[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] UUCICO failed or worked?

dac@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/11/91)

In article <scot.0101@amigash.UUCP>, Scot L. Harris writes:

> Anyway, I finally got tired of the hanging problems and wrote a script
> that has helped a LOT.  Here it is:
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> .KEY system/a,serunit/a
>
> if not exists t:uucp.lck
>  copy s:uucp.lck t:
>  uucp:c/uucico -U <serunit> -s<system>
>  delete t:uucp.lck
> endif

What I'm irritated by, is not being able to CALL out and get a connect with
whichever of the two sites I call [they're engaged lots of the time].  My
small script finishes, and I either have mail, or I don't have mail (timed out
- no connection).  I have manually repeat the call, instead of having some
loop structure, since I've got no idea if UUCICO plays with return codes.

On reading the MAN entry for UUCICO, I could see no simple way of determining
if UUCICO indicated that it was successful, or that it had failed.

So my question is :  Does UUCICO set some return code that can be examined by
the script that called it, indicating success/failure.

Thanks for listening.

[I looked at the code, it didn't seem to go out of it's way to indicate to
humans that it had failed/worked].

Dac
--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  Send mail to dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au                . .  I am.

scot@amigash.UUCP (Scot L. Harris) (02/12/91)

>In article <18aacb3d.ARN2a90@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au> dac@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) writes:
>
>What I'm irritated by, is not being able to CALL out and get a connect with
>whichever of the two sites I call [they're engaged lots of the time].  My
>small script finishes, and I either have mail, or I don't have mail (timed out
>- no connection).  I have manually repeat the call, instead of having some
>loop structure, since I've got no idea if UUCICO plays with return codes.

Why not do what I have done.  I use dcron to kick off that script I showed
you a couple of times an hour for the sites I call on a regular basis.
Sometimes it connects other times it does not.  In addition to that
script I have encapsulated my terminal programs in scripts as well which
set up the uucp.lck lock so that uucp does not trash a login session.
Hopefully that will not be required once I get a copy of Handshake 2.2
since I have a T2500 and a 2400 baud modem on two seperate ports on the
A2232.  The current version of Handshake must open the serial.device
in exclusive mode and does not allow uucico to open it.

Eventually I will change the script posted here to use lock files
for each specific port.  Could even be changed to attempt calling on
one port and if that did not work it would try the other one.

--
          _
    ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/13/91)

In article <scot.0133@amigash.UUCP>, Scot L. Harris writes:

> >In article <18aacb3d.ARN2a90@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au> dac@prolix.ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) writes:
> >
> >What I'm irritated by, is not being able to CALL out and get a connect with
> >whichever of the two sites I call [they're engaged lots of the time].  My

> Why not do what I have done.  I use dcron to kick off that script I showed
> you a couple of times an hour for the sites I call on a regular basis.
> Sometimes it connects other times it does not.

The problem boils down to cost.  It costs me long distance to call Melbourne,
and I'm only grabbing a miniscule amount of mail from that site. Once a day.

With my newsfeed, I grab 200+K (batched) mail a night, but it is ONLY
available to me at 7.pm.  Until I call the next day (after 7pm), I won't get
any more news.

All I want to do is loop until I'm assured that I've gotten through to a
particular site.  I'm too lazy to go around parsing logfiles to see what the
photon is happening, and I thought that I was missing something obvious, like
a return code from UUCICO.  If I was a little more proficient with C, and
spent less time asking instead of doing, I'd probably have solved the problem
weeks ago.  I hate inventing solutions for already solved problems, if you get
my drift.

> script I have encapsulated my terminal programs in scripts as well which
> set up the uucp.lck lock so that uucp does not trash a login session.

All well and good if you have access to a _continuous_ mail feed. I don't, and
don't need one.

Thankyou for your suggestion anyway.

>     ///  /_\      Scot L. Harris ...!tarpit!bilver!amigash!scot

Dac
--
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  Send mail to dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au                . .  I am.

Walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Walt Sullivan) (02/17/91)

With the permission of my feed site (atronx), I create a 0-byte
file in UUSPOOL: called C.atronxXXXXX (if there are no other
C.atronx????? files). When this file disappears, I have made
contact with atronx.

--

    Walt Sullivan           walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca
                            Fido 1:163/109.4

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (02/19/91)

In article <Walt.2766@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca> Walt@orbit.Amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Walt Sullivan) writes:
>With the permission of my feed site (atronx), I create a 0-byte
>file in UUSPOOL: called C.atronxXXXXX (if there are no other
>C.atronx????? files). When this file disappears, I have made
>contact with atronx.
>
>--

    If you create a 0-length C.atronxXXXXX file in YOUR spool directory,
    *NOTHING* gets transfered to atronx for that particular file.  C.
    files are NEVER transfered, they only tell UUCico *what* to transfer
    (the other two files).

    So you don't need permission or anything, creating a 0-length C.
    file is VALID, gets deleted in your system when UUCico passes it by,
    and effects nothing else.  This is how I figure out whether a uucico
    ran properly or not as well.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon
    Berkeley, Ca. 94708
    USA