[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Everybody's been...

dlnghrst@telstr.UUCP (David Langhorst) (02/09/91)

...talking about JRComm...and how great it is...but, in my opinion(yes,
another opinion) it is a bogged-down-with-strange-and-unuseful-features kinda
program...after using both JRComm (several versions including the latest) and
NComm, I'd ahve to say (and do say) that NComm is the better of the
two...scripts...all the protocols you would want (no ASCII or Punter...what a
loss)...and multitasks like it's not even there, not to mention leave pleanty
on memory on my 1Meg system...it's fast and so far bug-free (I swear)...the
transfers blaze (w/ XPR libs)...the color and the text move at the same time
(no white flashing)...there is not one unwarented feature in this program...if
you are using JRComm and haven't tried NComm, I suggest a visit to your local
DL areas...and best of all, there's no shareware fee...no guilt screens...they
don't even ask for you to send money in the docs (which, BTW, are quite
good)...

Ivan D Terrible
aka David Langhorst (dlnghrst)

fmcphers@geech.ai.mit.edu (frank mcpherson) (02/10/91)

I agree with you for the most part on the functionality of NComm.  However,
there are certain features which aren't described well in the documentation.
Also, the colour does blink when you're running a many-colour display.
Every amiga term I've seen has this problem, but I don't mind it much, 'cause
I don't want to read my mail in any more than two colours, anyway.  <Grin>

--
-- Frank McPherson     INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (02/10/91)

dlnghrst@telstr.UUCP (David Langhorst) writes:

>NComm, I'd ahve to say (and do say) that NComm is the better of the
>two...scripts...all the protocols you would want (no ASCII or Punter...what a

I also loved NComm, but it has a few problems.  The main one being that
it wouldn't start a Zmodem upload half the time.  It would send the
filename, but never start the data trnsfer.  Downloads were always fine.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

amk@zikzak.in-berlin.de (Andreas M. Kirchwitz) (02/10/91)

In article <dlnghrst.0053@telstr.UUCP>, David Langhorst writes:

> ...talking about JRComm...and how great it is...but, in my opinion(yes,
> another opinion) it is a bogged-down-with-strange-and-unuseful-features kinda
> program...

Of course, some features may be unnecessary - e.g. a 'vt100' emulation *and*
a 'vt102' emulation, although vt100 is a subset of vt102.

> NComm, I'd ahve to say (and do say) that NComm is the better of the
> two...scripts...all the protocols you would want (no ASCII or Punter...what a
> loss)

I think, you've never tried Z-Modem protocol (Ncomm's XPR -vs- JRcomm's
internal) with a USR HST oder USR V.32bis modem.  JRcomm's is better, 'cause
it's double as fast as Ncomm's protocol.

> [...]  it's fast and so far bug-free (I swear)...the
> transfers blaze (w/ XPR libs)...

Ncomm is fast?  You must have a 300 bps modem :-) :-) :-)
I recommend to test both programs with 9600 bps or more.
(JRcomm seems to use graphics.library directly while Ncomm is
 just hanging around with the "slow-speed" console.device)

Unfortunately  Ncomm's ANSI/VT100/VT102-Emulation (all in one, good idea)
is not this, what I call good (or perfect), although we send a list of
vt102 codes to the author ('cause he hasn't had one), he wasn't able to
implement the missing features :-(
JRcomm's is not perfect, too - but it's fairly well.

        Bye, Andreas
--
  Andreas M. Kirchwitz, Seesener Str. 69, D-1000 Berlin 31, FRG, +49 30 873376
 /   __                      Domain: amk@zikzak.in-berlin.de, IRC-Nick: 'bonzo'

		"Ich liebe es, wenn ein Plan funktioniert." -- Hannibal (A-Team)