[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] vt100-Kermit problems

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/17/91)

>In article <91076.230737IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET> IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET writes:
>I have been using an older version of VT100 to transfer files to
>my local computer center (Technion, Haifa, Israel) and after completing
>the transfer the BYE command fails to stop Kermit.  The only way for me
>to stop the activity is to physically hang up the line.  Then when I
>redial to the IBM VM/CMS it is still waiting in Kermit mode and doesn't
>permit me to even sign on again.

I use an old VT100 with the remote kermit in server mode and don't have the
problem you describe. However, it is not a 'BYE' command that the VT100
program sends, it is actually a 'FINISH' command, which in the kermit spec
is supposed to stop the remote server and drop you to the OS level. 'BYE'
is supposed to log you out in addition.

With my particular setup, I have to talk to the kermit server over a seven
bit link with mark parity set, and I have not found another PD comm program
that will handle it as well as VT100. The other programs I've tried with
kermit are VLT and HandShake. It's a pity because both VLT and HandShake do
better VT100 emulation than VT100, and have more features in general.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

IERBS02@TECHNION.BITNET (03/18/91)

I have been using an older version of VT100 to transfer files to
my local computer center (Technion, Haifa, Israel) and after completing
the transfer the BYE command fails to stop Kermit.  The only way for me
to stop the activity is to physically hang up the line.  Then when I
redial to the IBM VM/CMS it is still waiting in Kermit mode and doesn't
permit me to even sign on again.
  Has anyone encountered this problem?  Is there another PD comm prog with
Kermit for the Amiga?  If so please let me know.  Would it be possible to
transfer it to me electronically? Or is it preferable to send it

via regual mail on a diskette?   I will be more than happy to
pay postage and send a blank diskette in return.
  Thanks.       Ben Stern        IERBS02@Technion.bitnet
  Mail address:    Kariv 5/2, Haifa 34761   Israel

vansickl@bnr.ca (Greg VanSickle 1561848) (03/19/91)

Yup! I have the same problem. The solution is to send another
file and give it a blank name. After Kermit complains that
the file's not found you can then successfully send the bye
command. The bug is still in the most recent version.

Greg VanSickle                                    Silicon Support

Bell Northern Research                          phone: 613-763-5160
PO Box 3500                                       ESN: 393-5160
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
K2H 8V4                                         email: vansickl@bnr.ca

Vancouver van cu' ver  n.   where we should all be, as opposed to
                            where I am