[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] What is SNAP?

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (02/06/91)

SNAP lives in my CMD directory, having been part of the system when
I bought it from its previous owner.  The trouble is, I don't know
how it works or what it does!  Now that the discussion about JR-Comm
has made mention of using SNAP, I think that I should probably know
more about it.

Ergo, What is SNAP and how does it work?

Thanks a bunch, etc, etc.

-----
Keith Ellsworth
Another happy user of JR-Comm.

Public Broadcasting Service

AKA: KELLSWORTH@PBS.ORG

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (02/07/91)

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) writes:

>Ergo, What is SNAP and how does it work?

SNAP is a very handy utility that saves text to the clipboard.device
so it can be pasted back into another window/program.  Snap also
has the ability to save it as an IFF file.  If snap is running, try
holding down the left Amiga key and dragging a window around some text
with the mouse.  It operates in rectangle, word, or line mode by starting
your 'window' with one, two or three clicks.  LAmiga-I does the insert.
A neat thing about this is that it can interact with other programs
that use the clipboard.  For example, highlight some text on your
bridgeboard side with the mouse, and then use SNAP to paste it back into
your Amiga side.  It is on a Fish disk, FF326 being the most recent.  If
you have SNAP you should also have the docs.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

dac@prolix.ccadfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb6.060745.11611@pbs.org>, Video Magician writes:

> SNAP lives in my CMD directory, having been part of the system when
> I bought it from its previous owner.  The trouble is, I don't know
> how it works or what it does!  Now that the discussion about JR-Comm
> has made mention of using SNAP, I think that I should probably know
> more about it.
>
> Ergo, What is SNAP and how does it work?

Snap is KEEN. Snap lets you do this:

(Extract of my current CLI screen)

AUST_AMIGA           :     4
PENPAL               :     1

Total Msgs Exported :    16 in   13 secs
Writing Fexport session log file

=Fex= Complete
2.RAM DISK: Dac> trap
2.RAM DISK: Dac> cd fh1:quarterback
2.Work:quarterback Dac> dir
  Print Release-Notes              printfiles
  Quarterback                      Release-Notes
  Restoration Report for DACCLES
2.Work:quarterback Dac> quarterback
2.Work:quarterback Dac> dm
2.Work:quarterback Dac>

--- end extract ----------------

That is to say, Snap lets you grab a bunch of text characters, and shove them
into (almost) any application. Like from CLI into my CED session. You can
also grab graphics and save them as IFF images (cute for grabbing text as a
bitmap, and then manipulating it in a paint program).

Here's info from the POSTER part of SNAP.LZH

Sender: tadguy@cs.odu.edu

Submitted-by: micke@slaka.sirius.se (Mikael Karlsson)
Posting-number: Volume 90, Issue 067
Archive-name: util/snap-1.4/part01

Snap is the perfect tool for the lazy typer. Isn't it irritating when you
look at something on the screen and think: "That is what I'm going to type."?
What if you could just point at it and get the computer to type it for you?
That's where Snap comes to the rescue.  Another thing that irritates me is
that I'm sitting in front of THE computer and still I must have pen and paper
available to scribble down something from the screen that I know I will need
later. Snap provides a solution to that problem also. Just frame it and Snap
creates a window with a copy of the screen contents. Perfect for snapping
text from later on.

Important changes:

o You can't use the new Snap to turn off the old version.
o Delays are now specified in milliseconds.
o You can now change parameters without removing and re-installing Snap.
o Use 'snap -Q'/'snap quit' to remove Snap.

--
Mail submissions (sources or binaries) to <amiga@cs.odu.edu>.
Mail comments to the moderator at <amiga-request@cs.odu.edu>.

> Keith Ellsworth

Dac
--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.OZ.AU       . .  I am.