[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Yes, C News works and is available!

crash@ckctpa.UUCP (Frank J. Edwards) (02/03/91)

I've seen numerous requests for C News information -- here it is:

	1.	It is C News, patchdate 15-Dec-90.  Original Un*x code
		written primarily by Henry Spencer & Geoff Collyer.  The
		news code which Matt Dillon is providing _IS_NOT_ C News
		and should not be confused with same.

	2.	It is available under AmigaDOS as both binaries and source.
		The binaries were compiled by Manx 5.0b -- compiling the
		source under SAS/C is being worked on as we speak (write?).

	3.	The binaries are ~270K of zoo files.  The source is ~600K.
		(I don't remember the exact figures.)

	4.	Larry Rosenman is my primary beta tester.  Others include
		Jeff Ross, Tom Limoncelli, and Mike Oliphant.  (To those
		I haven't spoken with recently:  I presume everything's
		working... ;-)

	5.	Larry Rosenman has indicated that he uploaded the files to
		BIX and asked that someone there copy it to abcfd20, for
		those with ftp access.

	6.	Fred Fish will receive a complete copy of the source and
		binaries this week.  The news reader, AmiRN, is shareware
		and source is not included (but Larry will tell you that
		bugs are fixed promptly -- right Larry?  :-).

	7.	If you modify the source to C News, please, please, PLEASE,
		provide me a copy of those changes.  Either as diffs against
		the originals, or a complete copy of the file.  I am currently
		negotiating with Henry the possibility of including my Amiga
		porting changes into the Un*x C News code distributed by him.

I want to stress that this is a complete port of the Un*x C News package.
All functionality of the "sys" file, the "active" file, and the "history*"
file is included.  Unfortunately, while the major control messages are
implemented (including ihave/sendme), there are a few which are not (yet).
These are: SENDSYS, VERSION, and SENDUNAME.  The port uses the AmigaDOS
hard links if you're running 2.0, otherwise each article _only_ shows up
in the first newsgroup given on the Newsgroup: line.  (In the [near?]
future, the Xref: header will be parsed to locate other cross-postings.)

The news reader provides most functions required of a news reader, like
posting followups, replying via email, controlling group subscriptions,
and various other niceties.

All operations of C News are independent of the transport package used,
i.e. the version of UUCP you're using.  For instance, I run it on top
of UUPC (my hacked version) and most of my beta testers use UUCP 1.07D
from Matt (of course, the rnews program has to be replaced with mine).

Private to eww@engr.ucf.edu:
	This address was not grokked by uunet.  Perhaps you have another?
	I attempted to send a news reader (twice) and both addresses have
	bounced my mail.
--
Frank J. Edwards		|  "I did make up my own mind -- there
2677 Arjay Court		|   simply WASN'T ANY OTHER choice!"

rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) (02/07/91)

In a message posted on 3 Feb 91 07:50:26 GMT,
crash@ckctpa.UUCP (Frank J. Edwards) wrote:
FJE>I want to stress that this is a complete port of the Un*x C News package.
FJE>All functionality of the "sys" file, the "active" file, and the "history*"

Question: Could you squish this roomer (Or confirm it) for me.

  I have heard that this port of Cnews takes some of the Scripts that Cnews uses
for setting 'policy' and encodes them into C. While some feel this is a good
idea, I often hit a lot of cases where I would like to easily change things.
Does this port use C?  Does it use scripts.   If it does use Scripts, what
type (REXX would be interesting - Use a REXX macro, as REXX seems to be great
at handling strings..)

  When it does get sent to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, please let us know, as that
would be the easiest (And cheapest on the net) method to get it.

FJE>Frank J. Edwards		|  "I did make up my own mind -- there
FJE>2677 Arjay Court		|   simply WASN'T ANY OTHER choice!"
FJE>Palm Harbor, FL  34684-4504	|		-- Me
FJE>Phone (813) 786-3675 (voice)	|    Only Amiga Makes It Possible...

---
  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca

crash@ckctpa.UUCP (Frank J. Edwards) (02/12/91)

In article <59553.665931121@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca> rwm@atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca (Russell McOrmond) writes:

>Question: Could you squish this roomer (Or confirm it) for me.
>
>  I have heard that this port of Cnews takes some of the Scripts that Cnews uses
>for setting 'policy' and encodes them into C. While some feel this is a good
>idea, I often hit a lot of cases where I would like to easily change things.
>Does this port use C?  Does it use scripts.   If it does use Scripts, what
>type (REXX would be interesting - Use a REXX macro, as REXX seems to be great
>at handling strings..)

Yes, this is true -- some of the scripts have been rewritten in C.  While
I also do not like the idea, it was necessary based on the functionality
provided on a stock Amiga, ie. what's in the C: directory.  Of course,
I do not claim to be a guru with the Amiga's Execute language (?) as my
forte' is Unix/ksh.

There are two control messages coded in C:  checkgroups, and newgroup.
I could not find any easy way out of it.  And I'm not proficient in
ARexx so it may be awhile before the scripts are converted to it.
Especially since it'd be extra work -- the folks without ARexx couldn't
use the scripts...

>  When it does get sent to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, please let us know, as that
>would be the easiest (And cheapest on the net) method to get it.

It's going to Fred Fish tomorrow (I have my fingers crossed as I say
this 'cuz I've got 4-5 hours of "real, money-making" work to do yet :-)

>  Opinions expressed in this message are my Own. I represent nobody else.
>  Russell McOrmond   rwm@Atronx.OCUnix.On.Ca   {tigris,alzabo,...}!atronx!rwm
>  FidoNet 1:163/109  Net Support: (613) 230-2282
>  Amiga-Fidonet Support  1:1/109       Gateway for .Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca

Hmmm.  You represent nobody else.  I represent nobody at all.  That
means that nobody has two representatives so far.  Gee, it could be a state!
(Isn't politics fun!)