N'
>or if that don't work

>send "'ls -l News*N'"

The second example works perfectly.  Thanks.

[...]