[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Commodore TCP/IP software over SLIP

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (01/29/91)

I hope this is the right group for this, I'm getting so confused these
days...

Does anyone know if the Commodore TCP/IP software can be unbundeled from
their Ethernet board?  I would like to use their software, but I doubt
I'll be running an ethernet out to my home anytime soon.  So, naturally,
I would like to use the software over a SLIP connection.

Alternatively, I am looking for TCP/IP software for the Amiga that can
run over SLIP.  I have looked at Phil Karn's SLIP software but it's
unsuitable for my needs because it's not really "amigafied."  I need
unbundled rlogin/rsh/ftp - instead of having it all crammed together
in one program that can't do more than one function at a time.  I apologize
if the Karn software has shed its PC heritage since I last looked at it.

thanks for any pointers,
--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/29/91)

In article <greg.665082363@travis>, greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:
> I hope this is the right group for this, I'm getting so confused these
> days...
>
> Does anyone know if the Commodore TCP/IP software can be unbundeled from
> their Ethernet board?  I would like to use their software, but I doubt
> I'll be running an ethernet out to my home anytime soon.  So, naturally,
> I would like to use the software over a SLIP connection.

I think the software is already unbundled.  You have to buy both the board
_and_ the software.  They have separate part numbers.  I could be wrong, but
I just looked at the price list last night and I think that's what it said.
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|                                                                          |
|   "Everybody has to deviate from the norm...."                           |
|                                  - Rush                                  |
|   "I guess that makes me a deviant!"                                     |
|                                  - Me!                                   |
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------`

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (01/30/91)

In article <2244@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>In article <greg.665082363@travis>, greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:
>> I hope this is the right group for this, I'm getting so confused these
>> days...
>>
>> Does anyone know if the Commodore TCP/IP software can be unbundeled from
>> their Ethernet board?  I would like to use their software, but I doubt
>> I'll be running an ethernet out to my home anytime soon.  So, naturally,
>> I would like to use the software over a SLIP connection.
>
>I think the software is already unbundled.  You have to buy both the board
>_and_ the software.  They have separate part numbers.  I could be wrong, but
>I just looked at the price list last night and I think that's what it said.

Correct. The software is part number AS225 and the Ethernet board is
number A2065. They are not bundled together.

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "We defy augury."                                                   |

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (02/06/91)

Could somebody please take some time to explain what TCP/IP, SLIP and the other
weird "datacomm" terminology stands for.

I really could use the help.
Thanks
Bin