[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Paragon Fido BBS Software

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/31/91)

	A while back on C.S.A someone asked about FidoNet capable BBS
software for the Amiga and I commented that one should avoid Paragon
BBS by Inner Circle Software as promised support was missing.

	I would like to take a moment to retract that statement as
recently Eric Drewry has taken over the job of support from Jon Radoff
and has been pumping out new versions with most of the major bugs
quashed again making Paragon worth looking at for your FidoNet
compatable needs. As a long time Paragon owner, I must say that I like
the software and what is held promise of and only warned others away
because of the lack of support. If anyone is interested, I will post a
summary of the software's capabilities.

				--Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/31/91)

I'm pretty dern happy with Paragon as well.  No kludges like
Skyline or CNet to get it to run FIDO... :)
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (02/01/91)

In article <26599@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>I'm pretty dern happy with Paragon as well.  No kludges like
>Skyline or CNet to get it to run FIDO... :)

Yeah, but at least Skyline is original code :) (re: CNet) and is supported :)
(re: Paragon/Jon Radoff) (SEE THE SMILEY FACES!)
On a more serious note, Skyline V2.0, due out Summer '91 will have FidoNet
built-in and a 16 line capacity with no slowdown, and will run perfectly
on a 2.0 equipped Amiga 3000/25...  Due to problems with the CNet author,
Skypix/the ARexx interface is said to be being rewritten...

If you want more details, E-Mail me, please...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb1.030639.28920@wpi.WPI.EDU> jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) writes:
>Yeah, but at least Skyline is original code :) (re: CNet) and is supported :)
>(re: Paragon/Jon Radoff) (SEE THE SMILEY FACES!)

Yes, that used to be a valid point against Paragon.  However, for the past
two months, Eric Drewry has been supporting Paragon with a passion.
We've seen three updates in the past two months and Paragon is
finally achieving solid status.  (Smiley faces noticed!)

>On a more serious note, Skyline V2.0, due out Summer '91 will have FidoNet
>built-in and a 16 line capacity with no slowdown, and will run perfectly
>on a 2.0 equipped Amiga 3000/25...  Due to problems with the CNet author,
>Skypix/the ARexx interface is said to be being rewritten...

Yes, I read that message in FIDOnet: Amiga as well.  No slowdown?
Well, that's a pipe dream.  When you add tasks or users to a system,
of course you have slowdown.  It happens on a Vax 6320, it happens
on an Amiga 2000.  I can guarantee that 16 users on a stock 2000
would make molasses.  Same thing happens with the current max of
nine users in Paragon.  (Which, I might add, works already
on an A3000... :)  Oh, I'll make an educated guess that many
utilities will have to be rewritten for Skyline 2.0.  I can
say that as whenever you add lots of new features to software,
some old things get changed and the new things have to be accounted
for.  We've seen this in Paragon with the 2.1 (and with just
about any other major revision of any piece of software in
computer history...)

I hope Skyline 2.0 becomes everything the author plans it
to be.  Paragon and XenoLink need the competition.  (Heck,
even DLG Proffessional and TransAmiga need the competition.)
Competition brings out new features and bug fixes much quicker!
There is more than enough room on the 2 million Amigas for
different FIDO capable BBS software packages.
--
John  M.  Adams   --***--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu     Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga
Sysop of The Beachside, Amiga BBS, Paragon 2.085  \\V//  Makes it Possible
Fido Net 1:3612/557.   904-492-2305    (Florida)   \X/

cadill@athena.mit.edu (Christopher J Carrillo) (02/02/91)

FFFFFFF  OOOOO   RRRRRR       SSSSSS    AAA    LL       EEEEEEE
FF      OO   OO  RR   RR     SS        AA AA   LL       EE
FFFFF   OO   OO  RRRRRR       SSSSS   AA   AA  LL       EEEEEE
FF      OO   OO  RR   RR          SS  AAAAAAA  LL       EE
FF       OOOOO   RR   RR     SSSSSS   AA   AA  LLLLLLL  EEEEEEE

One Amiga MODEM 1200 RS  -  1200 baud  -  External

Fully working order
Hayes command set
Complete with full documentation & cables

Telephone line IN/OUT so it won't hog a wall jack
Flow-through serial plug so it won't hog your serial port

Asking $50

Send E-mail to cadill@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

csd0603@ux.acs.umn.edu (Dewd) (02/02/91)

(excuse the subject line...)
Can anyone tell me where I can get a hold of "uw" for Unix?

Thanx.
  Michael

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) (02/03/91)

In article <26625@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes...
>even DLG Proffessional and TransAmiga need the competition.)

I'm using TransAmiga.  Nice package.

Tell me though, what is DLG Professional?

I've never heard of it.  Is it commercial or shareware?

Finally, where may it be found? (I've never seen any advertisements
for it).

Thanks,
-Jim

-> ->Disclaimer: I'm not ashamed of what I say. <- <-
     Sorry if the above disclaimer is too long.
| Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                              |
| UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu                         |
| FIDO:     Soon!                                                      |
| BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN BBS/ParaNet ALPHA-GAMMA (sm) (9:1012/13) |
|            (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.                                    |

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb2.185401.2238@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu writes:

>Tell me though, what is DLG Professional?
>
>I've never heard of it.  Is it commercial or shareware?
>
>Finally, where may it be found? (I've never seen any advertisements
>for it).

DLG is Dialog Professional, but they had to change the name as
there's an information service already using the name
Dialog.  It's *HIGHLY* commercial, costin in excess of
$200 dollars.  It requires Trapdoor to be FIDO compatible.
I don't have a phone number availble.  Try reading an Amiga
echo and you'll see a tag line with a number.  The program
is only available from it's author.

[personal opinion follows]

I think DLG Pro sucks.  And that's not because I run
Paragon since I think other BBS programs such as TransAmiga
are quite good.  I don't like the mesage format, I don't
like not having a native mailer, I think it costs WAY too
much (especially for requiring the shareware program
Trapdoor to be FIDO compatible), and I dont care for the
attitude of the author.

[personal opinion over]
--

chris@kessner.denver.co.us (Chris Hanson) (02/03/91)

In article <1991Feb2.185401.2238@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu writes:
>Tell me though, what is DLG Professional?
>
>I've never heard of it.  Is it commercial or shareware?
>
>Finally, where may it be found? (I've never seen any advertisements
>for it).

   Here in Denver, a friend of mine is running a 3-line BBS on DLGPro. I am
rather impressed by it, as it keeps up very well on a bogged-down a1000
that has a slow HD. DLG Pro is a commercial system, in very late testing,
or possibly in release by now. It has some excellent features, a great
Full Screen Editor, nice file transfer and message systems, and is in
general a very slick and solid product.

   If you'd like to see it for yourself, it is:
   Arvada 68k System, c/o Reid Bishop
   (303)/424-6208

   Just for kicks, if you do call, tell Reid you saw the message here. I'm
curious as to how much response there may be.

>-Jim

    Chris - Xenon
(Sorry, no .sig yet, left it on the other machine... ;)

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/05/91)

In a message posted on 3 Feb 91 03:06:47 GMT,
jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) wrote:
J'A>[personal opinion follows]
J'A>
J'A>I think DLG Pro sucks.  And that's not because I run
J'A>Paragon since I think other BBS programs such as TransAmiga
J'A>are quite good.  I don't like the mesage format, I don't
J'A>like not having a native mailer, I think it costs WAY too
J'A>much (especially for requiring the shareware program
J'A>Trapdoor to be FIDO compatible), and I dont care for the
J'A>attitude of the author.
J'A>
J'A>[personal opinion over]

[second personal opinion about to spill onto the net]

  I believe the exact opposite. (Execpt for your good comments about
TransAmiga).  The message format of Dialog is quite good, and it has
been proven that the INCLUSION of the 'mailer' into Paragon has
caused more problems than it's worth (Then again, the Session-handler
for PARAGON is famous in the Fidonet-Developers community - It was so broken
that EVERY mailer author had a problem with it at one time or another).
  The cost?  Since it has not been released yet, nobody has any definite cost
figures.  All that has been said DEFINITIVELY is that it will be UNDER $200. As
far as 'requiring' Trapdoor, this is another mis-conception.  ANY front-end
mailer will work.  (While use of Welmat right now may seem restrictive due to
it's lack of ZedZap, this is a top priority to the Welmat Developers, and
will be dealt with.  At that time, there will be a Freely-distributable
Session handler to deal with.  I also think there will likely be other authors
putting their hat into the Freely-Distributable session handler 'market' as
there are other authors that Agree with 'freely distributable' but don't
agree with some of the other philosophies of the Welmat authors (Probably
expecially my "What's a Single Line" thing ;-)

  Also, I think all authors seem to have attitude problems.  I have found the
Dialog crew to be a lot more responsive to the views and needs of it's users
than the PARAGON authors.  There is even a PARAGON Hate-Mail Club ;-)

[Personal opinion mode off ;-) ]

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca