[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Handshake 2.20c already crashed on me!!!

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/10/91)

goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) writes:
>Well, I called genie and decided to try out handshake's external support
>for zmodem since that was missing in 2.12a
>I selected xprzmodem in the external protocol and went to download....
>guru.  yep, it guru'd.  Anyone else been able to do zmodem thru handshake
>2.20c??  That was the one thing missing from 2.12a and the only reason

Well It crashed on Me too.. Zmodem said -- Data Error

and GURUED --- a 000003 (or was it a b?)

Time to go back to VLT .. Just got the Newest version of it too -- :^)

VLT is "smart" enough to automaticially kick into RECIEVE mode when
i do a SZ foo.file

(I like that... It's almost Idiot Proof.. Well Resistant!)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
 IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) (02/10/91)

>Time to go back to VLT .. Just got the Newest version of it too -- :^)
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:

But VLT's vt100 is not as good as handshake's.  I found that out very
quickly.

In the meantime, I am sticking with 2.12a (handshake) since 2.20 seems
to offer nothing new that I need (considering the external protocol isn't
working right.)

later,
ross

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/11/91)

       As to VLT's VT100 not being as good as Handshake, have you tried
talking to VLT's author? 8)
       My policy: you send me a capture file of something that doesn't
work or doesn't work correctly, and I will see what can be done within
the limits of VLT's intended purpose (being a communication program
for connecting to the IBM mainframe and to VAX/VMS). Quite frankly,
if it works for me and the people here at SLAC, I have little incentive
to emulate every little bug that's in the VT100 ROMs... But most of the
time emulation problems are easy to fix and they usually make it into
the next version.

      Willy.
----------
Willy langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) (02/11/91)

In article <91041.155242WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>       As to VLT's VT100 not being as good as Handshake, have you tried
>talking to VLT's author? 8)
>
>      Willy.
>----------
>Willy langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

Well, perhaps you  have fixed this in the new version then...in the previous
version, (I'm a vi user) whenever you were backspacing in vi, it screwed up
the display in that area until you then typed a character.  It seemed to
transpose a character or so on the display if I remember correctly.
(each time you hit backspace I mean)

later,
ross

nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb9.193018.14518@rodan.acs.syr.edu>, goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) writes:
> Well, I called genie and decided to try out handshake's external support
> for zmodem since that was missing in 2.12a
>
> I selected xprzmodem in the external protocol and went to download....
> guru.  yep, it guru'd.  Anyone else been able to do zmodem thru handshake
> 2.20c??  That was the one thing missing from 2.12a and the only reason
> I need a handshake upgrade anyways.
> later,
> ross

I have had now problem using Zmodem with the new Handshake.  I have been able
to upload and download files.

I have had Handshake guru on me once or twice, but it has always been on start
up.  I am still trying to determine what the conditions are that lead to it.

Ted Nieland				nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Corporation		nieland@dayfac.cdc.com
(513) 427-6355				ted@nieland.dayton.oh.us

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (02/14/91)

The crashes I've had were due to the serial port contention...  I run
a BBS and when I invoke HandShake it is through a script which deactivates
the BBS from the commandline-specified serial port...  The problem was that
the port hadn't had enough time to settle before HandShake re-opened it and
hence I got a guru when I did things as simple as trying to dial...

I don't know if it was necessary, but I also upped the stack size...

I've not tried the XPR stuff...

Something that might help some of you is to just go to the DEVICE driver
menu item and hit okay on serial.device...  This forces it to close the
device momentarilly and re-open it...  It may have some effect, since in
essence the XPR stuff is "borrowing" the port from HandShake and if it
wasn't properly opened in the first place, problems are to be expected...

BTW, most of this is theory, but it works for me, now...

--Leon