[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Compression SuffixeDIR/ALLs

jbernstein@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/01/91)

I have a question regarding the suffixes that are attached to files that I have
FTP'ed from ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

	What does the suffix   .lzh  mean?

   	What does the suffix   .lhw  mean?

I am assuming that they are for the various compression protocals that were
used on these files. What do I need to unpack these files? Where can I find it?

If any one can give me some assistance I would appreciate it. I have been
without my computer for almost a year and having just got it back I am a little
out of things.

Thanks,

Jonathan Bernstein

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/01/91)

>In article <1822@pdxgate.UUCP> algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) writes:
[...]
>.zoo - Zoo v2.01 (I think), Booz (Zoo extractor), file compressor.
>
>I would recommend using LHArc/LZ or PKAZip for files and DMS or Zoom for disks.

Zoo is the compressor/decompressor. This is an excellent archiver, and I
think vastly underrated in the Amiga community. It is widely available on
many different machine types, and the files are compatible with each other
across all machines, unlike lharc. The command line interface on zoo is
also better than that of lharc. It doesn't compress as much as lharc does,
but a new version is said to have a higher compression ratio. Since I work
with five different operating systems, all of which have at least a Zoo
extractor available, zoo is a big win.

--
ben@epmooch.UUCP            ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
{chinet,uokmax}!servalan!epmooch!ben                 (Ben Mesander)

algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) (03/02/91)

jbernstein@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>I have a question regarding the suffixes that are attached to files that I have
>FTP'ed from ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

>	What does the suffix   .lzh  mean?

>   	What does the suffix   .lhw  mean?

>I am assuming that they are for the various compression protocals that were
>used on these files. What do I need to unpack these files? Where can I find it?

>If any one can give me some assistance I would appreciate it. I have been
>without my computer for almost a year and having just got it back I am a little
>out of things.

>Thanks,

>Jonathan Bernstein

Here they are:
.lzh - LHArc, you want LHArc v1.30, LHUnArc v0.?, or LZ v0.91 (the latest
       freely distributable version). LZ v1.00 will be the best, I believe the
       author wants a shareware fee for a fully functional version.

.lhw - LHWarp, same author as LZ and LHUnArc, v1.40 is the latest. This is a
       disk compressor as opposed to file compressor.

Some More:
.zap - Zap v1.41, a disk compressor.
.dms - Disk Masher v1.02, a disk compressor.
.zom - Zoom v4.1, a workbench disk compressor.
.wrp - Warp v1.1 (There about), or unwarp v1.01, a disk compressor.

.zip - PKAZip v1.01, a workbench file compressor.
.arc - Arc, or PKAX (extractor), can't remember versions, file compressor.
.zoo - Zoo v2.01 (I think), Booz (Zoo extractor), file compressor.

I would recommend using LHArc/LZ or PKAZip for files and DMS or Zoom for disks.

Amiga is die beste! 'n IBM is 'n rekenaar? Die Mac is net 'n vrot appel!
algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu   Portland TrailBlazers now 44-13 and KICKING ASS!

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Mar1.022038.39529@eagle.wesleyan.edu> jbernstein@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>What does the suffix   .lzh  mean?

This means that the file is an archive created with the archiver "lharc".
It could contain 1 file, or many, including directories

>   	What does the suffix   .lhw  mean?

This means that the file is an archive created with the archiver "lhwarp".
lwarp archives entire disks as blocks, so that the actual disk structure is
retained, and not just the file contents.  Note that if you lhwarp a disk
with a boot-block virus on it, the virus will be archived as well.  (This
seems to be the major drawback to using this).  This method allows archiving
turnkey type disks.

Both of these should be on ab20.  I don't know if and/or where they are, but
a quick grep of FILE.Z should point them out to you.  Also, virtually any
BBS will have these.  Many BBS's require that all uploaded files be .lzh
archives.

--
		Dave Schaumann		dave@cs.arizona.edu
'Dog Gang'!  Where do they get off calling us the 'Dog Gang'?  I'm beginning to