[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] PD Packages

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) (02/26/91)

Can anyone recommend a good PD Comms package?

I just got a 300/300 Baud modem :-(

But then, it was free :-)

Thanks

-=Andy=-

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (02/26/91)

In article <8714@castle.ed.ac.uk> aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes:

>Can anyone recommend a good PD Comms package?

JRComm 1.01 and VLT 5.0xx are both good, and avialable on Fish and
ab20.

>I just got a 300/300 Baud modem :-(
>But then, it was free :-)

I think you got seriously ripped off on that deal :)

Rick

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/26/91)

 > I would say save your pennies for a 2400 baud modem.  They can be had for
 > a little more than $100 these days...

Actually, I've got a copy of Computer Shopper here, and most 2400 baud
modems seem to be in the $80-100 range.... you can even get a c64 2400
baud modem (for whatever reason, since the 64 can't do 2400 all too
reliably with so much as ASCII translation) for $80.  Of course, my
favorite modem of all time is Supramodem 2400 and that does run about
$110. Totally reliable, more so than my Hayes at work.

Of course, for $40 or so more you can probably go MNP....
--
Robert Jude Kudla <kudla@rpi.edu>

Memo to myself:  do the dumb things I gotta do.

kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) (02/27/91)

In article <8714@castle.ed.ac.uk>, aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) writes...

>Can anyone recommend a good PD Comms package?
>
>I just got a 300/300 Baud modem :-(
>
>But then, it was free :-)
>
>Thanks
>
>-=Andy=-

Andy,

I like using VLT, I find it to be very stable, and the scripting capabilities
as well as the Arexx interface are outstanding!!  One thing I would recommend,
is that you upgrade your modem to at least 2400 baud.  Alot of boards require
at least 1200, even more require at least 2400 baud, and a growing number of
boards are 9600 baud only!!!  Free or not, I don't know where you will be able
to call with a 300 baud modem...

Cheers,

JK

* John R. Kendrix                * Disclaimers:  The opinions expressed here   *
* Digital Equipment Corporation  *               aren't likely to be claimed   *
* Customer Support Center        *               by me, much less my employer. *
* Atlanta, Ga.                   *                                             *
* Phone:  404-343-1739           * E-Mail:       Kendrix_J@mims.enet.dec.com   *