[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] UUCP Summary

jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz (John Bickers) (01/16/91)

Quoted from <18847fd1.ARN09768@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au> by dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton):
> Use ARN (by Roland Bless.) It works well. I am using v.64, and whilst it's
> still got some annoying bugs, I find it lots better than Dnews. Dnews is

    What sort of bugs?

--
*** John Bickers, TAP, NZAmigaUG.        jbickers@templar.actrix.gen.nz ***
***         "Patterns multiplying, re-direct our view" - Devo.          ***

eww@engr.ucf.edu (Mr. Eric W. Wampner) (01/26/91)

In article <188c5892.ARN034b@spirits.ka.sub.org> rob@spirits.ka.sub.org writes:
>In article <10372.tnews@templar.actrix.gen.nz>, John Bickers writes:
>
>> Quoted from <18847fd1.ARN09768@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au> by dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton):
>> > Use ARN (by Roland Bless.) It works well. I am using v.64, and whilst it's
>> > still got some annoying bugs, I find it lots better than Dnews. Dnews is

:bug report deleted:

Okay, I have UUCP1.08D by Matt Dillon, CNews ported by Frank Edwards,
now, what is ARN? Free/Shareware, Where can it be found.

Eric Wampner
eww@heretic.engr.ucf.edu

rob@spirits.ka.sub.org (Roland Bless) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan26.011702.27951@osceola.cs.ucf.edu>, Mr. Eric W. Wampner writes:

> Okay, I have UUCP1.08D by Matt Dillon, CNews ported by Frank Edwards,
> now, what is ARN? Free/Shareware, Where can it be found.

"Arn" is another USENET Newsreader for the Amiga.
It works with nearly all UUCP-Versions for the Amiga.
It is recommended to use UUCP-software that creates an activefile (like
//\\migaUUCP Plus), because Arn can use this information and will not
"scan" the newsgroup for new articles. Reading news will be much faster
then. I guess CNews supports this active-file, too.

Arn is Freeware, still copyrighted to me. If you like Arn, you can send a
contribution to me, but you need not.

Last released version was V0.67e, which can be found on ab20.larc.nasa.gov
[128.155.23.64]:
incoming/amiga/AmigaUUCP_Plus/Arn067e.LZH
or
incoming/amiga/COMM/Arn067e.LZH

//\\migaUUCP Plus is not easy to install, but should be possible for
experienced AmigaUUCP users. You can find it on ab20, too. However,
it is NOT required for using Arn.

> Eric Wampner

Good luck,
 Roland

--
R o l a n d   B l e s s |UUCP/Internet: rob@spirits.ka.sub.org              |
Kriegsstrasse 129       |BITNET: UKG5@DKAUNI2.BITNET      FAX: +49211623818 |

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (01/30/91)

In article <18986679.ARN03b1@spirits.ka.sub.org> rob@spirits.ka.sub.org (Roland Bless) writes:
>In article <1991Jan26.011702.27951@osceola.cs.ucf.edu>, Mr. Eric W. Wampner writes:
>
>> Okay, I have UUCP1.08D by Matt Dillon, CNews ported by Frank Edwards,
>> now, what is ARN? Free/Shareware, Where can it be found.
>
>"Arn" is another USENET Newsreader for the Amiga.
>It works with nearly all UUCP-Versions for the Amiga.
>It is recommended to use UUCP-software that creates an activefile (like
>//\\migaUUCP Plus), because Arn can use this information and will not
>"scan" the newsgroup for new articles. Reading news will be much faster
>then. I guess CNews supports this active-file, too.

Arn doen't work properly with UUCP 1.08.

It doesn't know about 1.08's new ability to propogate news to other
sites, and posted news gets doubly posted.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic