[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] CNews for the Amiga ???

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (01/29/91)

	I've heard several people lately talking about having CNEWS ported
by someone-or-another.  Is there a confirmed, solid port of CNews for the
Amiga?  I don't own or operate on a UN*X machine but I hear that CNews is
quite impressive (ie. can't tell when it's running, very fast, reliable,
flexible).  Does the Amiga version have these same characteristics?  Where
can I get it?  I'm running the GNews version of RNews by Gregory Kritsch
on a base of UUCP v1.03D (I'm installing 1.08D today) with some features
of //\\miga-UUCP+ as well (Maps).  Is the CNews implimentation as good as
Greg's News? (If anyone else has it :-)

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP or lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  |

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (01/30/91)

In a message posted on Tue Jan 29 11:13:32 1991,
clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) wrote:
CL>of //\\miga-UUCP+ as well (Maps).  Is the CNews implimentation as good as
CL>Greg's News? (If anyone else has it :-)

There are a few advantages of Each.  The Cnews port (Which is what I THINK is
supplied with 1.08D) has Compressed news, but has a problem with Cross-posted
messages. (Multiple copies going into Rejects).  With Greg's News, you don't
yet have Compressed news.

  Now which problem is handled first is yet to be seen.  I myself am likely to
continue with Greg's news processor as I more fully understand the source
and can then be of more help to Greg.  As well, Greg is working on a
Shared library for message bases with the Welmat/Fidonet developers group, so
his news software will have some interesting features.

CL> Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
CL> clemon@lemsys.UUCP or lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  |
CL> lsuc!xenitec!lemsys!clemon@cs.toronto.edu          | Choose your path.
CL> ....!{uunet}!watmath!xenitec!lemsys!clemon         |

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca