[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] FTP stuff

hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu (02/09/91)

I recently tried to access the ftp site ab20.larc.nasa.gov and when it
asked me for a username, I didn't know what to do.  I tried 'anonymous' and
'newuser' as well as 'guest' apparently I need to register for an account.
Is this correct?  If so, how do I do it?  Also, will somebody PLEASE post a
list of amiga ftp sites?

Thanks in adavance,
-H

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (02/09/91)

In article <4NTXSAD@cs.swarthmore.edu>, hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu writes...

>I recently tried to access the ftp site ab20.larc.nasa.gov and when it
>asked me for a username, I didn't know what to do.  I tried 'anonymous' and
>'newuser' as well as 'guest' apparently I need to register for an account.
Try putting anonymous in quotes, "anonymous".  It has to be lower case and
your host may be translating it to upper case.

	John

hyy94@campus.swarthmore.edu in <4NTXSAD@cs.swarthmore.edu> writes:

	I recently tried to access the ftp site ab20.larc.nasa.gov and when it
	asked me for a username, I didn't know what to do.  I tried
	'anonymous' and 'newuser' as well as 'guest' apparently I need to
	register for an account.  Is this correct?  If so, how do I do it?
	[...]

Most sites want to see "ftp" as the anonymous login for ftp, and your username
as the password; some, such as simtel-20, want "anonymous" as the login name
and your username as the password.  The choice depends on what "ftpd" (or its
equivalent) is running on the specific system and I haven't found any way to
determine which in advance of an actual attempt.  The password entry for an
anonymous ftp login is simply copied to a logfile and does not imply any
required pre-registration.

WEBB3840@splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu (Stephen J. Webb) (02/11/91)

Date sent:  10-FEB-1991 14:16:02

>abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov needs "anonymous" for the login,
>What's ab20.larc.nasa.gov ? Never been there..

ab20.larc.nasa.gov is the new name for abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov.  It also
accepts anonymous logins.

>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
> IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:
>there's only one thing to do...
>Give him a Boot to the head... Then repeat .... Then repeat...

= Stephen J. Webb, Poor But Hardworking Computer Science Undergraduate	=
=     who is spending a great deal of time at SUNY at Plattsburgh	=
= Snail:  26 Williams St.	= BITNET: WEBB3840@SNYPLAVA.BITNET	=
=	  Plattsburgh, N.Y.	= PLANET: SPLAVA::WEBB3840		=
=	  12901			= InterNet:				=
=				=    WEBB3840@Splava.cc.plattsburgh.edu	=
=	Magic is real, unless explictly declared integer		=

fmcphers@pogo.ai.mit.edu (frank mcpherson) (02/11/91)

yorkw writes:
| abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov needs "anonymous" for the login,
| What's ab20.larc.nasa.gov ? Never been there..

Both of them have the numerical address 128.155.23.64.  If you ftp there, you
will notice that it now identifies itself as the ab20 ftp site, instead of
the abcfd20 ftp site.

--
-- Frank McPherson     INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (02/12/91)

In article <yorkw.666208000@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
> abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov needs "anonymous" for the login,
> What's ab20.larc.nasa.gov ? Never been there..

Yes you have -- it's what used to be abcfd20.  It changed names around
new-years (with a suitable announcement in comp.sys.amiga...)

	...tad