[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Supra zi vs. USRobotics HST Dual Standard

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (02/05/91)

   I'm using a Supra zi internal modem (2400 baud) in my A3000, and my
FidoNet boss just aquired a HST dual standard - the new model that does
V.32 at 14.400 baud.

   At times, I connect fine to his BinkleyTerm 2.40 using TrapDoor 1.50.
On other days, I get lots of errors, falling back to his Opus, Drats at the
Yohoo session, and hordes of ZedZap transmission errors.
   Calling up directly with JRComm reveals LOTS of false characters being
created, my own commands to his BBS practically drowning in the garbage -
my Boss was chocked, when he saw this!

   I have heard that the USR modems are quite strict about having the
correct baud rate, and it appears to me that this migth be the cause of the
problem, that is, the Supra may be slightly off it's specs.

   Anyone out there with experience with the Supra zi and the _new_ USR DS
modem?
   Can my Supra be adjusted?

                                                      -Henrik
| Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data | If the Doors of Perception where cleansed, |
| ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!  | Man would see Reality as it is - Infinite. |
\______cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen___|_________________________________W. Blake___/

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (02/06/91)

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) writes:

>   I'm using a Supra zi internal modem (2400 baud) in my A3000, and my
>FidoNet boss just aquired a HST dual standard - the new model that does
>V.32 at 14.400 baud.

>   Calling up directly with JRComm reveals LOTS of false characters being
>created, my own commands to his BBS practically drowning in the garbage -
>my Boss was chocked, when he saw this!

>   I have heard that the USR modems are quite strict about having the
>correct baud rate, and it appears to me that this migth be the cause of the
>problem, that is, the Supra may be slightly off it's specs.

  When the HST was first upped to 14.4kbps there was alot of garbage probs
with some low-end 2400bps modems, but that was fixed quite some time ago.
Is your friend sure that the HST/DS he has a "fresh" one?  I'd suggest a
call to USR cust. svc. for assistence.

  -jack-