[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] JRComm -- Text attributes?

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (02/05/91)

Well, this weekend I got the latest and greatest JRComm (1.01?) up an running
on my machine.  Nice program, but I couldn't find a way to get text
attributes (underline, boldface, etc) to work in vt100 or vt102 modes.  I
call two Unix systems and those things are pretty important to me.  I threw
the display into hex mode and saw that the systems were indeed sending the
codes, but JRComm wasn't reacting.  Am I missing something ridiculously
simple here, or is the program really crippled?

Also, is it just me or is the scrolling abysmal?  I've tried every
combination of "optimized" and "smooth" (both set, neither set, etc.) and
couldn't find a way to make it less jerky without taking a day and a half (in
smooth mode) to scroll up a page.  With smooth set it's just too damn slow,
without it it flickers worse than any interlace screen I've ever seen.  And
this is NOT in interlace!  I tried reducing the number of bitplanes but to no
avail.  Again, am I missing something?

If I can get around these two limitations I'll consider sending in the
shareware fee and getting a registered version.  Until then, I'll just keep
on using my aging version of ATalk III.

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than    |        Steven King

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (02/05/91)

In article <4639@orchid3.UUCP> king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:
>Well, this weekend I got the latest and greatest JRComm (1.01?) up an running
>on my machine.  Nice program, but I couldn't find a way to get text
>attributes (underline, boldface, etc) to work in vt100 or vt102 modes.
>[...]  Am I missing something ridiculously
>simple here, or is the program really crippled?

Do you have the fonts included with JR-Comm in your FONTS: directory?
I believe that these are required to get special text stuff (like reverse video
and underlining).  I've got them in my FONTS: directory, and everything works
fine.

>Also, is it just me or is the scrolling abysmal?  I've tried every

Hmm.  You must have something wrong.  I'm using JR-Comm in VT100 mode right
now (interlace screen, 2 colors), and it scrolls fine.

>Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than    |        Steven King
>not having any opinions at all.                    |     Motorola Cellular
>         (Georg Christoph Lichtenberg [1742-1799]) |   ...uunet!motcid!king

Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
dave@cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (02/06/91)

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) writes:

>Well, this weekend I got the latest and greatest JRComm (1.01?) up an running
>on my machine.  Nice program, but I couldn't find a way to get text
>attributes (underline, boldface, etc) to work in vt100 or vt102 modes.  I
>call two Unix systems and those things are pretty important to me.  I threw
>the display into hex mode and saw that the systems were indeed sending the
>codes, but JRComm wasn't reacting.  Am I missing something ridiculously
>simple here, or is the program really crippled?

  The annoyance screen is the *only* difference between the evaluation and
registered versions.  As for text attributes, you need to install the vtxx
series of fonts from the fonts.lzh archive that *should* have been included
with the evaluation version...

>Also, is it just me or is the scrolling abysmal?  I've tried every
>combination of "optimized" and "smooth" (both set, neither set, etc.) and
>couldn't find a way to make it less jerky without taking a day and a half (in
>smooth mode) to scroll up a page.  With smooth set it's just too damn slow,
>without it it flickers worse than any interlace screen I've ever seen.  And
>this is NOT in interlace!  I tried reducing the number of bitplanes but to no
>avail.  Again, am I missing something?

  Smooth scroll is quite the bit mover, the default screen is a 3 bitplane
job that has 48k of data to shuffle per scroll operation.  In smooth scroll
it actually does 4 two line scrolls per, that's alot of data to move.  The
most effiecient way to use it is to have smooth scroll off and optimized
scroll on.  What the optimization does is to only scroll non-empty bitplanes
by the longest text line on the display.

  If the scroll still looks painfully slow it's probably due to a lack of
true fast ram in the system, in that case, you may want to use a 4 color
screen.  You'll lose high blinking characters though.

  -jack-