[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT trouble with Kermit uploads

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchthal) (01/29/91)

Using version V4.846 of VLT and 1.5 of XPRKermit, I uploaded
files to the Sun, with the Sun in "Remote is server" mode.
When the files got there, they were all named "VD0:xxxx" as
VD0: was the directory I uploaded them from.  This was more
an annoyance than anything else.  Is this a problem with
XPRKermit, or how VLT uses XPRKermit?  Or do I need to have
"Convert filenames" turned on for these transfers?  (I thought
that just handled case changes.)

David M. Buchthal

swalton@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.052143.5069@math.lsa.umich.edu>, dbuchtal@math (Dave Buchthal) writes:
>Using version V4.846 of VLT and 1.5 of XPRKermit, I uploaded
>files to the Sun, with the Sun in "Remote is server" mode.
>When the files got there, they were all named "VD0:xxxx" ..

This is, unfortunately, expected.  The "Convert Filename" switch
does much more than lower-case the name:  it actually strips off
all leading path information and reduces the name to a least-common
denominator form, in accord with standard Kermit procedure.
With "Convert Filename" off, the literal Amiga filename is sent
to the receiving system.

I'm open to easy-to-implement suggestions for improving this.

If you use the Change Directory command (right-amiga-D) of VLT
before sending, this won't happen.

Steve Walton, XPR Kermit co-author and maintainer