[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Second serial port

mlknol@cs.vu.nl (Knol Marcel L) (03/12/91)

Hello outthere,

	I have an Amiga B2000 with a modem, connected to the
serial port. Now I want to connect an IBM PS2/30 to a second
serial port.  Can someone give me advice on a good board and
its price.
	Are  there  any limitations  or problems  that could
occur? Can someone describe the null-modem cable I need?

Thanks in advance,

Marcel Knol
--
Marcel Knol,                           ...!mcsun!hp4nl!star.cs.vu.nl!mlknol
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam,          <mlknol@cs.vu.nl>

stevef@bug.UUCP (Steven R Fordyce) (03/14/91)

In article <9280@star.cs.vu.nl> mlknol@cs.vu.nl (Knol Marcel L) writes:
>	I have an Amiga B2000 with a modem, connected to the
>serial port. Now I want to connect an IBM PS2/30 to a second
>serial port.  Can someone give me advice on a good board and
>its price.

One option is the MultiPort board from DigiFeX.  The MultiPort board adds
the following to an Amiga 2000 or 3000:

		A printer port

		An RS232 port on a 9 pin DIN

		An RS422 port on an 8 pin mini DIN

		Optionally ($50 extra), a SCSI hard disk controller

The printer port is meant to free up the Amiga's parallel port for things
other than printers, like digitizers.  The RS232 port has the same pinout as
a standard AT serial port.  The RS422 port can be used as a serial port (it
has the same pinout as a Mac and takes the same cables) or with DigiFeX's
Interact software ($80) can be used to network Amiga's on an AppleTalk
compatible network.  The SCSI controller is one of the fastest 8 bit
transfer controllers available for the Amiga.  The MultiPort board costs
$250 (U.S.).

If it is not already obvious, yes I work for DigiFeX.

				     Steven R Fordyce
				 uunet!sequent!ether!stevef

DigiFeX, 610 Main Street, Oregon City, Oregon  97062, USA
For customer service or orders, call (503)656-8818, FAX (503)656-8903