[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] UUCP 1.08DR2

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (01/29/91)

Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?  I had terrible
problems with both GETTY and UUCICO.  I ended up switching back to the 1.06DB
revision of these two programs and now my system can connect to other UNIX
systems again.   I couldn't get a connection with the new versions of these
two programs and the problem manifested itself after the initial modem
connection when trying to handshake with L.sys.

We could get the modems to connect and then the systems would just sit.
Nothing was changed in my L.sys for outgoing calls.  Nothing was changed for
incomming calls except the two programs...very strange.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |       America Online: Graphics3d
FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com           |           Compuserve: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (01/30/91)

In article <7263@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAd
>Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?
>
>We could get the modems to connect and then the systems would just sit.
>Nothing was changed in my L.sys for outgoing calls.  Nothing was changed for
>incomming calls except the two programs...very strange.

We found a similar problem here. Manual calling up showed that the new Getty
has parity problems on the incoming characters. I've switch back to the
old Getty. The new uucico seems to have better error handling than the old,
some I'm using it. Did you get your copy before or after a major fix to
uucico was put in (I don't know what the fix was)?

My hearty thanks to Matt Dillon for his work and generosity.

--
Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
	    CIS: 74007,1165

lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) (01/31/91)

> Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?

Yes.  A rather unexpected one.  I call "uupoll sysname" from crontab.
If uucico completes the conversation normally, it does not run uuxqt.
If I interrupt it by switching off the modem while it's talking, it
does run uuxqt.  One might expect odd behavior in the error case,
but the error case behavior is correct, while the normal case behavior
is incorrect.  Hmm.

It also isn't accepting dial-in connections.  I haven't had time to
turn on debugging to look at this one.  I *did* carefully avoid
updating l:uuser-handler when I upgraded (from 1.03D!), since the docs
say it is messed for now.

I've sent off a request to "ftpmail" to fetch the source from ab20
so I can try to figure it out myself, but I thought I'd mention it
here as well.

    Jeff Van Epps    amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.com
                     lordbah@cup.portal.com
                     sun!portal!cup.portal.com!lordbah

doc@brewing.cts.com (Mitch Evans) (01/31/91)

In article <7263@crash.cts.com>, Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin writes:

> Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?  I had terrible
> problems with both GETTY and UUCICO.	I ended up switching back to the 1.06DB
> revision of these two programs and now my system can connect to other UNIX
> systems again.   I couldn't get a connection with the new versions of these
> two programs and the problem manifested itself after the initial modem
> connection when trying to handshake with L.sys.
>
> We could get the modems to connect and then the systems would just sit.
> Nothing was changed in my L.sys for outgoing calls.  Nothing was changed for
> incomming calls except the two programs...very strange.
>
> -- Bob
> ______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________
>
>     UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl	    |	      Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
> Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com	    |	    America Online: Graphics3d
> FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com	    |		Compuserve: RIP
> _________							     ___________
>	    Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue	Piscataway, NJ 08854

Howdy!

    my UUCP 1.08d has the same problem.  I haven't seen it connect yet!
    Luckily, my news feed calls me when it has stuff for me, and this
    works.

					    Mitch

=  PATH: ...!crash!brewing!doc		US MAIL: Mitchell M. Evans	    =
=						 12373 Calle Albara #5	    =
=						 EL Cajon, CA  92019	    =
= "I ran out of gas!  I got a flat tire!  I locked my keys in the car!      =
= An old friend came in from out of town!  I lost my tux at the 	    =
= cleaners!  Someone stole my car!  There was an earthquake!  A terrible    =
= flood!  Locusts!  It wasn't my FAULT!"  -- Blues Brothers                 =

david@starsoft.UUCP (Dave Lowrey) (02/01/91)

In article <9101311440.AA07573@bisco.kodak.COM> amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) writes:
>> Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?
>
>Yes.  A rather unexpected one.  I call "uupoll sysname" from crontab.
>If uucico completes the conversation normally, it does not run uuxqt.
>If I interrupt it by switching off the modem while it's talking, it
>does run uuxqt.  One might expect odd behavior in the error case,
>but the error case behavior is correct, while the normal case behavior
>is incorrect.  Hmm.

This is a known bug with UUCP 1.08D. Matt has fixed it, and will be
distributing the updated version soon.

>It also isn't accepting dial-in connections.  I haven't had time to
>turn on debugging to look at this one.  I *did* carefully avoid
>updating l:uuser-handler when I upgraded (from 1.03D!), since the docs
>say it is messed for now.

uuser isn't BAD, the new getty won't work with uuser yet.

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft or {uhnix1,lobster}!starsoft!david
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

Jay@deepthot.UUCP (Jay Denebeim) (02/02/91)

In article <189b9b99.ARN0475@brewing.cts.com> doc@brewing.cts.com (Mitch Evans) writes:
>In article <7263@crash.cts.com>, Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin writes:
>
>> Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?  I had terrible
>>
>>     UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl        |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
>> Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com      |       America Online: Graphics3d
>> FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com          |           Compuserve: RIP
>
>    my UUCP 1.08d has the same problem.  I haven't seen it connect yet!
>=  PATH: ...!crash!brewing!doc         US MAIL: Mitchell M. Evans          =

Me too, however I have a theory.  A friend of mine was trying to
dial me up with 1.08, he wasn't able to connect to the 1.08 on my
system.  I noticed that the system dialed through and got to UUCICO
on my end.  Turned on debugging, and I noticed that UUCP initial
handshake was ^P and some other jazz.  I figured that it was sending
it too soon.

Anyway, I don't know if that was what it was, but adding "" \d to the
end of the send/response sequence in the L.sys file fixed the problem
for us.  He's dialing up and getting fed with no problem now.

--

 |_o_o|\\
 ======          BBS:(919)-460-7430      VOICE:(919)-460-6934

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAdmin) (02/03/91)

In article <7263@crash.cts.com>> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury, SysAd
>>Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?
>>
>>We could get the modems to connect and then the systems would just sit.
>>Nothing was changed in my L.sys for outgoing calls.  Nothing was changed for
>>incomming calls except the two programs...very strange.
>
>We found a similar problem here. Manual calling up showed that the new Getty
>has parity problems on the incoming characters. I've switch back to the
>old Getty. The new uucico seems to have better error handling than the old,
>some I'm using it. Did you get your copy before or after a major fix to
>uucico was put in (I don't know what the fix was)?
>
>My hearty thanks to Matt Dillon for his work and generosity.

Well, it seems there is also some other strangeness.  Someone told me that
they had to put \r behind all the send commands in the l.sys for the system
to actually run throught the script...strange.  Does anyone out there *KNOW*
what the problems are with UUCP 1.08DR2?

-- Bob

______ Pro-Graphics BBS  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!" ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |       PC-Pursuitable: NJNBR
FastInet: bobl@bobsbox.rent.com           |       America Online: Graphics3d
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (02/04/91)

In article <9101311440.AA07573@bisco.kodak.COM> amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) writes:
>> Is anyone else having problems with this new version of UUCP?
>
>Yes.  A rather unexpected one.  I call "uupoll sysname" from crontab.
>If uucico completes the conversation normally, it does not run uuxqt.
>If I interrupt it by switching off the modem while it's talking, it
>does run uuxqt.  One might expect odd behavior in the error case,
>but the error case behavior is correct, while the normal case behavior
>is incorrect.	Hmm.

Haven't seen this one yet...  I hope not to! :-)  (Yeah, and tomorrow
I'll boot up and find lots of queued files still... :-))  What I *HAVE*
seen is that if you have one UUCICO running, and dcron attempts to
start another one (I have it run once an hour, and sometimes the
connection goes over 1hr) it will lock up BOTH uucico's and the system
will go belly-up!  Really annoying...

>It also isn't accepting dial-in connections.  I haven't had time to
>turn on debugging to look at this one.  I *did* carefully avoid
>updating l:uuser-handler when I upgraded (from 1.03D!), since the docs
>say it is messed for now.

I have the source, but for some reason UUCICO fails to compile properly
with Lattice.  I have 5.02, so maybe a problem there?  Don't have DICE
to work with, so haven't tried it.

>I've sent off a request to "ftpmail" to fetch the source from ab20
>so I can try to figure it out myself, but I thought I'd mention it
>here as well.

>    Jeff Van Epps    amusing!lordbah@bisco.kodak.com
>		      lordbah@cup.portal.com
>		      sun!portal!cup.portal.com!lordbah
>#! rnews 1126
    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

lordbah@bisco.kodak.COM (Lord Bah) (02/05/91)

One more oddity.  Running 1.03D, I had no problem running Access 1.42
while Getty was running.  If I try that with 1.08D, guru city.  If
this is another known problem then I apologize for taking up
net.space-and-time, but I don't know the answer.

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (02/10/91)

>In article <cpc.2974@czaeap.UUCP> cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) writes:
>
>I'll boot up and find lots of queued files still... :-))  What I *HAVE*
>seen is that if you have one UUCICO running, and dcron attempts to
>start another one (I have it run once an hour, and sometimes the
>connection goes over 1hr) it will lock up BOTH uucico's and the system
>will go belly-up!  Really annoying...
>    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc

I have seen this problem also.  amigash calls out to 3 or 4 systems on
a regular basis and the one that is my main news feed quite often goes
for a couple of hours (last night I received about 4 megs worth of stuff).

Anyway, I finally got tired of the hanging problems and wrote a script
that has helped a LOT.  Here it is:

.KEY system/a,serunit/a

if not exists t:uucp.lck
 copy s:uucp.lck t:
 uucp:c/uucico -U <serunit> -s<system>
 delete t:uucp.lck
endif

I threw in the unit number as I have an A2232 board and two modems.  The
Telebit is set to always call out using PEP but I have one system I
call occasionally that only has a 2400 baud modem.  This allows me to
call all the systems I have to with out mucking with the default serial
port setting in preferences.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot