[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Still got modem problems

PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) (03/11/91)

A while back I posted a question about a problem I was having with my modem
and JRComm, and how when I connected to BBSs, the high speed light would go
off and garbage would stream across the screen. Needless to say I would have
to shut off the modem and reset it.

I foolishly made a crack that JRComm could be a little flakey at times.
Instead of getting a straight answer I started a war over JRComm's alleged
flakiness.

This nuisance problem still exists, and I need some help. Can I get an
answer this time without starting a flame war? I really don't want to go
back to Access!, but if that's what it takes to get a 2400 baud connection
without a hassle, so be it.

.signed,
-----
Andy Patrizio            |  Internet: pyc136@uriacc.uri.edu
Class of 2010            |  ARPA:     pyc136%uriacc.bitnet@brownvm.brown.edu
University of RI         |  Usenet:   andypo@idsvax.ids.com
                         |  UUCP:     uunet!rayssd!idsvax!andypo
-----
"I think grown-ups just ACT like they know what they're doing" - Calvin
-----

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (03/11/91)

In article <47142@nigel.ee.udel.edu> PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) writes:
>A while back I posted a question about a problem I was having with my modem
>and JRComm, and how when I connected to BBSs, the high speed light would go
>off and garbage would stream across the screen. Needless to say I would have
>to shut off the modem and reset it.

The conditions you describe could be caused by your modem connecting at
1200 baud in stead of 2400 baud (due to a poor line, perhaps).  This has
occasionally happend to me.  If your modem generates a message like
"CONNECT 2400" when a connection is made, you can set the "Dialer auto-baud"
option in the modem parameters, and JR-Comm will automagically know what
baud rate to run at.  IMHO, Jack should probably make this the default
setting...

BTW, I use JR-Comm with a 2400 baud modem with no difficulties all the time.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (03/11/91)

PYC136@uriacc.uri.edu (Andy Patrizio) writes:

>A while back I posted a question about a problem I was having with my modem
>and JRComm, and how when I connected to BBSs, the high speed light would go
>off and garbage would stream across the screen. Needless to say I would have
>to shut off the modem and reset it.

  Two questions.  First, if you dial with JR-Comm manually (don't use the
dialer), does this still occur?  Second, what baud rate is shown in the status
line below when you do use the dialer?

  Off-hand I'd say it's got something to do with having autobaud active and
not having the modem set to return extended result codes for the CONNECT
response.

  -jack-