[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Internet Protocols

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (02/12/91)

In article <1383@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:
>Could somebody please take some time to explain what TCP/IP, SLIP and the other
>weird "datacomm" terminology stands for.

  TCP/IP stands for 'Transport Control Protocol/Internet Protocol'
  SLIP stands for 'Serial Line Internet Protocol'

  The Internet Protocol is a method of encoding packets with such
things as source, destination addresses and port numbers (sort of like
apartment numbers in a building).

  The User Datagram Protocol is a protocol that provides the ability
to send a packet (up to 8K usually) to another machine (or all
machines on that network) using IP. It provides no guarantee that the
packets will ever get there (not be lost) or will arrive in any sort
of sequence. Things like 'rwhod' often use this to broadcast that
'who' listing to all machines on a network. I believe that RPC (Remote
Procedure Call) also uses UDP. (NFS is implemented in terms of RPC)

  The Transport Control Protocol provides a stream of bytes (which may also be
a STREAMS interface) to the network. It looks just like a file (more
or less) and makes sure that the bytes will get there, in the right
order, etc. It takes care of resending the data if things get
corrupted, etc.. It is like X or Zmodem in a sense.

  SLIP is a method of sending Internet Protocol packets (UDP, TCP)
over a serial line (modem, packet radio, piece of copper that runs
between cities...)

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | - Pay attention only
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    | to _MY_ opinions. -