[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT 5.034 bug..

myb100@csc.anu.edu.au (02/21/91)

In article <91050.145729WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>         So, there's this bug in VLT 5.034 [...]

>         Meanwhile, if you know of any other bugs that might be fixed at
> the same time, let me know.
>
>         Willy.

Well, there is one thing that gets me. I don't know if it's a bug, or
what, but:

When I use the Tek screen for plots, driven from a FORTRAN program on our
mainframes, sometimes, when text is written out, the text appears on the
VT100 screen, but the TEK screen remains at the front. Some of my programs
draw a graph and then put up a prompt, on the VT100 screen, which I can't see...

If I go to the VT100 screen and answer the prompt, it goes back to TEK (Ok)
but the cross-hair doesn't automagically come back, requiring a r-A-X to fix.

If, also, I use the cursor keys while on the TEK screen, say to edit
text which I mistyped, the cursor disappears (probably to the VT100 :-) )
but when I type characters, they appear on the TEK screen.

This is something that only started happening post 4.2 or thereabouts.

Is there something I can set/toggle/do to get around this ?

BTW - nice to see you on The Net, Willy. Congrats on a nice term program !

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.edu.au  -or-  markus@merlin.anu.edu.au \XX/     | left blank

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/22/91)

Markus -
        What you're seeing is that VLT doesn't *really* emulate a Tektronix
4105 completely. The real 4105 also supports a "console window" with
all sorts of nasty things. Since VLT really was meant to display the graphics
and to do a modicum of interaction using the graphics cursor, it doesn't
have a console window for 4105. Meanwhile, all commands that "look like"
they are intended for an ANSI console are sent on to the VT100 parser
who usually lives on the other screen. There is a setting in the Tektronix
menu that may cause your screen to automatically flip to the VT100 screen
in case a particular sequence is received, but that probably won't help
you. However, depending on how your application handles itself, it might
work better if you try using the Tektronix emulation on the main VLT screen:
this option is in the Tektronix Screen menu. See if that works...

        Willy.
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld