[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Handshake2.20 is at ab20.larc.nasa.gov!!!

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (02/08/91)

     Eric has uploaded HandShake2.20 to ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
/incoming/amiga/COMM directory.  (Can't wait to go home and play with it.)

					--George

--

George L. Skank			|
skank@iastate.edu		|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...

alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb8.035928.29972@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>     Eric has uploaded HandShake2.20 to ab20.larc.nasa.gov in the
>/incoming/amiga/COMM directory.  (Can't wait to go home and play with it.)

How come nobody wants to post it to comp.binaries.amiga?
I'd really like to see it there.

--
 _ |__  Alex Matulich   (alex@bilver.UUCP)
 /(+__>  Unicorn Research Corp, 4621 N Landmark Dr, Orlando, FL 32817

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb10.202236.1953@bilver.uucp> alex@bilver.uucp (Alex Matulich) writes:
> How come nobody wants to post [HandShake] to comp.binaries.amiga?
> I'd really like to see it there.

Well, commercial software is not permitted in comp.binaries.amiga, and
the distribution section of HandShake.doc is unclear wether HandShake
is commercial (ie, you *must* pay for it) or `free' ware (pay for it
if you want to, but you're not obligated to do so) -- it says both...
Software authors should take more time to clearly state their terms.

It's safer to err on the side of caution and not post it, though it
will continue to be available via anonymous ftp from ab20.

	...tad

sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) (02/12/91)

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:

>Well, commercial software is not permitted in comp.binaries.amiga, and
>the distribution section of HandShake.doc is unclear wether HandShake
>is commercial (ie, you *must* pay for it) or `free' ware (pay for it
>if you want to, but you're not obligated to do so) -- it says both...
>Software authors should take more time to clearly state their terms.

>It's safer to err on the side of caution and not post it, though it
>will continue to be available via anonymous ftp from ab20.

>	...tad

Tad, since it is *freely distributable* it seems like it still should be
able to be sent from comp.binaries.amiga

I mean, even if Eric says you have to pay for it if you use it, it shouldn't be
considered 'commercial'. It is still free in the sense that you can download
it and peruse it for free. If you like it, you pay, if you don't like it, just
delete it. That is the normal procedure for ShareWare. What I consider
'commercial' is software you have to pay for before you get it.
It seems like anything that can be distributed freely should be able to be
sent through comp.binaries.amiga (with the possible exception of demo software,
which might be considered an advertisement).

Look over at the IBM binaries section, they are always sending through shareware
stuff. If they can do it, we should be able to do it also.

John Sparks        |"Help Fight Continental Drift!"| (502)968-DISK 2400 BPS
D.I.S.K. Management| Email: sparks@disk.UUCP       | 7 lines, public access unix
    *Online Games*Usenet*Email*Chatting*Downloads*Supporting all computers*

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb12.153248.3291@disk.uucp> sparks@disk.uucp (John Sparks) writes:
> tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) writes:
> >commercial software is not permitted in comp.binaries.amiga, and the
> >distribution section of HandShake.doc is unclear wether HandShake is
> >commercial (ie, you *must* pay for it) or `free' ware (pay for it if you
> >want to, but you're not obligated to do so)
> >
> >It's safer to err on the side of caution and not post it, though it
> >will continue to be available via anonymous ftp from ab20.
>
> If Eric says you have to pay for it if you use it, it shouldn't be
> considered 'commercial'. It is still free in the sense that you can
> download it and peruse it for free. If you like it, you pay, if you
> don't like it, just delete it.

But you're obligated to pay, which makes it commercial.  Sure, you don't
pay before you get the software, but that's not different than test-driving
a car.  The bottom line is that you *must* pay.  Software that asks for
payment is not the same, since payment is not required.  The distinction is
subtle.

You'll notice that `payment required' shareware is still available via
anonymous ftp, at least...

The difference between comp.binaries.amiga and FTP is the transport.
USENET is a passive transfer medium, where articles arrive all the
time, even if no one wants them.  FTP is an active medium, where the
user must go get something that interests him.

When a user retrieves a shareware program via FTP, he must go directly
to the archive site and get it.  No (visible) intermediate sites are
involved.

A posting of `required payment' shareware over USENET means that sites
that have no interest in the software are helping to distribute the
software; and eventually someone will pay the author for the software,
yet the sites that propagated it get nothing.  There are sites that
object strongly to this.

> Look over at the IBM binaries section, they are always sending
> through shareware stuff. If they can do it, we should be able to do
> it also.

There's plenty of truly free software for the Amiga, and while that's the
case let's let comp.binaries.amiga concentrate on it.  When there's little
free software for the Amiga, then I'll consider posting shareware that
requires payment.  But I sincerely hope there's never a time when there's
no free Amiga software...

	...tad