[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Dnet Questions

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (02/07/91)

In article <4308@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) writes:
>   What I was wondering is this, 1) is 2.13 (from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov) the
>latest version ,and 2) does the fabled NFS-handler work?  It was under
>construction last time I heard.  Also, I've seen references to dnet.device, is
>this something I can use in place of serial.device in VLT, and does it work?

    (1) yes

    (2) sorta -- two problems.  First, there is a word ordering problem bug
	so it only works if the two machines (amiga and unix machine)
	use the same word ordering

	The second problem is that it cannot handle more than 20
	locks+open_files

    All in all, it is better to use putfiles or getfiles to transfer
    information.

>  Okay, so I have some more questions, will DNet allow me to have multiple
>shells on the UNIX side running in windows on the Amiga?  (Last question,

    Yes, you can run multiple FTERMs on the amiga and thus get multiple
    csh's.

>I promise!) What is the minimum number of pins needed (to DNet to another
>Amiga) and how much cable can I run between the two stations?

    A three wire cable (2,3,7) works just fine if you remember to turn
    off CD handling (-h0 option), but if you can manage it you should
    connect CD as well (forgot which pin that is)

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil) (02/09/91)

From article <dillon.2799@overload.Berkeley.CA.US>, by dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon):
> In article <4308@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> bheil@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Heil)

 [My question's and Matt's answers deleted]

> --
>
>     Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
>     891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
>     Berkeley, Ca. 94708
>     USA

Wow! Now that's service!  Thanks Matt.  I'll give a try this weekend to get it
set up and post if it works (okay, more realistically I'll post if it *doesn't*
work!).

Thanks also to everybody else who responded!
--
Brian Heil                           )              University of Iowa
bheil@scout-po.biz.uiowa.edu         (      College of Business Administration